Dev Diary Feedback: Character Creation & Open Beta

Users who are viewing this thread

Most of my questions are answered in your various diary posts!

Speaking of which, I just want to thank you guys for giving out such good info as you are able too, I really appreciate the work the team is doing and I am looking forward to the upcoming open beta and full release :smile:

^ I second this.

I really appreciate the effort that you guys have put into this project.

Thanks for the feedback folks.  It is always good to hear the effort is well received.

HeadWound said:
I just want to thank you guys for giving out such good info as you are able too...
Sometimes it is nice to take a break and share where we are at.  These diaries serve another purpose in being our description of a given game change in greater depth instead of cluttering an overall version description.  This is of course when features do not go through significant updates since their diary.  Tournaments for example received additional work so their description will be updated to match at open beta release.

The more dev diaries I read, the more I think this should be 3.0 (Because of the huge changes  :lol:).

I like that there is more background options, they are always important for setting the mood.

Leberecht Reinhold said:
The more dev diaries I read, the more I think this should be 3.0 (Because of the huge changes  :lol:).

I like that there is more background options, they are always important for setting the mood.

i agree. Its far more than what i expected. im sure the modders did far more than they anticipated.

There has been some mention on this topic across the board.

The formations are being worked on and developed by Caba'drin (and the original creator). The problem is as far as we know not the code in itself, but the heavyness of floris is causing the problems. In battle the engine clocks up and doesnt process the orders anymore or processes them wrongly. Because of this there is no definite answer we can give to when it will be fixed, simply because we can not know. Its a trial and error path of improving the code and easing the load of the mod. We are doing that, but - yet again - there is no saying when things will work as desired.

Hi, monnikje, Duh, Caba`drin, Windyplains, and whomever else is on the Floris team,

I've been playing your mod for a while now and thought I should create an account here to say thanks for your hard and excellent work!

Looking forward to 2.5.

Thank you very much for the kind words :smile: Its appreciated.

While we arent releasing a beta today, some progress notes:

- major mtt bug fixed
- seafaring bug fixed
- custom troops are verified working (only slightly tested so far)
- pbod is updated to latest version - and it seemed like formations are working (1 test :razz:)
- freelancer is currently being added, fixed and updated
- troop to hero update is being fixed

The game is pretty clean from what i can tell, nothing gamebreaking in, though some minor bugs are to be expected. The last big things we have to tackle is an installer and all the text that goes with a beta/release.

Well the upload will take a while, we will want to discuss a few things as well and generally prep stuff. This week is likely.

Thanks for the ETA, Duh. This will stop me refreshing the Floris board every 10 minutes.  :lol:

At least until tomorrow...

Now that folks have seen the new options at character creation I was curious what people's thoughts were on the diversity of options?

If there is any additional choices folks want to have added at a minimum you need to describe:
[*] The category it belongs in.  (father, early life, later life, reason)
[*] The background text that goes with it.
[*] Any bonuses you feel are appropriate to that addition.  They need to balance with the others of that group, but I'll give me feedback on how it may need tweaking.
[*] (optional) Any special bonuses (which reduces the normal ones for balance) that background should have.

To make it easier for us to get an overview of the current options, could we have a spreadsheet of all available choices and their effects? Something like this would be swell.

eastpaw said:
To make it easier for us to get an overview of the current options, could we have a spreadsheet of all available choices and their effects? Something like this would be swell.
Because you asked nicely.  And because anyone with a lot of time on their hands could recreate this list using the information now shown at the bottom of character creation screen.  There are some items not displayed here, but this shows the basic balance of each choice.
character%20backgrounds.PNG
I won't likely change what is already on that list.  That column to the far right shows how everything balances out based on what we "weighted" benefits as.  It took a fair bit of tweaking to get things roughly balanced as is.  The manual column was to take into account things not in this original spreadsheet (like foraging).

Windyplains said:
Because you asked nicely.

Lol, thanks, Windy!  :lol:

Will take a look at that data and see if I can think of anything else you might find interesting enough to add to the options.

By the way, I have an Excel spreadsheet that I use to pre-plan a character's and his companions' development. 2.5 has completely ruined it (lol) but I will probably bash it back into shape once the stable build is released. Would you or anyone else be interested in it? Please be advised that it's nothing all that great or wonderful though.

Edit:

Here are some Later Life options I have put together. Please feel free to use or ignore any of them:

Shop owner (not itinerant like pedlar)
2 INT
1 Inventory (warehousing)
3 Trade (daily buying and selling in bulk and on small scale)
(alternatively, 2 Trade and 1 Persuasion)
No weapon prof
2,000 gold and/or goods

Craftsman/ artist (dexterity-based, unlike Smith)
1 AGI, 1 CHA (or 2 AGI?)
1 Inventory (raw material and product management)
2 Persuasion (getting patrons to commission works)
No weapon prof
500 gold and fine clothing

Robber/ looter/ bandit (violent version of thief)
1 STR, 1 AGI
1 Power Strike and/or Power Throw/ Power Draw
1 Athletics
1 Looting
1 Spotting
60 weapon prof distributed among 1H, Bow, Xbow, and/or Throw
10 gold (like Thief, probably spends it all) and some armour and weapons

Mounted bandit/ steppe bandit (mounted version of looter)
1 STR, 1 AGI
1 Power Strike and/or Power Throw/ Power Draw
1 Riding
1 Looting
1 Spotting
Perhaps 1 Horse Archery
50 weapon prof distributed among 2H, Pole, Bow, Xbow, and/or Throw
10 gold (like Thief, probably spends it all) and armour, weapons, horse

Manhunter/ slaver (because no existing option gives Prisoner Management skill)
1 STR, 1 INT
1 Weapon Master
1 Riding
3 Prisoner Management
35 1H weapon prof, 10 Pole
100 gold, blunt 1H weapon, horse, light armour

Gladiator (performing warrior)
1 STR, 1 AGI, 1 CHA
1 Iron Skin
1 Power Strike
1 Shield
1 Weapon Master
1 Athletics
35 1H weapon prof, 35 2H
20 gold, 1H weapon, 2H weapon, armour

Drillmaster (because no existing option gives Tactics or Trainer)
1 STR, 1 CHA
1 Weapon Master
1 Leadership
1 Tactics
2 Trainer
(I know the stats don't match the skills)
30 1H weapon prof, 30 2H, 30 Pole
10 gold, 1H weapon, 2H weapon, Pole weapon, basic armour

Prostitute - female only (because this is supposedly the world's oldest profession and I thought it would be interesting - but this might not be palatable or allowed)
2 CHA
1 First Aid (I'm assuming customers aren't always very nice)
4 Persuasion
5 1H weapon prof
30 gold, knife, sexy or fine clothes

Spy (you know: those guys disguised as townies you have to give silly pass phrases to)
2 INT
1 Power Throw
1 Tactics
2 Persuasion
20 Pole weapon prof, 25 Throw
5 gold, wooden staff, throwing knives, town resident clothes

Teacher (because no existing option gives Tactics or Trainer)
3 INT
2 Tactics (this is a teacher of military strategy and tactics... ahem)
3 Trainer (assuming academic teaching skill translates to military teaching skill... er....)
No weapon prof
15 gold, 2 books
Ok, so this one is a stretch....

I know I'm supposed to write up the background text as well, but I hope you don't mind if I work on that only after you indicate which ones you are possibly interested in.

Back
Top Bottom