1. create separate textures and add them to the modules Textures directory. insure that they have distict names not listed in the M&B texture directory.
2. open Thor's BRF editor, and import the mesh from F:\Program Files\Mount&Blade\CommonRes\horse_meshes that the original dds was scammed from. the saddle_horse.dds and meash is different from the war_horse.dds and mesh. so if your version of warhorse1.dds came feom war_horse.dds, import the war_horse from horse_meshes to your new BEF file.
3. in the BRF editor also add your texture name (ie warhorse1.dds) to the texture section, and your materials name (i'd just call it the same name, warhorse1) to the materials section.
4. go back to the mesh. should show an original horse, textured as it was imported (or it may be white, with no default material). change the material name to the same name you have the edited material to (warhorse1). and , viola! it'll magically turn your horse into the new skinned horse.
5. save the brf file to the mod you are adding it to, in the mod/resourses directory, with a unique name. it'll automatically add the BRF to the mod_info.txt file.
6. THEN open up your module_system directory, open up your module_items.py (in text format, i use windows notepad), find the horses section. you then gotta copy one of the horses and edit the name and mesh address
["warhorse","War Horse", [("war_horse",0)], itp_merchandise|itp_type_horse, 0, 2480,abundance(3)|body_armor(20)|difficulty(4)|horse_speed(13)|horse_maneuver(
["warhorse1","DonRocco's War Horse", [("warhorse1",0)], itp_merchandise|itp_type_horse, 0, 2480,abundance(3)|body_armor(20)|difficulty(4)|horse_speed(13)|horse_maneuver(
you can edit all the charge and values, etc. if you want to have your character start with it, you'll haave to assign it in the module_game_menus.py at game start. otherwise it'll show up as randomly as any other horse in the game.
save, compile, play. debug until you start swearing at me. post that you think i suck. have someone else re-explain it better. the m&b community has a bit of forum sport with me. you finally get to play with it in game, by the 21st post.
and there you have it. maw