Official 3D art thread - Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

RMOD-Dylan said:
Oh, and a quick look at your portfolio site has quote "old work". Give it a rest.

yup, old work, but isn't posted here. you know why? no point. people post here to receive critiques and improve, just like jacobhinds nicely said.

RMOD-Dylan said:
So dont post 3D work people might like to look at in an art thread for 3D work? I get what you're saying, but that guy was being a troll. I wasn't looking for a critique, but if someone wants to respond, it better not be why did you post art in an art thread like a troll. It wasn't constructive and was troll bait. A better response from our friend here would be, "". Nothing AT ALL!

Besides that, its relevant to something important to me. Its not a "dump" of a project, even as my post stated it was intended to be redone for a 3D print. So not only was his point moot, he didn't even bother reading my post describing the work. Funny how internet tough guys show up to try and ruin the fun of artwork.

Is there a thread for other 3D art to post this on? Please show me.

i don't troll on people. you want constructive criticism on something that's maybe 3-4 years old? here is what annoys me, i don't know you so i might be wrong but your posts that have 3D stuff in them are all 2-4 years old, might be even more. you are either overly attached to your work, or you are lazy to do new.

i'm going to assume that you are attached to your work, because as an artist i would never show work that's older than 6 months and post it somewhere just so i can get no critiques. that is WHY i asked you what's the point.

and if that last model is going be redone, then why not post the REDONE version of it instead of old that you found from who knows how long?

CurtisWS said:
RMOD-Dylan said:
Oh, and a quick look at your portfolio site has quote "old work". Give it a rest.

yup, old work, but isn't posted here. you know why? no point. people post here to receive critiques and improve, just like jacobhinds nicely said.

RMOD-Dylan said:
So dont post 3D work people might like to look at in an art thread for 3D work? I get what you're saying, but that guy was being a troll. I wasn't looking for a critique, but if someone wants to respond, it better not be why did you post art in an art thread like a troll. It wasn't constructive and was troll bait. A better response from our friend here would be, "". Nothing AT ALL!

Besides that, its relevant to something important to me. Its not a "dump" of a project, even as my post stated it was intended to be redone for a 3D print. So not only was his point moot, he didn't even bother reading my post describing the work. Funny how internet tough guys show up to try and ruin the fun of artwork.

Is there a thread for other 3D art to post this on? Please show me.

i don't troll on people. you want constructive criticism on something that's maybe 3-4 years old? here is what annoys me, i don't know you so i might be wrong but your posts that have 3D stuff in them are all 2-4 years old, might be even more. you are either overly attached to your work, or you are lazy to do new.

i'm going to assume that you are attached to your work, because as an artist i would never show work that's older than 6 months and post it somewhere just so i can get no critiques. that is WHY i asked you what's the point.

and if that last model is going be redone, then why not post the REDONE version of it instead of old that you found from who knows how long?
I assume English is not your first language, and actually it isn't because I know you more than you know me. So heres the thing I will re-iterate... I am not looking to get a critique. Im simply showing artwork in an artwork thread. Yes I get attached to my work, because I AM AN ARTIST. You might be good at what you do too, but you're not very good at communication. Communication being the point of this forum, and every single forum ever created. Can we talk about art, or are you going to blabber on to try and provoke a response like a troll would?

Oh, and along the lines of personal insults, have you ever been paid for doing 3D or are you stuck posting your resume in a country where 3D jobs are hard to find? Non-Disclosure agreements are a real thing.

Docm30 said:
Is taking the high road a concept completely foreign to the lot of you?
Im guessing its because I am new to the forums, but personal attacks seem to be the norm here. Not digging it one bit.

Docm30 said:
Even if someone does launch a personal attack on you, and I don't think that they did, replying with further personal attacks is hardly the adult thing to do.
Care to say anything about art, or art related topics?

Hello, just want to if possible get some feedback on the current state of my scene borders OSP.
It's still a work in progress but I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Big images.

The textures change the world map textures too.
JIHXRCF.jpg
AmOJ20v.jpg

Anyone who wants to have a better look or try and help fix the shader issues can download a Beta.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4tl3sdrumalsk6w/LHrV06i88K/Warband

Please don't release this anywhere else as it's not finished, just intended for modders or anyone else interested.​

ShaunRemo said:
Hello, just want to if possible get some feedback on the current state of my scene borders OSP.

Big images.

JIHXRCF.jpg
AmOJ20v.jpg

Anyone who wants to have a better look or try and help fix the shader issues can download a Beta.

Please don't release this anywhere else as it's not finished, just intended for modders or anyone else interested.​

rgcotl said:
well dont know ppl
but i think ppl with early wips shouldnt post here at least it is "3d art thread"

Just kidding, they look good. :razz:

My favourite is the really bumpy green hill border.

The ones with a lot of pine trees might need another look; the size and spacing of those distant trees seems off.

Edit: omg, rgcotl is watching this thread. I actually agree with him about early wips, in case he's wondering.

Docm30 said:
Is taking the high road a concept completely foreign to the lot of you?

To me, yes. I never take the high road.

ShaunRemo said:

Big images.

JIHXRCF.jpg
AmOJ20v.jpg

I really like the borders, but the trees could use a bit more height differentation? Looks a bit too copy-pasted to me.

ShaunRemo said:

Big images.

JIHXRCF.jpg
AmOJ20v.jpg

The shader issues were quite easy to get rid of/cover up. I cut the whole thing into two pieces, one "inner" section with the vanilla border shader (diffuse_no_shadow iirc), and the rest with yours.

it looks perfectly fine as long as you don't go too high with the camera, but then again hardly anything in the game does. I could eliminate even that issue by making the "inner" section a bit larger. the problem is finding the spot where the terrain is far enough to nullify the fog effect, but not so far that it falls outside the draw distance.

ignore the snow trees in grassy terrain. that's an issue on my side.

Nlvip.jpg

Going too high with the terrain causes this:

G8ALu.jpg

I've been looking into the borders, and it looks like the best solution would be to do what Jacob suggested. The only other one that I can think of (and have come down to after much trial and error with flags and shader combinations) is to create a new shader which combines the "diffuse_no_shadow" with the skybox shader's view distance properties.

Thank you everyone for the feedback it is greatly appreciated.

Slytacular
: It'll be released OSP so anyone can use it and stick in their own mods.

jacobhinds
: That is a nice solution for the moment however, during different lighting conditions the outside section will display incorrectly unfortunately.

Parrot: I'm currently talking to someone who knows a bit about HLSL code for shaders and that's what the end goal is, I tried to do this myself but it went right over my head.

Trees: I'll will re-do the tree texture with more transparency/fading  and try to make the trees in border more varied however to reduce poly count they are a single plane with a wrapping texture.

Aaaand enough of WIPs on this one, it's finally done after painful hours of renders and re-renders!

I present you Thirsha, Huntress of Zhon:

13542005205_ebde707171_b.jpg
13542005205_0d4823ccbf_o.jpg

@Shaun:

Very curious to test it myself, this is how a proper horizon should look  :smile:

SacredStoneHead said:
Aaaand enough of WIPs on this one, it's finally done after painful hours of renders and re-renders!

I present you Thirsha, Huntress of Zhon:

13542005205_ebde707171_b.jpg
13542005205_0d4823ccbf_o.jpg

@Shaun:

Very curious to test it myself, this is how a proper horizon should look  :smile:

Well all of those long hours definatly paid off! She looks gorgeous!!

Back
Top Bottom