Author Topic: Caribbean!  (Read 161491 times)

Úlfheðinn

• Language Moderator
  • Professional Swede
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandit
Re: Mount and Blade: In the Caribbean!
« Reply #150 on: July 13, 2012, 03:34:58 PM »
Just having an idea hardly gives one total control over everything to do with said idea, and admitting it wasn't, strictly speaking, their idea (although lets be honest... it wasn't a terribly original idea in the first place) seems pretty damn fair and honest to me.

I have no problem with the mod being made, I just find it simplistic to say it doesn't matter who originally presented said idea.

"I am Polands of Freedom!"

Puppy

• Grandmaster Knight
  • Pretty Pretty. Also, Japan.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
  • MP nick: HoboKnight_Puppy
  • M&BWB
« Reply #151 on: July 13, 2012, 04:00:14 PM »
It's hardly simplistic at all-- if some random guy had said "Hmm, a pirate mb mod would be cool", would you call Yoshi dishonest for using that idea?
Grand Duke Quirin "Q-Hawk" Hawk of Baraduin, Emperor of the Rising Sun

Úlfheðinn

• Language Moderator
  • Professional Swede
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 13, 2012, 04:09:20 PM »
If I recall correctly he did a little bit more than say he thought such a mod would be a good idea.  :wink:

But in your example I would not call him dishonest for using said idea, I would only do so if he then claimed he was the first person to present said idea.

"I am Polands of Freedom!"

Austupaio

• Flagging in his old age
  • Grandmaster Knight
  • Permanent Posting Ban
    • View Profile
  • WBNW
« Reply #153 on: July 13, 2012, 06:40:32 PM »
My problem is not so much whether or not it was Yoshi's as the simple fact that Yoshi would do it better.

That and I actually like him and might give him money, unlike these others.

lord_olafson

« Reply #154 on: July 15, 2012, 05:01:04 AM »
My problem is not so much whether or not it was Yoshi's as the simple fact that Yoshi would do it better.

That and I actually like him and might give him money, unlike these others.

+1

Puppy

• Grandmaster Knight
  • Pretty Pretty. Also, Japan.
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: HoboKnight_Puppy
  • M&BWB
« Reply #155 on: July 15, 2012, 05:09:58 AM »
It seems a tad early to say who can do it better (and that's not dissing Yoshi, I lurve his work, but it seems a bit soon to bash on these guys).
Grand Duke Quirin "Q-Hawk" Hawk of Baraduin, Emperor of the Rising Sun

Argeus the Paladin

• Grandmaster Knight
  • Byzantine/TLD/PoP Fanboy
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
  • WB
« Reply #156 on: July 15, 2012, 05:18:15 AM »
I think the most important issue is whether they used any of Yoshi's assets or not. You see, ideas are cheap. Like, a dime a dozen or less cheap. Every teenage boy high on Mountain Dew has one or a dozen. It is what you do with that idea that is important. Assets - writing, coding, graphic, characters and character designs - are a completely different issue altogether.

Which is why ideas aren't copyrighted, while assets usually are. Taking other people's ideas and build upon it is slightly unethical at worst and completely legit at best, but taking other people's assets is outright IP theft. Big difference.

Austupaio

• Flagging in his old age
  • Grandmaster Knight
  • Permanent Posting Ban
    • View Profile
  • WBNW
« Reply #157 on: July 15, 2012, 05:21:28 AM »
I doubt they did, Yoshi's new assets haven't been released as far as I know (excluding a few items in Hunt mod) and his old ones aren't really, eh, suitable for a new game.

Also, judging from the what was in the ancient version of Yoshi's Pirates! as compared to the released Beta video, and indeed some videos Yoshi posted a few months ago - I hold that Yoshi would've done it better.

Bromden

• Grandmaster Knight
  • Got mead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 17, 2012, 10:10:48 PM »
Here's a Q&A with Snowbird from the Pirates Ahoy! website. Link

(click to show/hide)
Brombem, i see you are stubborn like a goat!!!
Answer the questions bromen.

Orchid

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • MP nick: Wigmund/RowlandThrockmorton
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #159 on: July 18, 2012, 08:03:48 AM »
Doesn't look too shabby, I fear I'll end up buying this regardless of its reception.
i'm american **** off.  We got cheap fuel and medium hot girls who are stupid and we think they are hot because we are so liquored up and on drugs.

YourStepDad

• Grandmaster Knight
  • a small boi wonders.
    • Skype - ivan.shalamon
    • Steam - stepdad
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: YSD/Mitu/Crabtree
  • WBWF&SNW
« Reply #160 on: July 18, 2012, 08:37:41 AM »
I wish somebody asked "How relevant will the armor be and what types of armor can we expect?"

Since I know very little about the usage of armor in the 17th century Carribean, and the pirate setting in general, but I'm a sucker for armor and I certainly want it. :P

Slawtering

• Grandmaster Knight
  • Even in Death, May you be Triumphant
    • Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/Slawtering/
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #161 on: July 18, 2012, 09:29:08 AM »

After With Fire and Sword, the team wished to take the series further and move the action westward - from the steppes of Ukraine to the shores of the Great Lakes. As kids, we all totally loved the Westerns of East German making and worshipped Fenimore Cooper’s novels about Hawkeye and his comrade Chingachgook. So, we wanted to do a sort of tribute to the heroes of our collective childhood. And a game about Great Lakes is ought to have river transportation, with the player being able to build pirogues and sail them over the rivers and lakes.

We’ve built a small test map featuring canoe-riding Indians attacking an English fort from water
- the English fired cannons and could sink enemy boats with direct hits. Just for laugh, someone offered to supply the poor Iroquois with a couple of canoe-mounted cannons of their own, so they would fire back. And then, it was only one step to full-scale naval battles. Having decided to get back to our beloved Indians, scalps and Beaver wars later, we moved the setting to where the fleets could really rule the day - the Caribbean archipelago.

Damn I could have played as a British soldier killing innocent natives.

Bromden

• Grandmaster Knight
  • Got mead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 18, 2012, 12:03:10 PM »
Here's another Q&A from a website called RipTen. It mostly covers the same things, and not as thorough as the PA! one, but it tells us that Snowbird aims for a release this fall.

(click to show/hide)
Brombem, i see you are stubborn like a goat!!!
Answer the questions bromen.

Gewehr98

• Veteran
    • Steam - gewehr98
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: 87th_Foot_Fus_Alexander
« Reply #163 on: July 21, 2012, 05:18:46 AM »
I'm sad that there isn't the possibility for multiple players to crew the same ship (or maybe that can be modded into an mp server?).

I wonder if any mod team would be brazen/ballsy enough to try to recreate the full map (or a large map) and have a PW type server with an economy and stuff.

lolwarrior

• Knight at Arms
  • I will kill in battle you and then say lol.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sarranid
  • MP nick: lolwarrior
  • WBWF&SM&BNW
« Reply #164 on: July 21, 2012, 09:23:49 PM »
Doubt it as no big modders considered WFAS but HOPEFULLY they'll be interested in the possibilities of modding a naval game.

Here are some things I got confirmed from pm's with Imper1um a while ago:

-Multiple ships versus multiple ships - yes.

-Multiple ways to board enemy ships - we're planning to do this one.

-Able to deploy small boats that you can use for transferring from ship to ship - you'll be able to set any ship of your fleet through a special screen but not during the fight.

-Climb up the sails - no, but you'll be able to look through telescope and *maybe* control the steering wheel

-Bots using cannons - yep.

-Ships with multiple levels - ship have classes and can be upgraded with better cannons and more experienced crew. Ship's HP and speed are getting better from class to class.

-Able to fire canons personally with avatar or give orders to crew to broadside - yep

-Maybe sword in one hand and pistol in other? - No, we can't do that on the current engine unfortunately.

-Animated flags that move with the wind - yes

-Able to custom paint your fleet - you can set customizable flags for your ships.

-Bring back Warband features - we'll probably make some kind of tournaments suitable for the era.

-Expand on marriage - marriages don't make much sense in the pirate setting but we'll probably work around that.

-Ships that have multiple stories- by that I mean that you can use stairs or ladders to go to deck or the bottom - yeah, you can do it during boarding.

-Ships that rock with the waves - yep.

-Fishing as in a minigame??  - maybe but not for sure.