Two Questions: Tournament Prizes and Right-to-Rule

Users who are viewing this thread

vako

Sergeant at Arms
Hey

First, this mod is superb, brilliant job, I'm loving playing it.

Second, two questions:

1) Are tournament prizes just random, or is there some criteria to enable you to get them or make it more likely that you will get them? 

I've had one game where I got a prize every time I won a tournament, most maybe every second or third time, but my present game, I've won eight tournaments and haven't got a single prize.  The only thing I can think that I've done differently is that on some of them I've made bets, where as I wasn't doing that very often in other games.  Oh, and I'm playing as a Germanic Pagan, where usually I would play as a Celtic Christian, not sure why this would influence anything, but you never know.

And do we have a list of the available prizes?

I've identified the Princeps Sword, Wolf Lorica, Armoured Greek Horse and Byzantine Arrows. Are there any more? (More would always be good of course, but hardly necessary.  I think that tournament prizes are a great idea, and what is included at present is perfectly adequate.)

2) Can you begin to establish Right-to-Rule before making your own conquest of fort or town?  And am I right in thinking that you raise your Right-to-Rule by sending out companions and making speeches in towns?  Are there other methods?

Thanks everyone for their time, and the team for a great mod

You need some renown before prizes will be available. Something between 100-200, iirc.
And you need to finish tournament undefeated in every round.
Still they are random and they does not always have prize even if you meet these conditions.

To get right to rule you can give speeches (Brytenwalda), send companions on rtr (right to rule) missions (Native), win big battles (Native), be in a faction when peace is declared for that faction (Native), competitions (Brytenwalda but they're called tournaments in Native), random events (Brytenwalda), priests (Brytenwalda) and Kingdom Bards (Brytenwalda).

I don't know much about prizes in competitions other than the fact that you get them if you win.

Edit: I got confused halfway between rtr and renown. I striked through the ones for renown.

Abyrvalg said:
You need some renown before prizes will be available. Something between 100-200, iirc.
Still they are random and they does not always have prize even if you meet these conditions.

Renown would probably explain it, I wasn't doing many tournaments until somewhat later in most other games, while I started competing right from the beginning with this character.

Abyrvalg said:

I can confirm that this is wrong; I got prices even when I didn´t stay undefeated. and I´m not sure about the renown issue either; I once got the wolf lorica in my first tournament shortly after startng the game.

The Wolf Lorica is undoubtedly the most valuable price; but I guess that the byzantine arrows are also usefull to those who play as archers (what I found little rewarding, because I never hit anything even when havein an archer profiency of 200).
The princep sword, a "sword fit for a prince", is simply ugly and not very usefull compared to other swords and especially to axes. And the greek horse is an absolutely awesome idea, but it is very usefull as it can´t break through enemy lines and is also slow. Besides that, it is ugly. Poor  Fury.

The Princep Sword is still a decent sword and if it isn't better than your just give it to a companion or sell it. I use the Greek horse because it takes a little longer for it to get killed.

Makememove said:
Abyrvalg said:

I can confirm that this is wrong; I got prices even when I didn´t stay undefeated. and I´m not sure about the renown issue either; I once got the wolf lorica in my first tournament shortly after startng the game.

The Wolf Lorica is undoubtedly the most valuable price; but I guess that the byzantine arrows are also usefull to those who play as archers (what I found little rewarding, because I never hit anything even when havein an archer profiency of 200).
The princep sword, a "sword fit for a prince", is simply ugly and not very usefull compared to other swords and especially to axes. And the greek horse is an absolutely awesome idea, but it is very usefull as it can´t break through enemy lines and is also slow. Besides that, it is ugly. Poor  Fury.

I don't think you have to remain undefeated, I believe that I have also had prizes when I was allowed to continue after a defeat.  The renown makes sense in my experience, but it may not be correct, prize-giving may be completely random.

Princeps Sword would be "Leader Sword".  Princeps was not used to mean "prince" until modern times, even in Medieval Latin it just means "first man", not "prince", even though we get "prince" from it, and in some situations English "prince" can be used in a similar way to the Latin princeps
The sword is reasonable among swords, but not as good as most balanced or tempered swords. I don't play with axes as a rule, so I can't compare.  The Greek horse isn't that great, its few extra hit-points don't make up for its lack of speed, but you can give it to a mate or sell it.  I was thinking at one point that it would be nice to have a stabling option in your Lair or castle.  The Wolf Lorica is nice.  Tournament prizes are more about the imersion than the usefulness, in my opinion.  There is a certain swagger to going about in armour on a horse you won in a competition when you're role-playing.

I was playing last night, started a new character just for the heck of it, and have reached the conclusion that:

Competition prizes are completely random.

Two weeks in with a new character who had done bugger-all except work in villages and get himself beaten up in melee fights, I jumped into a competition I ran across by chance.  Got myself eliminated quick-smart.  So I went out to a nearby village to work for 24hours.  Next day went back to the town to sell the chicken or whatever I'd earned, and the competition was still going, so, what-the-heck, I'll have another go, somehow, through shear dumb luck, I managed to win.  Wolf Lorica turns up in my inventory, pity I can't wear it any time soon 'cause I'm only level 3.

So, it does not appear to have anything to do with renown, level, day of the competition, winning every round, or anything I can think of, it's random.

Ah Well.

Back
Top Bottom