Author Topic: Unusual Microphone problem with Windows 7  (Read 1284 times)

Sir Prince

• Formerly Reformed Spammer
  • Grandmaster Knight
  • I was a cat before it was cool.
    • View Profile
    • http://i.imgur.com/vhB0a.png
  • Faction: Neutral
  • MP nick: Sir_Prince
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
Unusual Microphone problem with Windows 7
« on: August 19, 2011, 08:22:34 PM »
I have a Corsair HS1 Analogue and a Sound Blaster Audigy 4. I've had people say my mic (when I get it working) is even better than the one from my previous headset (Sennheiser 161). However, in order to get it working I have to do a very odd settings change at least once if not twice a day.

Recording Devices -> Properties (of the mic) -> Advanced -> Default Format. I then change the default format to, well, any of the settings and it probably will still give a gurgly/garbled/fuzzy (apparently I sound like aquaman at times) sound. If I change it again (usually to one at the opposite end of the list, IE from CD quality to the max Studio quality, or vice versa) it usually will work for several hours until it randomly garbles up again.

I'm glad I found a way to get it to work, however its a rather annoying issue. Anyone have any ideas about a permanent solution (other than RMAing the headset)? I'm wondering if it might be an issue with Windows 7 itself, or if its an issue with the Creative drivers for my sound card.
"Thank you for flying Delta Business Express. We hope you enjoyed giving us the business as much as we enjoyed taking you for a ride."
"Gaze upon our well-oiled nipples, Persian dogs, and despair, for they are the last ones you will ever see!" - Darian
"Witcher, is that the game where you run around sleeping with women for their pokemon cards?"  ChurchOfFonz

mr.master

• Grandmaster Knight
  • A Proud Christian, A Member of Knights Of WEe, 6-1
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: WEe
Re: Unusual Microphone problem with Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 08:29:51 PM »
Hmm. Any older drivers? Have you checked from google if there have been any problems with that headset?

Sir Prince

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 01:40:14 AM »
Hmm. Any older drivers? Have you checked from google if there have been any problems with that headset?
The headset doesn't have any drivers and there aren't any older ones, I just installed Windows 7 two weeks ago.
"Thank you for flying Delta Business Express. We hope you enjoyed giving us the business as much as we enjoyed taking you for a ride."
"Gaze upon our well-oiled nipples, Persian dogs, and despair, for they are the last ones you will ever see!" - Darian
"Witcher, is that the game where you run around sleeping with women for their pokemon cards?"  ChurchOfFonz

Archonsod

• An old salt from the mainland
  • Forum Legend
  • Beannachd Dé Rígh Alban
    • View Profile
    • My Gamer's Gate profile
  • MP nick: CoR_G_Archonsod
  • M&BWBWF&S
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 10:43:32 PM »
Possibly a codec issue. Try getting installedcodec and deactivating any codec on there which doesn't have Microsoft as the provider.
Scottish if forced, English by will and reiver by grace of blood.

Sir Prince

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 10:38:50 PM »
Okay finally getting around to this again, the mic in my Corsair headset died yesterday so I'm going to RMA it (the cord is also fucked up to hell and back level of twisting itself up, this is utterly ridiculous).

However, I am still having the same issue but with my old mic which I have gone back to using.

These are the non-Microsoft codecs/drivers, any idea which one might be removable without ******** anything else up?

EDIT: The gurgle noise has also been nicknamed "the Aquaman voice".
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:43:11 PM by Sir Prince »

Sir Prince

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 11:06:17 PM »
I tried deactivating all of the non-Microsoft codecs but it didn't do anything and now the problem is getting even worse (my HS1A mic also died a while ago so I went back to my old Sennheiser 161). Sometimes there will simply be NOTHING transmitted, and today I have spent 20 minutes trying to get a clear sound, it often works when i test it in Teamspeak3's options, but then when I actually try talking to people it ****s up again.

Sir Prince

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 10:24:03 PM »
And now my second mic has stopped working, for no reason at all. What the ****?

Sir Prince

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 10:46:50 PM »
Okay this problem is still going on and is really PISSING ME OFF.

It is obviously a problem with Windows 7, because I didn't have this problem before and it doesn't matter which microphone I use. Today I have spent the last 15 minutes trying to get it to work, and it hasn't accomplished anything (though usually it doesn't take that long). Every time I think it works (sounds fine in the testing in the options) I join a teamspeak channel and it goes back to an unbearable fuzz. It isn't a problem with Teamspeak either.

EDIT: Could be an issue with the audio drivers for my soundcard, the last ones they had were for Vista iirc, but I think I installed/updated them after this problem started occurring.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:54:45 PM by Sir Prince »

Fehnor

• Grandmaster Knight
    • Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/fehnor
    • Twitch.tv - warbandna
    • YouTube - fehnor
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • MP nick: KoA_Fehnor
  • M&BWBWF&S
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 11:03:01 PM »
Best solution = USB Sound Card. Make sure you choose one with microphone input.

As cheap as PCI
Simple installation

You can also buy them with headsets.
-- when anger overflows, the tongue wags unrestrained.

Sir Prince

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 01:10:12 AM »
I have a working headphone and a clip on mic (that I got in January/Febuary), I'm not buying a new headset that may not even solve the problem. EDIT: I misread your post, sorry, I didn't realize there were USB sound cards that weren't part of headsets (for some reason). Still hoping to not spend any money right now though.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:39:47 AM by Sir Prince »

Kevlar

• Grandmaster Knight
  • Premier of The People's Republic of Chaikas
    • Steam - nksharp
    • Twitch.tv - nksharp
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 03:44:58 AM »
Should have bought another Sennheiser.
Find a new avatar you are not scaring anyone.

Sir Prince

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 04:38:58 AM »
That wouldn't have changed anything since the mic isn't the problem :/

Cowdude

• The Detective
  • Grandmaster Knight
  • Your low character is subject of Greek plays!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
  • MP nick: ♥HaroldWuv♥
  • M&BWBNW
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 05:08:40 AM »
Err, sorry if you considered this already, but eh.

Did you try seeing what recording device you use for teamspeak? You might have one of those built in mics or just a webcam one, they're notorious for giving lots of static and buzzing sounds.
I am the watchman on the wall. The speaker of truth. A man of God. The guy that cares for your soul. You would do good to remember that.

Sir Prince

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 10:03:04 PM »
Err, sorry if you considered this already, but eh.

Did you try seeing what recording device you use for teamspeak? You might have one of those built in mics or just a webcam one, they're notorious for giving lots of static and buzzing sounds.

No, I don't. I'm just going to buy a new soundcard as my mic sounds even BETTER on my laptop which only has an integrated one.

Sir Prince

• Grandmaster Knight
    • View Profile
  • M&BWBWF&SNW
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 06:08:05 AM »
I bought an ASUS Xonar DG and it fixed the issue entirely. Although I did have to turn off the "Front Mic" option.