Mount & Stick V0.3-- An OotS-inspired mod for Mount&Blade (for vanille M&B only)

Users who are viewing this thread

ArcaneSaint Presents

Mount & Stick
An OotS-inspired mod for Mount & Blade​

What is it?
Mount & Stick is, as stated in the title, a module for Mount&Blade, which brings the characters and locations of the popular webcomic The Order of the Stick into Mount&Blade. Each of the native factions has been replaced by a faction based upon the events and characters seen in the webcomic. If you haven’t read the webcomic, suffice it to say that this mod will contain spoilers (see below). All troop trees have been replaced, many new companions have been added, towns have been renamed (and eventually a completely custom map will be used).

About the mod
This mod is VERY subject to change, as the lore on which it is based is not yet complete. As more sides are added to the epic struggle for the Gates (I’m thinking of the Dwarven Kingdom here) they will most likely be added/replace the current factions. According to the comic it also seems likely that one day there will be a split between Redcloak and Xykon, if/when this happens the “Xykon’s Horde” faction will most likely be split as well.

Disclaimer(s)
This  is the first time I have ever used the module system, so please don’t be too harsh, just enjoy the content that is already there and try to provide your own wherever you can (see “now hiring”).  Also, if you want to contribute but I haven’t been clear enough in this post, feel free to ask me your questions, anytime.
Also, lots of credit to the Giant. And, if he, in all his Wisdom, takes offence with the existence of this mod, I will take it down, no matter how much it cries and begs for mercy.
Legal Disclaimer: The Order of the Stick, OOTS, and all character names are trademarks of Giant in the Playground and are used here with explicit permission from the creator.
You are free to help this mod by sending in submissions in the form of code, written dialogue, models or artwork. But please do refrain from using any copyrighted material in these submissions, or uploading stuff other people made without their permission.

Spoiler warnings
This module contains, or will at some point in time (and space!) contain, spoilers about:
*  The free online available webcomic “The Order of the Stick”
*  The book “On the origin of PCs”, available for purchase via Ookoodook.com
*  The book ‘Start of Darkness”, available for purchase via Ookoodook.com
I take no responsibility if your enjoyment of these comics has been ruined by playing the module. Though for the most part, it’s not really that much of a spoiler, and can often only be identified as being spoilerish if you’ve already read the comic that is being referred too (in which case you might also get the joke, as a bonus). Mostly however, reading OotS will increase your enjoyment of this mod, but not reading it won’t ruin it either.
Even this post contains spoilers, many of which are NOT marked, continue reading at your own risk.

Installing/Uninstalling
To install simply download the installer located here: http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=3234, and run it by double-clicking, selecting it and pressing enter or right-clicking it and selecting “OPEN” [or the equivalent in whatever language your system uses]. It should work on its own from there, but you *might* have to point it at the right directory. Also, there’s no readme… yet. But everything you need to know is here, and if you have any questions please do ask, so I/we can create a FAQ. Or am I supposed to think of the things most people would ask and put them in a FAQ, but then it wouldn't be a *real* FAQ, right?

MODULE INFORMATION
The Team
Project Leader(s)  -  ArcaneSaint

Special Thanks to
Rich Burlew AKA "the Giant"  --  For making the "The Order of the Stick" webcomic
Taleworlds  --  For making Mount&Blade
Talak      --  Unique Armory (lots of models and new weapons such as the halberd)
Taleworlds' Modding Q&A thread -- For helping me whenever I got stuck
Janus – Installer

What’s new?
V0.3:
*Fixed bug where a spellbook wasn't required to cast spells.
*A new, slot-based Magic System.
*An Easter Egg for the people from giantitp.com (you'll know it when you see it)

V0.2:
*Fixed bug where “Animate Dead” and “Mass Heal” had infinite range.
*Improved damage on Disintegrate, is now less useless but overpowered.
*Made Xykon undead.
* “Undead” can now be selected at character creation
* Some minor fixes I forgot to mention: Mass Heal now has a light effect, Animate Dead clouds now vanish quicker.

V 0.1:
* initial release

Features
*  Five unique nations, each with their own unique troops
*  Undead
*  Paladins
*  Undead Paladins (in a sense)
*  The Holey Brotherhood
*  New companions
*  New “art”-work
*  Magic, both strategic (cast on world map, like Overland Flight) and tactical (cast during battle, like Fireball) [Read "Magic" section for more information]

To Do
*  Custom map (see above)
*  More custom models, to make the factions resemble their in-comic counterparts.
*  Implementing custom skeletons (dwarfs, goblins, giants, etc.)
*  More companions
*  Balancing, lots of balancing (personally, I think Xykon’s horde is a little bit too weak in combat, but that should change once magic abilities are worked in/finalized)

Known bugs/exploits
* The "wizard" selection at the beginning of the game is overpowered, that is because it was originally there for Bugtesting purposes (so I didn't have to buy my spells again every time I changed them) it gives you +10 arcane magic, and +LOTS of skill points. Game ruiner.
* No limit on magic use, spamming Disintegrate==winning the battle.
* Disintegrate overpowered, deals damage equal to 7*(Arcane skill level), ignores armor.

Screenshots
All screenshots are in spoilers, this won't improve loading times but will keep this thing readable. Some screenshots will have stopped working after I removed them from ImageShack.

mb1w.jpg
The main menu, the only thing that changed here is the logo at the top. Also, one of the custom battles is the siege of azure city, and the first custom battle could be considered a spoiler from SoD, so start that one at your own risk.

mb2xk.jpg
The factions screen, as you can see, all custom factions. No custom artwork for the factions yet though. But I'm sure the community can help with that, right?

mb3e.jpg
Me leading about 6 Ghost-Martyrs of the Sapphire Guard against a Hobgoblin patrol (reinforced by two Undead, zombies or ghouls)
Also in the upper right corner is the spell selector, which reminds me I have to give detailed instructions about that, oops. Done.

mb5y.jpg
Me casting Disintegrate into the air, the effect fades away after 1~2 seconds, so I actually had to cast it thrice to capture this footage, I was moments to slow to take the screenshot before.

mb6p.jpg
An enemy Zombie, Ghoul or Wight charging at me. I left my Ghost-Martyrs behind so I could take some screenies. Yes, I know they have beards, but somehow the game crashes when I remove all their beards, I’ll look into it.

mb7t.jpg
Me turning some enemy corpses into Zombies, yes the giant black clouds might cause some lag on slower systems, if you experience trouble I could make an option to toggle smoke effects on/off, shouldn’t be too hard to script, so I’ll do it anyway once the more pressing matters/bugs have been dealt with.

mb9hb.jpg
This is something you don’t see every day, a paladin celebrating victory along with some undead abominations. Anyway, victory is ours, now onwards to confront Xykon himself!

mb10f.jpg
Here we are at Dorukan’s Dungeon, the main base of operations for Xykon. I try to solve the issue of me slaughtering their patrol by explaining I was actually just looking for the Holey Brotherhood gang that lurks in the nearby mountains, but couldn’t find them. It didn’t work and I had to bribe my way in.

mb11o.jpg
Witness, the great lord XYKON, admittedly a bit disappointingly un-undead and without a crown, dressing the lords up wasn’t really high on the list of things I wanted to get done before initial release. OUTDATED, the new Lord Xykon has an undead face, with no hair. The crown is still missing though.

mb12n.jpg
Also, Lord Shojo, how are you holding up old chap?

mb13d.jpg
This is one of the travelling wizards that sell spells and spellbooks, the next image shows the purchase spells menu.

mb14.jpg
There, just select the spel you’d like to buy and voila, you just got ripped off by a (probably) drunk wizard, don’t you feel proud. Right now he sells everything you need, later divine spells will be sold by priests/clerics along with holy symbols.

mb15r.jpg

mb16r.jpg
The camp menu for casting spells, right now only a spellbook is required, later on divine spells will require a holy symbol.

mb17m.jpg
In the left corner, Bozok, leader of the thieves guild. In the right corner, Nale, claimant of the CEBST. What dark conspiracies will come forth from the twisted, evil, criminal minds of these two villains, will they betray each other, will they finally exact revenge on those who wronged them? Find out in the next episode of… “Two guys in a room staring at walls”.

mb18g.jpg
If my memory is correct (and it always is) the leftmost guy is Right-Eye, the one in the middle is Lors Daigo Da-, and the rightmost one is the Claimant of Somewhere.

mb19h.jpg
And here I’m talking with Daimyo Kubota, who is telling his version of the facts of what happened at Azure City.
That concludes all for now, have fun!

Now hiring
We (At the moment, it’s just me actually) need:
*  Modelers who are able to create 3d models (and textures) and convert them into formats that can be “read” by Mount&Blade. You can probably find tutorials on the converting and implementing via the Taleworlds.com forums, under the Module Development subforum. I do not know if there are different procedures for models for M&B, Warband, or With Fire and Sword, try to make sure you follow the correct tutorials. I have no experience at all with creating 3d models, so I can’t be of much help there. The goal is to recreate the items/equipment seen in the comics as in-game items.

*  Similar to the above, animators/modelers able to create skeletons for M&B, to create more variety between the races (ie: dwarfs, humans, goblins, giants, sylphs, etc).

*  Playtesters, this means not only playing but also letting us know about bugs/exploits etc… Any advice on balancing will be greatly appreciated, as I didn’t really have much time to test the long-term effects of every change I made while creating the module.

*  Map/area designers, to create custom cities, villages, castle and a custom overland map. Perhaps this page could be of assistance, also there are apparently detailed maps in books 3 and 4.

*  Coders, ie: people who are able to perform advanced scripting with the python files that are used to compile M&B modules, specifically to recreate the effects of several magical spells (healing, teleporting, summoning, etc.) in-game. (It’s way more fun to do this myself, but help is always welcome)

*  Writers, to write better dialogues for the custom companions and lords. No knowledge of the module system is required for this, you can write in any way/style you feel most comfortable in. Though if you would follow certain conventions (see spoiler) it would make integrating your writings into the game easier, but if you don’t want to I can modify it for you but some nuances may get lost in the transition. If the Giant himself would like to contribute (unlikely), that would be awesome.
This is the way introductory dialogue is shown by the game, I’ve given examples to clarify. If possible, divide the text for companions into these parts:
1) Greeting (eg: would you care to share a drink with me?)
  1a)player response: positive (eg: please continue..)
  1b)player response: negative (eg: get your foul breath out of my face, fool!)
2A) Backstory intro (eg: let me tell you my story…)
2B) Backstory main (eg: I was the son of a wealthy family and next in line for the throne of my country. But alas, my jealous brother conspired with the nobles to kill father and me and take over the throne. I could barely escape with my life. Once I have enough money I will gather an army and one day I will return to my land, avenge my father and take back what is rightfully mine)
2C) Backstory pitch (eg: But for now I must focus on honing my skills as a warrior, am I ever to hope overthrowing my brother. If you know someone who would hire a warrior and a noble, please let me know.)
  2a) player response: positive (eg: I am looking for able men, can you fight?)
  2b) player response: negative (eg: I wouldn’t know anyone like that.)
3A)Signup part1 (eg: of course I can, I can defeat any man in honest duel)
3B) Signup part2 (eg: I have learned the art of fencing from the greatest teachers known in these lands)
  3a) player response: positive (eg: Good, you will be useful)
  3b) player response: negative (eg: One-on-one combat only? Sorry, but you’d be better off in tournaments than on the battlefield.)
4) payment (eg: sorry to bother you with this, but before we depart I will need 300 gp to settle my tab with the innkeeper.)
  4a) player response: positive (eg: Allright, take this and get ready, we leave at dawn!)
  4b) player response: negative (Seems to be hardcoded: “I can’t afford that right now”)
There are also some additional lines, such as when the player meets the npc again after some time has passed, or when the npc wants to leave the player’s party, or when the party passes nears the npc’s hometown (or another location on the map), if you want to add some dialogue but are unsure how to proceed I could try to figure out what all code snippets mean, but it'll take some time.

GAMEPLAY INFORMATION
The Nations
There are five nations in Mount & Stick:
1– The Azurite Kingdom, a nation known for its nobility, especially their infighting. Their military is focused on heavy cavalry (paladins), though they have some medium-level archers and foot soldiers.
Claimant: Daimyo Kubota

2 – Xykon’s horde, the sworn enemy of the Azurite Kingdom. They do not possess any mounted troops, but their high-level undead can drain the life out of anyone they touch (not yet implemented). They focus on melee-combat, supported by small regiments of Hobgoblin archers.
Claimant: Right-eye

3 – The Consolidated Empires of Blood, Sweat and Tears, a coalition of oppressive governments led by General Tarquin. This fascist empire is known for its efficient death squa– There are no assassins whatsoever in the Empire, only Amateur Snorkelers. Military is focused around tough melee guys and throwing weapons. It is also the only nation to use crossbows instead of bows.
Claimant: Nale [depending on how the Tarquin/Haley’s father arc develops this might change to Haley’s father, whose name I forgot]

4 – The United Kingdom of Where, a coalition of the kingdoms of Nowhere, Anywhere, Somewhere and the democratic state of Someplace Else. They have a fairly average military, though their Royal Guards will make short work out of any cavalry.
Claimant: Claimant of Somewhere [As you could have guessed, the UKW is sort of a generic-faction, a placeholder perhaps for future nations, such as the dwarves, the fate of the UKW is up to the community]

5 – The Thieves Guild, masters of deception and stealth. They will plunge their daggers into your flesh when you least expect it, and if they are faced in open combat they will rein death from above with their deadly archers. Thanks to their fighter outreach program they now have a solid means of protecting their archers.
Claimant: Old Blind Pete
Troop Trees
(I hope you can read these, I couldn't get the indentation to work)
Azurites:
--------------Archer
-------Rogue
--------------Ninja
Recruit
-------Fighter-----Spearman-----Paladin-----Paladin of the Sapphire Guard-----Ghost-Martyr of the Sapphire guard
X’s Horde:
---------------------Hobgoblin Archer
--------Hobgoblin recruit
----------------------Hobgoblin fighter
Hobgoblin
------Zombie------Ghoul------Wight------Black Squadron Wight
Empire:
-----------------Gladiator-----Arena Champion
-------Bounty hunter
-----------------Assassin-----Death Squad assassin-----Bleedingham Amateur Snorkeler
Recruit
-----------------Soldier-------Dragoon
-------Guard
-----------------Crossbowman
Kingdom:
-------------------Horseman
-------Soldier
-------------------Archer
Recruit
-------Pikeman-----Honor guard-----Royal Guard
Guild:
-----Rogue-----Archer-----Sharpshooter
Recruit
----------Assassin
-----Thug
----------Fighter

Special troops/unique abilities
Thieves’ guild sharpshooters have an almost infinite supply of arrows (about 230), meaning they will almost never run out of ammo during a fight. But they’re useless in melee combat.

The Empire’s Arena Champions are the strongest men alive, having proved their worth in the numerous arenas of the Empire, but they don’t usually have good (or any) armor so they rely on a large reserve of health points to soak up damage.

Royal Guards from the United Kingdoms are the terror of every cavalry charge, their halberds tear through horsemen like a knife through butter, while their heavy armor protects them against the charge.

The Azurite Ghost-Martyrs are one of the most feared units on the battlefield, their holy weapons inflict massive damage while their incorporeal form makes them very resistant against any kind of damage.

But all of these pale in comparison to Xykon’s undead forces. The mere mention of them sends men running in fear, and if you face them in combat, their paralyzing and draining touch will leave you completely defenseless.

Characters
Eventually, every named (and many unnamed) characters from the comic will make appearances in the mod. Right now only a few characters from the OotS cast in included, and for these characters there is still a lot of unwritten dialogue. Any contributions you can make will help.
Characters that appear in the game (and the online comic):
Roy Greenhilt (OotS)
Durkon Thundershield (OotS)
Elan the Bard (OotS)
Haley Starshine (OotS)
Belkar Bitterleaf (OotS)
Xykon (Team X)
Redcloak (Team X)
Tsukiko (Team X)
The Hobgoblin General (seen in Strip 452) (Team X)
The Monster in the Dark (Team X)
Soon (Team A)
Hinjo (Team A)
Shojo (Team A)
Daigo Da- (Team A)
Kazumi Kato (Team A)
Lien (Team A)
O-Chul (Team A)
King of Somewhere (UKW)
King of Nowhere (UKW)
King of Anywhere (UKW)
Prime Minister of Someplace Else (UKW)
Nale (Linear Guild)
Crystal (Thieves’ guild)
Hank (Thieves’ guild)
Yor (Thieves’ guild)
Toby (Thieves’ guild)
George (Thieves’ guild)
Tarquin (Empire)
High Priest Malack (Empire)
Miron Shewdanker  (Empire)
Kilkil (Empire)
SoD characters:
Right-eye

Magic System
Ahh, the magic system, I’m really proud of this by the way, it was real fun to make. Although I should warn you, it’s still just a prototype. That is because I have come at a stage in the development that cannot be done without Community Inputtm. Let me explain, right now the magic system works this way: First you buy the spell (if your arcaneine skill is high enough), then in combat you select it and cast it, there are no cooldowns or use limits. I now have the choice of changing it to either a system which has a cooldown between consecutive casts or I could make a system with “spell slots”, ie: every spell can only be cast X times (you’ll have to fill your spell slots in the camp menu). In the case of the latter it would be possible to make a “sorcerer” option at character creation, granting spontaneous casting.
No matter which of these is chosen, it will be a lot of work, I’ll inevitably have to rewrite some pieces of code. That is why this decision is so important, as it will be very hard to change the system again after that.
How to use magic: In order to use magic, you must first acquire a spellbook, these can be bought from travelling wizards you’ll find in taverns. Those wizards also sell the spells you’ll want, but only if your skill-levels are high enough. To use a spell on the overworld, simply go to the camp menu and select “manage spells”, to use them in battle use b and v to cycle through your battle spells, and use g to cast them. Not all spells can be used during battle. The screenshots will show you more information.
But enough about that, you want to see what spells you can cast, right? Well, here’s the (current) spell list. If you think a spell is missing feel free to submit it, if you do not think a spell is missing, you’re not thinking hard enough.

Magic System Overhaul: See further in thread (page 2)

ARCANE SPELLS:
Level 1 : Mage Armor (adds 20 to head, body and legs armor)
Level 3: Bull’s Strength (adds 4 to Strength)*
Cat's Grace (adds 4 to Agility)*
Owl's Wisdom (adds 4 to Intelligence)*
Eagle's Splendor (adds 4 to Charisma) *
Level 5: Disintegrate (fires a thin, green beam in a straight line to where you’re looking, it deals damage, though I have yet to find a comfortable formula to determine the damage.)

*Only one of the four enchantments can be active at one time. Also, by spending the acquired skill points gained by Owl’s Wisdom you can end up with negative skill points when you dismiss Owl’s Wisdom

DIVINE SPELLS:
Level 1: Purify Food and Drink (should restore “Rotten” meat to ordinary meat. Untested)
Level 3: Mass Heal (heals entire party)
Level 5: Animate Dead (when cast on world map: creates undead soldiers equal to your Divine level. When cast in battle creates these soldiers only if there are enough corpses left.)

Banners
That's right, it is well known that the best way to spread a mod is by shoving images with link to the mod into the face of everyone who will ever read one of your posts. So here is a collection of all banners created by the community and me.
NOTE: My banners will most likely suck since I'm a coder, not an artist, but that's what the section below was invented for :wink:

These banners will link back to this thread, if you want a banner for the other forum go to the main OOTSmod thread of that forum (Giantitp or TaleWorlds) and get a banner from there. Just copy the code below the image and past it into your signature.

Made by me, just a quick-and-dirty copy-paste job, it's not the prettiest thing you'll ever see, but I hope it gets the job done until something better shows up

Code:
[URL=http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=187369.0.html][IMG]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/8674/testbannerx.png[/IMG][/URL]

Challenges

That’s right, challenges. In an attempt to lure people into providing quality content I the team has decided to introduce a system which challenges the members of the community into delivering specific pieces of artwork. The typical reward for these challenges is an honorary mention in the “Special Thanks” section. Note however that these challenges are (usually) only meant to get minor, but time-consuming, stuff done. Also, none of this stuff is of vital importance to the project, they are mostly esthetic value stuff. A list of current challenges can be found below.

What’s in a name?: The challenge: provide an original and catchy name for the OOTSmod. The winner will be decided via community poll after enough names have been submitted. The winning submission will become the new (and definitive) name for this mod and the name of the creator will be mentioned in the “Special Thanks” section
Contestants:
1) Mount & Stick
2)
A picture is worth a thousand words.: The challenge: provide the best OotS-inspired artwork possible for the main- and loading menu artwork. Right now the standard pictures (some guy on a horse, another guy on a horse, an archer on a horse etc.) are still displayed, but we’d like to see this changed to something more in-theme.
The winning pieces will be displayed in-game, and the names of the creators will be mentioned in the “Special Thanks” section

Spread the word… In style: The challenge: create the best-looking Mount & Stick banner to put into a signature on forums. After all, what use is a project like this if you can’t automatically brag about it inform people about it in every post you make. The winning pieces (top three) will become available as banners (I’ll be making a new section for them) and the names of the creators will be mentioned in the “Special Thanks” section.

Now get cracking.

Legal notice: Please refrain from using any copyrighted, offensive or morally questionable material in your submissions. Violators will be shot.

Other forum threads
Giantitp: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...php?p=11841719
Taleworlds: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=187369

A final word
I'd like to thank the Giant again for making the webcomic, and the whole community for being so nice which gives me the courage to post this without having to fear instead fiery death.

I don't have Warband, and multiplayer doesn't really say me that much so I probably won't buy it anytime soon. Though if someone else were to buy it for me...  :mrgreen:

Edit: I've sent a message to Highelf asking to move this thread to Cartographer, since it has a release. I don't know whether he was the right mod to go to or not, so if the right mod happens to read this, please consider moving this thread to the released modules forum. Thanks in advance, ~~ArcaneSaint
Thanks.

An Order of the Stick mod? Absolutely fantastic idea. Title had me both curious and in stitches. Unfortunately I can only see the first four screens, though. :sad:

Yeah, I noticed the thread at GiantItp is having troubles displaying the screenies as well, is this something common with ImageShack? I'll look into it right now.
Ahh, got the problem, apparantly the TW forums automatically put [ URL ] tags around certain links, even if these are already between [ IMG ] tags, and then it does.. weird.. things with the link, ruining it. But it's fixed now, so it's none of your concern. Have fun!

I just received a message from a representative of The Giant who informed me that this mod should be taken down temporarily. Once all issues have been resolved it will come back. My apologies for the inconvenience.

About magic limit:

What about limiting attack spells per spellpower?

There is for example a 'magic missile' spell.
You create a 'magic missile' weapon which has a spellpower requirement of 1. That weapon will allow you 5 shots.
Also, you create a 'magic missile advanced' (or something) which requires a spellpower of 3 to equip, but has 10 shots.

Similar to javelins > large bag of javelins.

Or if this doesn't work (I don't know if there can be more, bigger bags, like extra large bags, or infinite bags of javelins :grin:)

You create a magic missile weapon, which has 1 shot.
You also create ammo, named 'spellpower 1' which give +5 shots. The spellpower 2 ammo can give +10 shots, The spellpower 3 ammo can give +10 shots and +5 damage, etc.

Similar to bow and arrows, or even better.

I'm probably going to take the D&D approach, as that one is the most fitting with the OotS theme. Meaning you get new spell slots whenever you level up, these spell slots are different for each spell level and such, so you have X 1st-level spells ready, Y 2nd-level spells etc. You then choose in the camp menu which spells you want in which slots (once more spells are added that means you'll have to choose between a supporting or offensive build, and plan ahead, ie: what spells will I be needing for the next confrontation). More details will probably come with the next update (V0.3). Of course, I won't be able to do so until after some Intellectual Property issues have been settled. In the meantime I have some time to work on the mod, although with From Dust being released tomorrow my schedule might just be rearranged a little bit...  :razz:

OK, copyright issues resolved. Just give me two or three days to make sure everything in the mod is in accordance to the agreed-upon terms and I can resume distribution again. I recently changed from XP to Win7 so I'm gonna have to hunt down some skins I used (I only made a backup of the module system code, but didn't backup the actual mod folder with the custom stuff *facepalm*).

No direct usage of the artwork (in this case, the banner and the "order of the stick" text in the menu header), name has to be changed (but I can add a subtitle "an OotS-inspired mod for M&B"), a disclaimer stating  "The Order of the Stick, OOTS, and all character names are trademarks of Giant in the Playground and are used here with explicit permission from the creator."  has to be added (I already had something that said basically the same thing, but this is the correct legalese statement), and I can't ask money for it (obviously). Oh, and no objectable content (like explicit sex or overt political messages).

Just the usual actually, some things to make it clear that this is OotS-inspired and not an official OotS product. And some things to make sure I can't (indirectly) involve the Giant in questionable acts.

He still retains the right to change his mind. But as long as the mod keeps to those simple terms it has nothing to fear. I will have to add a disclaimer to the OP-challenges part to warn people not to use copyrighted materials though.

Changing the mod to reflect these new terms took me about 5 minutes. The time to install M&B and get the backup files for the Python codes and change the mod title. The images were already gone after the big system migration. The biggest problem is that I lost all custom resources, I managed to get Talak back but now I can't find the undead skins again. Damnit. And I also lost the files were I kept track of the used resources, so I can't look them up there. It will take me probably around two to three days to find them and get everything working again.

If anyone still has the old "OotSmod" files, can you please send the "undead" textures and resources to me please? Thanks. (note to self, cross out this line as soon as I have the undead textures). Ooh, I got lucky, I found them minutes after this post (typical, search engines work much better when fueled with irony)! Update coming tomorrow (tomorrow evening probably).

Now I'm going to get this OP to confirm to the terms. Oh, and some images will be broken as I am deleting those that are in conflict from my ImageShack, don't be alarmed.

EDIT: So yeah, it'll be a couple more hours 'till I can upload as the repository doesn't seem to be working right now. On none of my browsers.
EDIT 2: Still can't access the MBRepository, will try again tomorrow. My apologies.
EDIT 3: Now I'm getting "502-bad gateway" on the repository.  :cry:

All right, it's up again and it should be working fine.

If you encounter any bugs please let me know.

Edit: And the giantitp thread is also up. It's also getting quite late (or early) here, I should probably get some sleep before sunrise. So If there are any problems it will take at least until tomorrow 'til they get fixed.

Okay folks, I'm putting this here to clear some things up.
First: the next update (0.3) is taking me (quite a bit) longer than expected, this is because university has started which leaves me with little time to fix a very annoying bug in the new magic system. I would release it, but it would be lacking the "Animate Dead" spell (as casting that one kind of crashes the game).

Second: I've finally decided on the order of updates, and what the content'll be for the next 4 updates.
Update 0.3 will contain the new magic system and an easter egg.
Update 0.4 will add a lot of cosmetic changes to make the in-game characters resemble their web-comic counterparts more closely. I'll also finish up some companion-speech then.
Update 0.5 will add the beginning of the main quest line, alongside some minor side-quests
Update 0.6 will once again be cosmetic, adding custom skins for races such as goblins. I'll also look into how to add custom skeletons to a mod, though I can't guarantee they will appear in this release.

Of course, these updates are only what I, as one man, am planning to do. If there is a large demand for certain things I will do them instead, and perhaps there will be some bugfixing inbetween. And these are only the main changes, every release will probably also see some additional stuff, such as extra items, troops, spells etc. And if some good soul makes some goblin skins and sends them to me, he'd have my eternal thanks. And an honorably mention in the credits section.
I will also have to add a custom map sometime, unfortunately there are no accurate maps of the OotS-verse yet.

All right, I've got good news and bad news.

Good news is, I've managed to fix the bug that delayed the V0.3 release.

Bad news is, the fix will require me to build an additional frame of code around the whole magic system, which will take a few hours.
More bad news, in a few hours it will be past midnight, and it's school tomorrow. University isn't easy, so next week will once again be quite busy.
Even more bad news, my internet is having trouble. Everything I up/download moves at a crawl. Meaning it will take at least an hour to upload the new version once it's finished. It should be fixed by the 6th of october.

So the update won't be arriving till the end of the week.

Also, you are free to create/upload vids of this mod in action. I don't have time for that at the moment, but I will try to create one eventually.

Hmm, i'm not the best Python coder in the world, but i'm still learning.
And i'd like to help you code this mod, i think it could be fun for me and improve my skills quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom