Why the hate for Harlaus?

Users who are viewing this thread

Itzpapalotl said:
Its mostly because he campaigns less than the other kings and calls feasts a lot more often. This gives him the image of being lazy and useless.

Than Ragnar?  Because last time I was his vassal, I was left holding the bag in every goddamn war while there was a feast within days of the marshal starting a new campaign.  This may have been the reason I held about half of the faction's foreign conquests.

Ludial said:
The problem with the Swadians under Harlaus is that they know how to fight on horseback and how to party, but don't have even the dimmest idea about warfare. Khergits marshalled by Tonju noyan simply pick the Swadian kingdom apart bit by bit. Vaegirs annihilate them. Rhodoks simply grind out the sieges with them, so even field victories don't save the Swads. Nords do a similar thing (in my games Suno and Praven usually end up as Nord property pretty soon, same for Dhirim and Uxkhal for the Khergits).

All in all, their kingdom is always in trouble because they're arrogant. They attack others too often because of 'lost territory' (oh, really now? :roll:), they get attacked by others who want to 'curb their power' too often and they keep fighting (and losing) on several fronts because their king is a twit who thinks that the continent belongs to him. Other kingdoms are usually smart enough to fight only one opponent at any time. Swadians are not.

Sharing a border with everyone who isn't a Sarranid at game's start really doesn't help the "not at war with half the map" part of this.

Riddle said:
Remedius said:
me and a couple of battered lords just needed to beat off the Khergits

How's the 'please them to death' strategy working out? :razz:

I knew the moment I posted that someone was going to crack wise on my choice of words - thanks for getting that necessary postage done and pointing out that I need to be more careful with my choice of words - LOL

To those who have never had Harlaus support them in battle - I am surprised! Ithink it may be a relation thing - I eventually got very good relation with Harlaus and he virtually always responded to campaign summons although you always have to be patient as his huge army lumbers along behind. I even developed at tactic of letting the King fight the main field battle while I circle around hitting any other enemy lords - when they are finished I go to help the King - that way there are no stragglers to get away and raid.

i Adore Harlaus,

Being with the swadians, and staying his friend, you will get a bigger chance of getting the castles u take, getting a wife, Getting soldiers, getting quests lol.

He is quite the drunkard but hes the jolly fella. :grin:
Swadians are in overal good overall-ranked soldiers. having a good relation with your king improves your Faction relationship. this instantly gives a bonus to recruiting soldiers and an morale bonus i guess. xD

Btw, who calls him Harlot ?? xd

^ Probably my opinion as well.

Whenever I think Harlaus, I think the blue king in this video. Read: A liege worth fighting for, - Authority for being a drunkard notwithstanding.

Bobsama said:
2011032700004.jpg

2011032700005m.jpg

Ah but your party had nothing to eat! 'least Harlaus feeds people.

And Harlaus did grin, and people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths, and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats, and large...

Oh, Lord, bless this thy ham grenade that with it thou mayest blow thy enemies to tiny nibbly tid-bits, in thy mercy.

Not only is a feast lover, but a greedy man. My experience with Harlaus was a bit weird:

Swadian Soldier: My king, khergits attack our lands with a extremely big army!
Harlaus: Fine, lets do a feast to prepare "a plan"!
Swadian Soldier: My king, the player character alone managed to defend our lands against the big khergit horde!
Harlaus: Fine, lets do a feast in his honour!
Swadian Soldier: My king, against all odds, the player character alone managed to capture Halmar!
Harlaus: NOW IS MY CITY!! THROW THE PLAYER CHARACTER AGAINST MORE ENERMIES!!!

Ended with rebellion.

Real men need no city to thresh Khergits! It is them against our dirt-cheap-yet-badass-anyway Swadchesmarines!

On topic though, most kings would sort of award a city to himself. So will the player character when he becomes king.

I wanted to play as a Swadian vassal, but we'd get hammered so quickly it got old. I ended up turning the campaign difficulty to the middle setting and lo and behold...Swadia is dominating the map suddenly, having more than recovered any lost turf. There is no middle ground it seems. Just as there is no such thing as a single front war for Harlaus.
Even given his constant parties, my game has seen a grip of the original lords for the faction defect, and ones we've picked up never last long before moving to greener pastures. But you gotta love the lunacy of throwing a party, and declaring war on three nations before the first keg of ale is empty.
I've considered selling him out, or just moving to another faction to liven my game up.....it's sort of stalled now that we have so much territory- no one comes together to take anything new. No one comes to help defend an area.
I don't know if the named NPC's have their own stats, but Swadian lords can't seem to see very far. Poor 'spotting' skill I guess. But they break off a chase much too easily when outnumbering an enemy. They don't take your force into account when you 'accompany' them, and they run from a larger force, even though counting yours, you easily outnumber the enemy.
Lack of aggression it comes down to. Swadia starts a lot of wars but really doesn't take much advantage of it (even on med. campaign difficulty, they are sloooow to move on easy targets)
Lastly- only the king and the marshal ever field decent armies. We'll have 8 lords together following the marshal, and most have 20-40 men (this is day 300 or so.....kings have over 200) where I have a single village and single castle to my name and bring an enormous force by comparison. So we get chased off of virtually every siege now, and certainly never break sieges we come upon.

Should I bail, go fight for someone else?

Strange... in my current game (day ~400), what does happen is that Swadia rarely ever have a war any more. Harlaus spends most of his time throwing parties, and whenever a war begins it'd barely last a month when peace is reached. On the other hand, Nords and Khergits dominate the map, while Vaegir is almost dead.

Swadia's one of them party countries.
Not good for anything but hitting up one of the king's feasts, and waking up next to what look suspiciously like Rolf in a dress.

Yeah, Swadia is the country of parties and ugly wymyn.

You want some hot girls? Go up to Nord or Vaegir land. Some of dem Northern women are eyecandies... within the limit of the game engine. Any more than that and you'd do better to look up some eroge than Mount and Blade  :twisted:

With Swadians it's either total fail or knightswarm. There really isn't middle ground. And Harlaus is a piece of crap. A fat, perfumed, sleazy, misoginistic, drunk and totally-incompetent-as-a-king piece of crap. The only Swadian lord that's maybe worth something is Count Haringoth and he's of Rhodok origins >.>

So yeah, given the incompetence of the Swadian nobility as a whole, it's much better for the nation to be taken over by the player. Then it might actually see prosperity, expansion and a stable economy plus consistent military successes.

im finding this thread hillarious  :mrgreen:

the parties are about the most lifeless thing ever, you see a 2d matchstick man with a crown, and a couple of boring women standing at the other end of the room, and thats their parties?

the first time i played warband and it said they were feasting, i thought itd be some kinda nightclub with djs etc, but instead its a dingy little dark castle in silence, thats their feast / parties?

no thanks, back to caldaria for me

ps itll be sad when mount and blade with fire takes over, because the maps are eastern europe, and move on from caldaria, so we will never know what happened to ragnar, or harlus  :sad:

Back
Top Bottom