(Relatively) Full loot... and how to balance it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Balor

Recruit
Well, in RL, there would be no such problem - 90% that plate armor, for instance, made for someone else will simply not fit you.
However, I think that all armor and weapons you get as 'spoils of war' should be chipped, battered and bent... and make this prefixes affect it's stats and costs more drastically. And getting non-battered armor and non-chipped weapons would be as rare are getting them at all.
Therefore, you can have full loot and still have balanced situation.
I guess that is worth implementing.
Oh, and I guess 'Full loot' means 'relatively' full.
Some items can be ruined beyond repair when you take them in combat - usually it's armor, shields and sometimes weapons (since they block with them... and I simply canot emagine how can you block a maul with a spear w/o gettign that spear snapped in half... or a two-handed swort too, for that matter).
Btw, maul weighting 10 kgs is laughable. With this weight and length it wil be IMPOSSIBLE to swing for anyone with STR less then 30 :smile:. 3 kgs is feasible...

i think that if you get robbed after loosing a fight if you attack the same group again later you should be abele to get back you items.

Memento Mori said:
I lost my horse on my first fight.... :cry:

I lost my warhorse just after I bought it, and before I could even use it.

I was left with nothing and started again.

the Loot could be damaged from the battle, so it wouldn't that profitable.

and part could be beyond any repair (like shields)

same small itens could be lost (like daggers and small swords).

buti think all the undamaged horses should be in the battle loot, and so does the big weapons and plates (damaged).

and there should be flags. so you could take to your Lord as a prof of battle, or maybe even you could take the enemy leader's head for you Lord.

I'm a big fan of WYSIWYG looting, and I don't think it would cause any problems.

We just need to make sure that every thing you get comes from somewhere, and every thing you loose goes somewhere.

In the current system, when your troops upgrade they get really prime equipment that materialize out of thin air.
On the other hand, most battle loot dissapears into the dev/null (they say your troops get a share, but that has no effect on anything - really just an excuse).
Not to say about horses that are spawned randomly for your troops before every battle.

It's gonna be ok if:
- you got access to all the battle loot.
- you got to equip all your troops yourself (or they can take equipment if you leave some behind)
- party members don't get things for free
- dead horses stay dead
- wages you pay are sane.

If you can take all the loot, or is the correct internet grammar lewt or l00t, I don't know... God I am old. Anyway, you get all the L-word stuff and it's all dinged up from battle so you can't use much of it... maybe what is shown is the only usable stuff from battle? I mean if you spent the battle "cutting your enemies in twain" and "removing their entrails before their very eyes" and whatnot, I don't think most of the armor/weaponry etc would be any good. Also, when the horses that survived looked at the carnage, I think they'd be right to run off!

All that aside, let's say everything on the battlefield is represented and you can WYSIWYG (whatever that means). How are you going to carry it all anyway? You only have so many inventory slots and I'm not a fan of having 600 slots to carry stuff.

Manitas said:
I'm a big fan of WYSIWYG looting, and I don't think it would cause any problems.

We just need to make sure that every thing you get comes from somewhere, and every thing you loose goes somewhere.

In the current system, when your troops upgrade they get really prime equipment that materialize out of thin air.
On the other hand, most battle loot dissapears into the dev/null (they say your troops get a share, but that has no effect on anything - really just an excuse).

Not to say about horses that are spawned randomly for your troops before every battle.

It's gonna be ok if:
- you got access to all the battle loot.
- you got to equip all your troops yourself (or they can take equipment if you leave some behind)
- party members don't get things for free
- dead horses stay dead
- wages you pay are sane.
Hear hear.

jrawlings said:
All that aside, let's say everything on the battlefield is represented and you can WYSIWYG (whatever that means). How are you going to carry it all anyway? You only have so many inventory slots and I'm not a fan of having 600 slots to carry stuff.
The trick is to only take the valuable equipment and leave the worthless behind. In reality you wouldn't necessarily strip every single unwashed bandit of every last item of clothing as no merchant would ever buy that, but you should still have the option to do so.

Kelpo said:
[The trick is to only take the valuable equipment and leave the worthless behind. In reality you wouldn't necessarily strip every single unwashed bandit of every last item of clothing as no merchant would ever buy that, but you should still have the option to do so.

So I guess you can think of the current system as an auto-filter that does all that for you?

jrawlings said:
So I guess you can think of the current system as an auto-filter that does all that for you?
Of course you can, the real question is: what for?

If you really think that this unconfigurable thing which chooses for you a bag of flour out of pile consisting of armors and weapons deserves the big name 'auto-filter'.

Its really frustating after Killing 23 black knights not to get a single set of decent armor or some war horses...

And i dont think that all the armor/weapons should be worn somehow... With my archer i take my time to aim at their heads... why should i get a broken armor?

And about sharing the loot with the troops...yeah okay.... but im tired of facing sea raiders and bandits alone... not a good excuse.

Horses should stay dead! As the living ones should be lootable!

the looting should definetly be changed!

GabrielXCosta said:
Its really frustating after Killing 23 black knights not to get a single set of decent armor or some war horses...

And i dont think that all the armor/weapons should be worn somehow... With my archer i take my time to aim at their heads... why should i get a broken armor?
Mainly because you would get too rich too quickly otherwise. Of course it would be incredible if the game could keep track of locations that have been hit, but that might be undoable.

GabrielXCosta said:
Horses should stay dead! As the living ones should be lootable!
Now that's a good idea. If your horse would actually die every time it's cut down, it would balance the exessive amounts of loot a bit. A good surgeon might still be able to save the horsie, but still.

I would also prefer seeing everything lootable. I always hate it when something that I see enemy using doesnot appear on them after I kill them. It could be crap but it shouldnot be crap unless it was crap before the battle or made such in the battle.

Every armor and weapon should have a hit point (hp) rating which will decrease when it is hit. Don't make every piece of loot loose hp randomly after battle but in the battle. Then good archers would have nice sets of armors and horses without helmets.

If you are worrying about getting too rich too quicky, then make battles with armored opponents harder or decrease the value of low hp stuff. Maybe good armor should lower the damage even more than it does now. Even crude armors could be melted to materials so those will also have some value. The local blacksmith could buy those at the same price as iron (weight taken into consideration).

Back
Top Bottom