Author Topic: [Developer Diary 1] 2.0 Sneak Peak: Rhodok Troop Tree  (Read 6520 times)

Daergarz

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
  • MP nick: Daergar
  • WF&S
Re: [Developer Diary 1] 2.0 Sneak Peak: Rhodok Troop Tree
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 12:45:04 AM »
Ehm, well, even if the "real" lance never broke (which it, you know, did); if the lancer hit their target and actually pierced a human body... are you telling me that they magically yanked it out and retrieved it while moving lots of mphs on the horsie?

Physics sort of dictates that they had to let go of the lance unless they wanted to stop while the horse and saddle kept moving (with a lot of unpleasant consequences to follow).

To be honest, once you hit (code it to be lost after one-two kills or something) with a couched lance, it should be spent, period. If you stab with it, or a lighter lance/spear, it would obviously not break often or at all.

Waldzios

• "Policzym ich, jak ich pobijem"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 12:57:31 AM »
He is right about the tournament lances, they were meant to break on impact, but actual "lances" that were used for real combat were no toys that broke, unless maybe you were to hit a really solid shield at a bad angle, and even then just think of the force behind a several hundred pound animal running at lets say 30MPH could easy pierce a shield.

Hehe, lets assume the lance not splintered.
It will no doubt  pierce a shield and even the one that hold it, but what then,
even if the hands of lancer arent broken :)  (Newton's third law of motion) and he isnt pole vaulting :) , how he is going get the lance from impaled body, will he ride forward with the body on lance (some kind of bloody shish kebab) or he find time to stop horse and try get lance back. 
Then even if nothing of this happen, what to hell the lance after the initial charge can be used to, its to long and heavy, only way is to drop it and use secondary weapon.

To be honest, once you hit (code it to be lost after one-two kills or something) with a couched lance, it should be spent, period. If you stab with it, or a lighter lance/spear, it would obviously not break often or at all.

Exactly :)

The Profileth

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 03:05:58 AM »
Yes they would probably get stuck in the people and yes they did break, but that was NOT my point my point was that if you are trying to use a lance against unarmored peasants and lets say they are running away from you, then when you stab them in the back the lance should not break, that was my main issue, because most calvary used swords or other weapons to fight on horseback after the first initial charge because as you said lances were not meant for long term fighting specially with the amount of weight they must of had.
(also you mentioned neutons 3rd law, but that would only break his hand if he was hitting a brick wall, if he is hitting a moveable object such as a person then the 2nd law is the most fitting )
Newton's Second Law of Motion:
The relationship between an object's mass m, its acceleration a, and the applied force F is F = ma. Acceleration and force are vectors (as indicated by their symbols being displayed in slant bold font); in this law the direction of the force vector is the same as the direction of the acceleration vector.

Waldzios

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 09:20:31 AM »
if you are trying to use a lance against unarmored peasants and lets say they are running away from you,
Unarmored peasant running 30mph, scary little one :), IMHO the knight lance was to expensive to use it against some running peasants

then when you stab them in the back the lance should not break
No one talking about stabbing in back, yes lance should not break after some stabbing or something like this, but we talking about charge with couched lance.
You probably not talking about knight lance, your theories are  true for later (18th-20th century light lance), or some ancient over-head trusting lances,
but with the knight lance you weren't able to do much fencing (stabbing and other tricks), you keep it couched under you arm and ride straight to enemy positions in full gallop.

(also you mentioned neutons 3rd law, but that would only break his hand if he was hitting a brick wall, if he is hitting a moveable object such as a person then the 2nd law is the most fitting )
Dont understand, you suggesting that physics laws of motion  apply only to walls :D , not to moving objects?

Magnum

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
  • WB
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 11:42:07 AM »
Couched lances should "break" after one use, because I don't believe that they would break since they were a knights weapon and were well made to break so easily, but it would get stuck after you impaled someone, but the spears shouldn't break. So if you really want to you could have a lance and spear combo, I ofcourse am alright with the awlpike which is my first and primary weapon.
Long live the motherland

[IMG]http://img122.imageshack.

Waldzios

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2011, 01:38:40 PM »
Couched lances should "break" after one use, because I don't believe that they would break since they were a knights weapon and were well made to break so easily, but it would get stuck after you impaled someone, but the spears shouldn't break. So if you really want to you could have a lance and spear combo, I ofcourse am alright with the awlpike which is my first and primary weapon.
Knight lances broke because they were made this way intentionally, not because of poor quality.
Pole vaulting poles are manufactured with sizes from 3.05m (10 feet) to  5.30 m (17 feet 4.5 inches), it match length from demi-lance to hussar-lance, poles don't break and jump record is over 6m high . There is no horseback pole vaulting yet :mrgreen:, so it's hard to tell how high knight could jump.
It IMHO should close the  topic :P.
About spear and lance combo, there is no need for it, "breakable" lances (if added) will broke only after successful couch attack, until broken they still can be used as thrusting weapon without limitation.

Magnum

• Sergeant at Arms
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
  • WB
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2011, 06:31:12 PM »
It it wouldn't be necessary but for those that used couched lance 1st then they'll require a weapon so it was just a suggestion for those complaining since the spear wont bbreak, which angers me in 1257 ad the my spear con tinues to break after I hit a couple of hits.
Long live the motherland

[IMG]http://img122.imageshack.