Best medieval castles & fortifications

Users who are viewing this thread

800px-Kasteel_Radboud.JPG

Castle Radboud; built by the evil evil Hollanders to oppress the noble West-Frisians in 1288 but still a pretty building. :þ

AWdeV said:
What are those 4 towers for? Chimneys? Bell-towers? They look much too small to stand in.
Aesthetics, and probably chimneys. It's way too thin for a Bell.

Sayd, the current Kasbah al Oudayas is an Almohad construction (built on the earlier Almoravid one).

Another view of Radboud:
15%20Kasteel%20Radboud%20Medemblik%20.JPG
Towers are nice.

,,Column of Katskhi",located in Chiatura,Imereti region (Georgia).First church was built in V century,second-in VI.Nowadays,restoration is being began,lead by monk Maxime,so it's possible for simple tourists to climb there easily.

Winterz said:
What a ****hole  :razz:

Obviously it wasn't like this 1500 years ago..

Please,It's an orthodox church,so be polite with this case  :neutral: Of course,modern building wasn't built 16 centuries ago,I mentioned that ,,first" and ,,second" buildings on this column,not ,,modern(about second half of 18th century)" church,which is there now  :razz:

Winterz said:
I was talking about the rock. It most certainly suffered erosion since then.

Oop,sorry then  :wink: yeah,erosion causes it too much damage,but still stands,like an ancient titan  :smile:

Hello. I found this forum (thread) when I was searching for information about my hobby - medieval history and especially castles and middle age fortification. I would like to share with you some of the greatest (and my favourites) castles from Czech Republic. They are so different from west Europe and middle east castles so it is very interresting to compare differences.

There is the Karlštejn castle. Probably the most known Czech castle. It was found by Holly Roman emperor and Czech king Charles IV. in 1348 to prove his power to all and to protecting the royal treasure - crown jewels. The king's treasure was guarded here over two hundreds years. The castle wasn't never conquer, although, the Hussite forces in 15th century were heavily trying to do so and get castle and jewels to themselves. There is precious chapel in the big tower - decorated by gold and gems and saint icons - where  king's crown was kept. It is the one of the most famous castles in Czech republic. I hope you enjoy my photos and some idealistic reconstructions of Karlštejn by Beatris publishing house.

My photos:

24360220_1_m96ztz.jpg

24360219_1_3uwtjl75t.jpg

24360672_1_a9cd5dtjqb.jpg

Air photo:

33175.jpg

Historical reconstructions  (through time) :

15-Karlstejn-1370-hr.jpg

22-Karlstejn-1610-hr.jpg

16-Karlstejn-1750-hr.jpg

Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl%C5%A1tejn_Castle