Wife won't keep Helmet Equipped

Users who are viewing this thread

Fleebusia

Recruit
Tried giving my wife a helmet and some arrows as she is part of my army, but after a little while the helmet and arrows disappear. Strange that the party window UI shows her wearing the helm, but it's not in her inventory, nor is she granted any protection from it. Helm was a Weimer Drach if that matters.

Pretty sick feature. But what's the point if you can't give her proper armour or items. She's a walking head-shot waiting to happen.

The armor removal might have to do with npc-town appearance. It should not be much an issue as they actually keep the items in their inventory and will re-equip them in battle. I've seen this several/all the times, but not 100% certain, so I still always opt giving her clothings&helmets that she will keep on all the time. >.>

Just click on her equipment screen, then back out. Her appearance should refresh to how she intends to do battle.

Weapons have to do with compatibility. Unlike armor, weapons will not be auto-equipped in battle if her weapons given are not shown/compatible(not too sure, either this or it randomly picks).. Same thing with all items, she keeps them in her inventory. Just clear/cycle her equipments to retrieve them. Main weapons are straightforward if they will use them or not, but ammo are confusing, as they might just use one set of quivers/bolts instead of multiple.

Last edited:
The armor removal might have to do with npc-town appearance. It should not be much an issue as they actually keep the items in their inventory and will re-equip them in battle. I've seen this several/all the times, but not 100% certain, so I still always opt giving her clothings&helmets that she will keep on all the time. >.>

Just click on her equipment screen, then back out. Her appearance should refresh to how she intends to do battle.

Weapons have to do with compatibility. Unlike armor, weapons will not be auto-equipped in battle if her weapons given are not shown/compatible(not too sure, either this or it randomly picks).. Same thing with all items, she keeps them in her inventory. Just clear/cycle her equipments to retrieve them. Main weapons are straightforward if they will use them or not, but ammo are confusing, as they might just use one set of quivers/bolts instead of multiple.

Yeah, I had a hunch it had something to do with their script for Town appearances. I did refresh her inventory screen many times, but both helmet and arrows were gone. What's funny is that even if you put another replacement helmet on her, the party window shows her with the old helmet.

I'm going to try head-shotting her with a low tier bow and compare those values with another companion with the same helm and ironflesh skill, to see if she does in fact have it equipped.

Kind of sucks that once you put an item on her, it's essentially lost to the void. Though she does seem to retain her main weapon, shield, body armor and boots. Hopefully those don't vanish also.

Appreciate the input.

Well after some tests, I think you are correct in saying they do re-equip missing items for battle scenes.

During camp, I was head-shotting companions with comparable Ironflesh skill with no helmet for 87 odd damage, but only 20-26 damage on my wife. I think that's a fair indication that she is in fact wearing the Weimer Drach, at least in that instance. Let's hope that logic applies to all battle scenes and not just camp lol.

Though all this makes me wonder how do we actually change her equipment once given the initial item? Giving her subsequent/replacement items don't seem to register. I wish I would have known that earlier. Would have stuck a Lordly variant on her instead.

To get items back, you have to clear her inventory. She will always equip the strongest stuffs first. Keep removing her gears and she will equip the next headpiece she has, then remove that piece again.

To get items back, you have to clear her inventory. She will always equip the strongest stuffs first. Keep removing her gears and she will equip the next headpiece she has, then remove that piece again.

That's the thing though, she never has any item equipped in her helmet slot. It has remained vacant a month since giving her the Weimer Drach. Same for the quiver of arrows. I can't retrieve or replace them as they aren't showing in her inventory.

I did refresh her inventory screen many times, but both helmet and arrows were gone. What's funny is that even if you put another replacement helmet on her, the party window shows her with the old helmet.
Whoops. Sorry, you really did mentioned it prior. Might be a bug. I haven't tried the newest version yet.

Normally, arrows will only show up if she equips a bow, but helmets shouldn't have any interference.

Edit: just to clarify for anyone asking, npc inventory is invisible. The only way to interact with their inventory is for the npc to put the items on their equipment screen.

Last edited:
Hmm. I never thought of that. It's a shame that we can't access her inventory.

Hopefully what you said about item quality prioritization is correct and she will choose to replace the Weimer Drach with a Lordly variation. First I need to find such a helmet.

Appreciate the help.

Back
Top Bottom