What is best version of Brytenwalda?

Users who are viewing this thread

there is no "Best". You will need to look at patch notes for the submods and decide if you want to play them, or the original.

you can find download links on the sticky threads for each.

BW 1.41 (original version, years old), Repolished (mostly graphic improvements), Reworked (different gameplay/balance, only version still live with updates)

An important difference:
Repolished has no gameplay improvements above v1.41. It does look nicer and troops and items are slightly different.
It is included in BW Reworked.
There are  many reasons to use Reworked, but the main reason:
Accelerated gameplay.
It is built to move your character to king-status within 9-12 months year of in-game time (or about 2 weeks of non-stop play).
Brytenwalda  1.41 usually takes twice that time. If you have time and want a real experience extended poverty and multiple setbacks, then try traditional BW.

Why are so many on playing Repolished?
It got up on Steam before the Warband Steam Uploader broke. I can't find a way to push Reworked to steam.

I preferl Brytenwalda Repolished: it's the best Rpg experience I had until now: no other mod has put me "in the era" like classic BW: actually I'm following the life and deeds of Ambrosius MacLea, a Roman/British man that ha started in Canware making hard works for the villages, and now, after months spent under service into Pengwern armies, is a free war leader that explore Britannia with a little warband and the company of a loyal follower, Ultan of Goutodyn.

Really I'm in love with BWRep, and I like spend days, months and years doing things, serve in kingdom armies, better my abilities, gain money, hunting deers, boars and other animals....I haven't any desire to be a king, prefering be a noble under a kingdom of my own choice, and see if there are a chance to conquer all Britannia and Hibernia.

The only mistake at my eyes is that levels are too much easy to gain, I preferred have the double of XP for each level and climb more slower for spend more days and months into Britannia battling and having more experiences.

@GDWitt: I haven't taken BWRep from Steam, because I not use Steam: I hate this system because they caued me problems a lot, for their own fault I have dumped in the trashcan 2 games that I'm not more able to play and that I have payed dearly. Umphf.

Hello,
Just wondering: why would you use Brytenwalda Repolished?
Brytenwalda Reworked incorporates the vast majority of Repolished's fixes and rebalances many Brytenwalda items, as well as fixing and updating some unique quests. Reworked effectively obsoletes Repolished. One thing you might not like is the increased speed of the gameplay, but you can adjust experience gain for each M&B module in the module.ini file located within each module's folder, which contains a section on experience gain. You can adjust experience gain for the player, companions and basic troops seperately. 1 is default M&B experience gain, but you can lower it using decimals, e.g replacing 1 with 0.5 would half experience gain.

On the other hand, if you want a really long game, use the original Brytenwalda, which was extremely punishing, with monstrous troop wages and elite troops being very rare for the player (but not AIs). It will take many in-game years to become a king and have any hope of success.

Repolished is easier than the original Brytenwalda, and Reworked easier again. However the changes that the other modules make will not be save-game compatible. You can read up on both in the threads pinned on the forum.

Also Steam sucks for mods and hides them in a different folder for Mount and Blade rather than the module folder, if it downloads them at all.. (looking at you Civ 5).

If you really like Brytenwalda, you can also try Viking Conquest, an official DLC from Brytenwalda's original developers that follows similar themes.
Best of luck in your conquests. :smile:

Greetings, 14cMurphy1, and ty for your nice reply.

I have started years ago with the original Brytenwalda, and later I have found that the Repolished version is real better in many ways than the original, and I have chosen this version.

About Reworked, I have read about a lot, and I have seen that people seem unsatisfied due numerous bugs and problems, then, I have discarded this version, preferring my older but nicer Repolished.

About Viking Conquest I don't know what say: seem some people call this mod a failure, others seem very satisfied, and I have decided to leave alone this mod, for now: my own Modules folder has only very few titles like Repolished, Hispania 1200, 1257 AD and Sands of Faith. You see that usually I take only the best mods-call me picky but I prefer have few mods that anger for problems later or discard.

About Steam, let I tell whats happened: I had in a Steam account 2 games, Empire Total War and ES SKyrim. You know that these titles need Steam and code: well, after a period without computer, Steam has stopped the account, I tried to come back but was a terrible problem, they wanted a million of proofs that I was the original account owner, I said all, including all 2 game codes- and you know that a game code is personal, impossible to have if one isn't the game owner-NOTHING.

In total despair i leaved Steam promising to myself that I never wanted another account with them-idiots with trash into their heads! and from these days I have a great hate against Steam, because for their stupidity I weas costrained to dump 2 great games like Empire TW and Skyrim, that I have payed a good sum of money. to the local store

Ambrois LeGaillard said:
About Viking Conquest I don't know what say: seem some people call this mod a failure, others seem very satisfied

VC is not Brytenwalda. They share similarities, but don't expect the same game. VC has a storyline, several new features and its a much better game on performance and gameplay.

The issues people had were around the game release (bugs, performance, balance, etc). That was back in December 2014 and the Q1 2015 (when the game was getting patches).

Those were resolved almost 2 years ago, and middle last year the game had a free expansion (Reforged Edition).

So it seems your information is a bit outdated  :mrgreen: . Of course the DLC is paid, so decide for yourself if you want to buy it, wait for Steam sale (like this week) or not buy it.

@Kalarhan: Uhm. Probably you are right. I will try this Reforged edition, then, hoping to do a good deal.

A...storyline? Mh, not interested. I like the usual free game, I want be myself into Middle Age, and have my own story and legend, not a "Mr. SomeOther".

There's any chance to buy directly from another source than Steam?
For example, Talesworlds? I prefer pay the price for the key from here.

Ambrois LeGaillard said:
There's any chance to buy directly from another source than Steam?

https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/VikingConquest

click the BUY button

Ambrois LeGaillard said:
A...storyline? Mh, not interested.

play whatever mode you want to. Storyline is a nice RPG + tutorial for new players. Sandbox has the usual level 1 start, as well the option to start as a lord (vassal) or a king of any faction.

Also check the mods/tweaks on ways to customize the game.

Back
Top Bottom