Still No Line Battle Script?

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey guys, I've been thinking, as I was mercilessly shooting down an endless crowd of disorganized Frenchmen, why has no one STILL not developed the script to make AI fight in line formations, even firing in unison? The Mount&Blade series has amassed such a massive modding community, a vast amount of which love all these Gunpowder era mods that are being churned out, yet there is still no script to fight proper line battles?

Why?

In the old napoleonic mods for the original Mount&Blade they managed to make cavalry attack and withdraw in formations, but the real essence of these wars still hasn't arrived.

Or I've just ranted and missed it. But I'm putting it on the table anyway.

This question has been asked before and answered many times.

The reason is very simple. We strive for historical accuracy here. Although the French and Indian conflict in North America was a part of the Seven Years War being fought concurrantly in Europe it was a very different conflict from the one in Europe.

In Europe you had much more development than in North America at this time. There were roads and bridges armies could use. Developed centers such as towns and cities were more common where re-supply could be had. Armies met on the plains of Europe and formed up into the conventional formations of the time. Cavalry could probe ahead of advancing armies or race to outflank an opponent on the battlefield.

You do not have this possibility in 1755 in North America. Most of the savage action between French and British forces took place in dense wilderness where it was very difficult to use cavalry effectively hence neither the British nor the French deployed a cavalry regiment to North America during the French and Indian War. Armies moved through dense wilderness at slow speeds and artillery were an impediment. Add to this the large numbers of colonial troops made up with hastily trained townsmen from the more developed coasts or more often rugged frontier fighters and Indians who were not going to play nice and form up for you to fight them in neat organized rows and lines. You fought as infantryman, often in deep woods, miles from settled areas with an enemy you may or may not see in front of you. If you came in close contact it was melee: sword, pistol, knife, tomahawk, bayonet. Ambushes were common.

That's why we have not paid much attention to the notion of adding formations to 1755. The most famous battle to use themon the plains of abraham is not enough of an excuse for us when the rest of the conflict saw alsmost no pitched battles of the European type.

In 1776 we will include formations as that war was fought along a more settled area of the US eastern seaboard where standard battles could be fought.

Heheheh !
it is true! So many ppl asked this question so many times, already.
But can I say one word "Lord Auldman"?
It is always a pleasure to read the excellent explaination that you give to them....and actually it seems it gets better and better every time!! :shock:
Thank you, Sir!
Gabby :wink:
I am not joking, how long did it take you?

GABRILDURO said:
Heheheh !
it is true! So many ppl asked this question so many times, already.
But can I say one word "Lord Auldman"?
It is always a pleasure to read the excellent explaination that you give to them....and actually it seems it gets better and better every time!! :shock:
Thank you, Sir!
Gabby :wink:
I am not joking, how long did it take you?

It took a few minutes at lunch he he! Let's put it in F.A.Q and then we'll just ignore all future threads on the topic  :razz:

Honestly if you just order your men to hold position they make a line I don't see whats so difficult. If you want a thinner line order the men to spread out, want a 2-3 person thick line? order your men to stand closer together its not that difficult. Also I've seen the ai make lines(hold position) whenever you have a superior force and they are on the defensive.

I've seen the AI line up when on the offensive when  I only had about a 3 man army. I have also seen them march together in a very organized formation on several occasions. They would stop infront of the opposing line, exchange fire and then charge them. I know I have witnessed this on several occassions in the mod and also I believe I've seen the armies in Native warband do this as well, except less often. Though they do line up the AI does charge more often than others from what I've witnessed.

Ooh, well I think Macmillan meant "always and very" organized line formations.
I hope he noticed that you can even assign different groups to your men in order to put them in different places (group 1 in front, order them to spread out, 2 in back. slightly on one side. Then hold position and HOLD ground, so they all stay exactly there!!)
I have no time to make videos of fighting, but PLEASE somebody expert make one.....I know so many ppl do not use ALL M&B resources, still.
Also coming down from ships is possible, just needs more orders. Or if desperate, Illapa :mrgreen: order them to stand on the boat in the right position, run to the enemy and make them CHASE ya in the direction of the ship....hehehe... if you got the right men and companions (Daniel boone overall) they will kill those "hillbillys" before they get to the boat.
I use also the cannon ramrod to fake I am bombarding from the ship the poor idiots....hahahahaha
so much fun, really.

Very nice answer Auldman, cheers. I look forward to seeing it in 1776.

Also guys I was talking about the AI using proper line formations, I'm well aware by now of how to order my own men in a line formation. The AI also do not use the right formation at all, they sometimes strafe and walk towards you in a very thin line, and they fire when ever they want, not sure how that is even effective as it is. Oh well.

Also yeah, good idea, add this one to the FAQ.

Back
Top Bottom