Mercenary recruitment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lamias

Sergeant at Arms
I love the lance recruitment system, but i would like to ask/suggest something.

In the beginning of the game if you don't start as a lord, you don't have a lot of money (almost no money at all). :razz: So when my entire fortune is 2000 denars i can't really hire mercenaries from taverns because they are at least 7-20 in the number, and they ask for 800 denars or more. So, ideally, i would want to hire only 3-4 of them but there isn't a way to tell them, so instead i have to hire all the party and pay the whole gold and then disband the ones i don't want, which is a bit frustrating.

Is there a possibility to choose to hire for example one of the mercenaries, or 5 etc? Should i post this in general suggestions?

Thanks!! :grin:

Edit: If anyone faces the same problem, any ideas are welcome. Thanks again!

I honestly just bought a mercenary lance in the starting city, it costs 1000 and you'll get far more men than if buying at tavern, and a variety of troops.

I agree with Krishar and if you serve as mercenary for a kingdom that is at war, mercenary troops are cheaper and your king will pay you based on your party size.

I see what you are talking about. But now that i am a mercenary, the marshal wants me to report with at least 9 soldiers, and i have 8. What i am saying is that there isn't a way to recruit only one or two men, i have to recruit either a lance (10-15 men from what i saw), or mercenaries from taverns (7 at least).

Isn't that like i am throwing money?  :???:

If you are a mercenary (no fiefs) you can't recruit lances. You should only be able to get mercenaries from tavern (from 7 to 15 more or less, depends on their type) or hire local mercenaries (usually about 30-40).

There's a way to recruit some of them but it's annoying and i don't think is what you want.
Let's say there are 10 mercenaries available for 1000 gold but you only want 5 of them. You can recruit them, disband 5, export your character, save and exit. Now edit your character to add 500 gold (you spent 1000 but only recruited half of them), reload your game, import character.
Quite long and annoying, but it's the only way i can think about.

Yes you are right, i meant local companies, not lances. I just realized they are different things.

I kinda like the way you are proposing. Maybe i will try it, it's for early game anyway. As i advance money will be less of an issue.

Thanks!

Why not recruit a company of 30 men and be done with it? If your a mercenary the faction you joined will pay for both:
1. Your troop upkeep
2. Give you money for being commander.
Tho they will not give you more then 3000gold coins. So having too many might not be good either. :smile:

Lamias said:
I see what you are talking about. But now that i am a mercenary, the marshal wants me to report with at least 9 soldiers, and i have 8. What i am saying is that there isn't a way to recruit only one or two men, i have to recruit either a lance (10-15 men from what i saw), or mercenaries from taverns (7 at least).

Isn't that like i am throwing money?  :???:

Well I see it more as a kind of troop inefficiency, you just have to spend them a tavern orgy or a monk's service (somehow scary that actually the harlot has the same effect as a monk's 'service'...  :shock:) from time to time and some food and they are completely happy men. You don't lose men to illness or dehydration, your troops won't desert which happened regularly and independent from morale, etc. And don't forget that with the lance recruitment you may always get 10 troops and have to disband the unwanted ones but you also get some high tier troops right from the start, without having to upgrade them and invest money into them in the first place.

oroboros said:
And don't forget that with the lance recruitment you may always get 10 troops and have to disband the unwanted ones but you also get some high tier troops right from the start, without having to upgrade them and invest money into them in the first place.

Yep didn't think of that either. Anyway overall i believe this system is way more exciting than native. And historically correct from what i gather. Well done for the idea!

DrTomas said:
Tho they will not give you more then 3000gold coins. So having too many might not be good either. :smile:

I did not understand that. You mean that when i reach a certain number of soldiers in my army, the faction won't pay for the rest i recruit?

He meant that the highest sum you can take from a king in which you are mercenary
does not exceed 3000 denaries.So if for example you have 50-60-70 mercenaries that
cost 3500 denaries you'll have to put the rest (500)  from your own pocket.

You must have something against us, the Mercenaries.

He used to fight mercenaries in south america :smile:

Yes, i meant it's the standard limit of the money they will give you. Of course if you have 7-8 soldiers, they won't give you 3000 denars.  :razz:

I think it's possible to recruit only one man if cheats are enabled.  Let's say you have 8 men and the marshal wants you to report with 9 and you can't afford to hire a party of 8 mercenaries.

1)  Go to a tavern

2)  Find a mercenary party.  Let's say there are 8 of them and they each want 1000 for signing up:  total hiring cost = $8,000

3)  Go to your inventory screen, hit (ctrl+x) 7 times to give yourself $7,000

4)  Hire the party

5)  Disband all but one man and you will have in effect paid $1,000 to hire a single man

Lamias said:
I see what you are talking about. But now that i am a mercenary, the marshal wants me to report with at least 9 soldiers, and i have 8.
Can offer the way without cheats. Get the fight with some bandits. Knockout few. Then ask some prisoners to join your groop. Report to marshal. Disband them.

Back
Top Bottom