M&B Mod Updater Suite (now Version 2.0!)

Users who are viewing this thread

domipoppe

Knight
Old Guard
M&B Mod Updater Suite
Current Version: 2.0

b79304abf1abbce81b224143ceda798a.png
0df34b3a1a5a43852debbd5d7e6b21c1.png

What is this?
The M&B Mod Updater Suite opens a new generation of modding and mod managment. Due to limitations of the Steam Workshop and equal stuff I decided to do this. This tool makes you undependent (if you are able to host the files on your own). The mod updater will make sure that the module of your player is always up-to-date and it will try to repair the mod if something is broken or missing. All of that was written in Visual Basic and the updater requires .NET Framework

How does it work?
You as a developer will upload the mod to a webspace/ftp. Not as .rar or .zip it will be uploaded uncompressed. Then after doing that, or basically after each update you did, you create a online file list which you upload aswell. The players have local file lists and request the online file list to check whetver there is an update or not. The files are listed and hashed into SHA 256-bit which makes them unique. This method makes sure, even with the smallest changes on the files it still will be downloaded. The best thing is that the updater only updates actually updated files. E.G if the player updates from 0.8 to 0.9 it will only update the changed files. Same for if the player would update from 0.4 to 1.5 it only updates and downloads the new/changed stuff. This means time saving and a fast and easy update solution.

OSP or sources?
Didn't really think about it, but I think no.

Do you offer web space for this?
Not really for free in generally but if your project is interesting enough I might sponsor it. Otherwhise you can just order web space at my web site. We have no file extension limited of Warband modding.

Current Features
- NEW: Mod Updater Suite (helps you to create and manage everything the most easiest way!)
- Mod updating
- Reparing broken/missing files function
- Fast downloading
- Bug-free
- Starting the game (player can set the Warband .exe on first press on Play)

Bugs/Suggestions
Feel free to leave your input here. Also if you find bugs please report them so I can fix them.

Credit/Usage
You can use this updater solution in any mods. Just make sure to not lock it behind some payment wall or commercial thingy. You have to credit me for usage like this: Using Mount & Blade Mod Updater by Illuminati/King Solutions (you don't need to ask for permission to use)

Why so late/Why now?
I just was bored and this idea came in my head, so I coded it. Also this updater is pretty powerful and can be used for Bannerlord etc. aswell. It is not limited to Warband only. I could also just set-it up as a game downloader for indie-games. (If interested or in need of that, contact me)

Tutorial Video

Pictures

0df34b3a1a5a43852debbd5d7e6b21c1.png

1ae70b31b9bc3de7f787c227a33d5339.png

294a01f4f4651d442414de69a8d5dd39.png

Download
Version 1.0: Google Drive
Version 2.0: Google Drive

Important before starting!: Set your FTP client (preferable FileZilla) settings like this: Settings -> File Types -> Upload method -> Binary​

Readme file is included, but watch the tutorial video please. Feel free to contact me if you can't get it running  :party:

... if you want donate: [email protected]

Nice! Can't we redirect the FTP to a third-party uploading space like Google Drive or something? It should work If I upload the mod uncompressed? Or, can I do that already?

Efe Karacar said:
Nice! Can't we redirect the FTP to a third-party uploading space like Google Drive or something? It should work If I upload the mod uncompressed? Or, can I do that already?

The updater basically has a server adress like "http://taleworlds.com/module/" and it scans all files there so it needs to be direct paths like "http://taleworlds.com/module/module.ini" and so on otherwhise it won't find them.

Google Drive etc. creates hashes for files which won't be /module.ini in browser, it would be like /38zu3iwawrj3io4rjwaerhjkjsere" or something.

But I will look into it, and several other third party hosters. Maybe I can integrate a Google Drive API or equal.

So at the current stage, the updater requires a static webspace/ftp.

There is several services offering free web space/hosting like:
http://www.square7.ch/?lang=en

where you get a lot of file storage for free. You would need to check if the file types like .brf .dds etc. are allowed to be uploaded.

Other than that, if your project is good and has a good amount of people supporting, I maybe can sponsor it for you, contact me for that.

Very usefull tool. Thanks for sharing.

Bdw.  If Player have version 0.01 and server have 0.02 . Player needs to download everything New or this tool looks for modifed files?

Offtop: There is a way to check for module version ? For example download version data  from db, If Player have other value, kick him?

Again awesome work!

PitchPL said:
Very usefull tool. Thanks for sharing.

Bdw.  If Player have version 0.01 and server have 0.02 . Player needs to download everything New or this tool looks for modifed files?

Offtop: There is a way to check for module version ? For example download version data  from db, If Player have other value, kick him?

Again awesome work!

It doesn't matter what version the player has. If server version is let's say 0.8 and the player just downloaded the updater the updater will download all files of 0.8. If the mod updates from 0.8 to 0.9 the player will download only the changed files to make update processing faster and save time.

Your other question, it is possible but it requires client- and serverside modding on the module system. E.G: When player connects, you have to get his local mod version and send it to a server.-side only script. Then check if server version is the same as the player ones, if not: kick him/ban him.

Great idea, I have one question: what kind of "online file list" does the service need? I presume you mean a list of all the files in the module? Does it need to be in a certain format?

HyperCharge said:
I was so ambitious about this but I couldn't manage to do it.  :grin: thanks for making this!

I will upload a video later today so people can easier understand it and finally manage to use it :smile:
The Readme will also be updated and a precise text tutorial will follow.

Maroon said:
Great idea, I have one question: what kind of "online file list" does the service need? I presume you mean a list of all the files in the module? Does it need to be in a certain format?

In the Updater there is a list creator included. While preparing the mod or updates of it you always run it and upload the onlinefilelist to the FTP. It is in a XML format.

Update to Version 2.0!

I added a program which completely manages/creates your updates.
All you have to do is create it at start and then just push updates with the tool on your server.
I also uploaded a tutorial video which will explain everything in more detail, so everyone can get it running.
Also there was a critical bug when the player did force an update but a file was broken, this was fixed.

Tutorial Video:

Download Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/12-ANnM_rAuC3NbSw7PrT0QeR8hVnN_A1/view?usp=sharing

would it be possible to make a version of this that pulls the mod from github or something simillar? that way you would have an easy and stable platform with no need to host all mods yourself
seems really cool btw

Ikaguia said:
would it be possible to make a version of this that pulls the mod from github or something simillar? that way you would have an easy and stable platform with no need to host all mods yourself
seems really cool btw

I will have to look at Github and how they do uploading etc.

Back
Top Bottom