Linux Download?

Users who are viewing this thread

I found a thread about compiling this in linux. It seems a lot of changes had to be made. I was never clear if the current version compiles straightforwardly in Linux now.

Is there a precompiled Linux download, or can you please sticky instructions for compiling if not?

I'm one of those Linux noobs who basically started using Linux because I did not game, and now I pick up the occasional game and... see me slowly being sucked into the vortex. But I just am not willing to switch back and forth between Windows and Linux.

I see that I could just run this under Wine, but I'd prefer not to have to deal with Wine. Here in the next week I am going to undertake to use Arch instead of Debian, and perhaps in the process I will become a better OS jockey in respect to this sort of thing, but right now I am still kind of lost.

You could use PlayOnLinux, it's designed to port games but the auto port option works quite well with small programs.
I run openbrf on my mac with the mac version, PlayOnMac, and only encountered issues with copy/pasting rigging.

ShaneRoach said:
I see that I could just run this under Wine, but I'd prefer not to have to deal with Wine.
You could compile it for Linux with a bit of work, but it would be very much easier just to use Wine: why do you not want to deal with it? If you know C++ and want to try update my tweaks from version 0.0.67 (when I last complied for Linux) to the latest version, I could post the patches. I personally just use Wine, since sometimes the source isn't released or the available version of vcglib doesn't match it.

Vornne said:
ShaneRoach said:
I see that I could just run this under Wine, but I'd prefer not to have to deal with Wine.
You could compile it for Linux with a bit of work, but it would be very much easier just to use Wine: why do you not want to deal with it? If you know C++ and want to try update my tweaks from version 0.0.67 (when I last complied for Linux) to the latest version, I could post the patches. I personally just use Wine, since sometimes the source isn't released or the available version of vcglib doesn't match it.

I also use OpenBRF under Wine in Archlinux, sometimes you have to be practical.
And hey, it even works with shaders and everything. It's pretty decent for a mod tool.

Do you think it is worth it with all the dependency hell and Window-isms?
Think about how bloaty and long-winded is to work with Qt under *nix.

Vornne said:
ShaneRoach said:
.... why do you not want to deal with it?

I've never had any luck using it, and never found the forums very helpful.

It just seemed to me at the time it was always going to be hopelessly behind and I had no idea it might work any better with small programs unrelated to released games or other newly released software. If it works more or less out of the box with this that will be a whole different story.

Yeah: Wine actually works pretty well for most smaller stuff these days, and for some more complicated games (I have always used it to play M&B and Warband). You might want to make a wrapper script or .desktop file to make starting OpenBrf easier (since I don't think it installs one, from memory), but once started it pretty much runs perfectly.

I'm not an active M&B modder, and don't intend to maintain this distribution, but I was able to build OpenBRF on Linux, and it mostly works (minor widget layout issues).  I don't know if this will be sufficient for a real mod developer, but it met my needs to simply view the assets.  My changes to the source code can be found on GitHub, user cfcohen, repo openbrf.  e.g. ...:github.com/cfcohen/openbrf (since I'm too new to be allowed to post links).  Hopefully this code will be of use to others.

cfcohen said:
I'm not an active M&B modder, and don't intend to maintain this distribution, but I was able to build OpenBRF on Linux, and it mostly works (minor widget layout issues).  I don't know if this will be sufficient for a real mod developer, but it met my needs to simply view the assets.  My changes to the source code can be found on GitHub, user cfcohen, repo openbrf.  e.g. ...:github.com/cfcohen/openbrf (since I'm too new to be allowed to post links).  Hopefully this code will be of use to others.

Many thanks, I have made an Arch Linux AUR package with your native port, with icon, shortcut and mime type included:

Code:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/openbrf/

ydREz2q.png

b46sNRY.png

(If you are using this Linux distro with an AUR helper like
Code:
packer
, or
Code:
yaourt
then installing it should be as easy as typing
Code:
$ packer -S openbrf --noconfirm
and you should be good to go.)

Feedback welcome!

Many thanks, I have made an Arch Linux AUR package with your native port, with icon, shortcut and mime type included:

Code:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/openbrf/

ydREz2q.png

b46sNRY.png

(If you are using this Linux distro with an AUR helper like
Code:
packer
, or
Code:
yaourt
then installing it should be as easy as typing
Code:
$ packer -S openbrf --noconfirm
and you should be good to go.)

Feedback welcome!
Bigger necro but I recalled your post here. I installed a new OS (Linux Mint) and wanted to give it a shoot to install OpenBRF on it. I found the files on your GitHub:

At the install instructions you write there:
Build instructions for Linux:

qmake-qt4 -makefile openBrf.pro make
Now I tried that but it can't find the operation qmake-qt4 because it is not installed. I struggle however to find the files for it since it is not getting hosted at the Qt Project anymore and the old install commands don't seem to work anymore. Can you please give me a hint on how to proceed here?

I imagine it has to do with Qt5 being the norm now. You can probably open the project with Qt Creator and give it a go at compiling, it should be more or less retro-compatible, I think. Maybe a few lines here and there need to be changed whenever it errors out. It probably won't be too difficult.

The packages for Mint seem to show up here. You'll need gcc or clang and some other common C/C++ build tools.

You can also see how the compilation, paths, icon and shortcut are created in the Arch Linux package version here, it also needs to install a specific version of vcglib, everything should be there: https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur....=e50da5fdb7d622e164c32bb6915b6dac497810ee#n25

The packages for Mint seem to show up here. You'll need gcc or clang and some other common C/C++ build tools.
I tried to install this package using the "Install" button there. It tells me then to choose a tool to open the apt-link which I do with AptURL. It only tells me afterwards that "qt4-qmake is a virtual package" whatever that means and quits. clang is installed, not sure if I need more to get that one working.

I imagine it has to do with Qt5 being the norm now. You can probably open the project with Qt Creator and give it a go at compiling, it should be more or less retro-compatible, I think. Maybe a few lines here and there need to be changed whenever it errors out. It probably won't be too difficult.
Giving it a shot now with the QT Creator.

Well, I dropped the QT Creator pretty quickly, I recalled again how much trouble I have had with it in the second last year.

I have downloaded now a package from the Ubuntu guys, I thought it might work as well for LinuxMint since it they are related in some way:
and installed it succesfully I think via sudo dpkg -i filename.deb. I have downloaded the VCGlib from here:
and edited the file path of it in the openBrf.pro file since I couldn't move it to the desired path (It was looking beneath the home folder but I couldn't move it there, so I lowered the call a level down).

qmake-qt4 -makefile openBrf.pro make still throws an error:
Code:
Cannot find file: make.

Just typing in qmake-qt4 -makefile openBrf.pro throws up no error but I don't think it has worked given that I cannot open the brf files by doubleclicking on them. Or is there some more I have to do to get this working?

Last edited:
Yeah, «make» is a different program, the one that actually does the building and orchestrates calling the different programs. «qmake» in this case generates the recipe in this particular format (a Makefile in the same folder), but as you can see above it can actually generate «recipes» for other similar targets that aren't «make», like Visual Studio.

What I meant in my previous post is the equivalent of the «build-essential» metapackage in Debian and Ubuntu; it includes «make» and more stuff: https://tecadmin.net/install-development-tools-on-ubuntu/

This stuff can sound arcane and mysterious when you start using it. So I get you. Also, just for the record, for OpenBRF you need vcglib v1.0.1, more modern than that and it won't work.

Good luck, I know you can do it, don't forget to change the VCGLIB variable in openBrf.pro to point to the correct folder and the other fiddly stuff I take care in the Arch Linux thingie. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back
Top Bottom