Idea: Fund for a new map editor

Users who are viewing this thread

Estoral

Sergeant
Recently I've been pretty frustrated with the lack of the development of a new map editor. I have in no ways the skill needed to make this myself, but I did have an Idea that might give some people an incentive to make one.

The Idea:
Create a Paypal account thats sole purpose will be to reward whoever comes out with a new map-editor as both a thank you and as some extra incentive. The account will be based on donations from the forum community, obviously most people won't donate but I believe some people (such as myself) would be more than willing to contribute a dollar or two in order to see this goal realized. If even a fraction of the people who would like to see a new map editor were to donate a small amount it would add up.
The account would then be awarded to whoever (person or team) comes out with the next mount and blade map editor.
Conditions for the map editor would be:
-it would have to work with warband.
-It would need a clear graphical interface.
-It would need to support the features currently supported by Thorgrims Map editor.

I can see how this most likely won't work, and even if this idea was liked by many in the community it would be difficult to make sure people are confident the money is going to be correctly allocated, however at this point that is all pretty distant.
I would like to hear from people if they think this is a good idea, If they have any suggestions, or if they think this should not even be attempted.
Thank you all for your time and maybe this will end up working.

Estoral said:
the money is going to be correctly allocated

This cant be verified unless a new map editor is finished and the creator opens a paypal account himself.

Until then everybody will think its a scam - which is smart.

I think Thorgrims map editor works just fine, might not be the most user friendly way of getting a map editor to work with Warband, but it works very well.

Mine works fine until I try to copy vertices. If I do it crashes. I heard rumors about using an older version of m&b will help. Can can anybody confirm that? I am currently using 1.011 or something like that.

GetAssista said:
Bolkonsky said:
Nah, moving parties on that thing is practically impossible.
Who cares. Map editing is doing fine. Party moving should be done in module sys anyway.
It takes forever though.  Especially when it's all guesswork.  Thorgrim's coordinates display no longer works for me.  :neutral: 

Yeh, takes a bit more time, but you get the parties where you want them. I've successfully made a huge SP map and a middle earth map for Warband using this method.

Caba`drin said:
Bolkonsky said:
It takes forever though.  Especially when it's all guesswork.  Thorgrim's coordinates display no longer works for me.  :neutral:

It needn't be guesswork. You can get map coords in-game via Edit Mode.

What?!  I didn't know this. 

How would I go about doing that? 

While I know this is all possible with what we have I just think a new updated tool for the community would be useful, especially for giving amateur modders and map makers and easier way in.
bt ya this would be a great scam, thats my main problem no way to really prove its not one as of now, unless someone knows how.

Back
Top Bottom