Having Some Trouble

Users who are viewing this thread

Lord Vaelis

Recruit
I need some help if anybody has some to offer.  I've tried everything I can think of.

I added some items to my game.  Nothing I haven't done before.

1. Placed the BRF file in the "resource" folder
2. Modified Module.ini to load the new BRF file
3. Added appropriate DDS textures to the "textures" folder
4. Copied existing item in Item_kinds1 changing the currently used model to the one I just added.

Has worked every time for me until now.  This time, however, while the item appears in game and in the marketplace even, when placed on my character (it's a helmet) the item appears beneath my characters feet!

What am I doing wrong.

Originally I had modified an already existing BRF and just imported the meshes and then created a new material for them with the textures.  But while that was getting the model into the game, it was not reading the texture and the item was invisible so long as it was on my character.

I'm at a complete loss here.  I haven't a clue what else to try or do.  Does anyone have any insight?

So I'm still at a loss.  I cannot figure out what is going on.  I've added dozens of items to my native game but adding them to this mod compilation is not yielding the desired results.

I attempted to add a few more things in order to figure out what is going on and I'm getting the same results.  If I import meshes into pre-existing BRF files then the mesh will not display it's texture or attach itself to the location it should.

If I add a new BRF file the added object attaches itself to nothing some distance from the character.

This is driving me insane.  Everything that I can see looks identical to those items that are working in the game.  Why aren't these ones?

I've no idea what the problem might be, but here is a quick list of stuff I would double check:

[*] is the new helmet model rigged? because it shouldn't be.
  To be sure, you can right click and "discard"=>"rigging"

(That's because, un-rigged helmets are auto-rigged by the game, which basically does the same of what OpenBRF does when you "mount on one bone"=> "head"...
but *rigged* helmets, which are a small minority in naive, do not undergo this operation in game.)

[*] is it in the spatial location and orientation the same as standard helmets?
To check, temporarily copy an existing working helmet in the same BRF file, select them both (you know, right, that you can multiple select with "shift+click")
then set "multiview mode" to "combo" and check that they appear more or less superimposed: approximately same size, same location, same orientation; one is drawn all over the other.

[*] does the scan module for errors (ctrl+E) in openBRF complains about anything related to the helmet, its material, etc?
If it does, you want to have a cloers look at that.

[*] "4. Copied existing item in Item_kinds1 changing the currently used model to the one I just added."
wait, you mean, in the .txt file?

That might well be the source of the problem, whatever it is.
The txt file, as you know, is not intended for direct editing.
A lot of things can very easily go wrong, for the most innocent of reasons (including, say, a end-of-line character), with consequences which can be unpredictable, very difficult to undo, or to trace back to a reasonable cause.

I'm sure you can find tons of tutorials in this forum, but the concept is that that this txt file is the final result of a processing (compilation) of a much easier to edit .py file.
The correct way is to edit the .py file, in the so called module system ("module_items.py" in this case), "compile" the module, and this produces the correct item_kinds1.txt file (among others).

As I said, a lot of things might otherwise go wrong.
Say, for example, that an existing helmet wants to  cover the face (substitute the mesh of the head instead of being added to it), or it just needs to substitute the hairs mesh, or that any other specific behavior (the list is quite long!).  In the txt file, this is all encoded together in a few impossible to interpret, puzzling numbers.
So, what is ok for a given helmet might not be ok for another one, for a number of reasons.
In the .py file, all these behavior are determined in a much easier to understand textual file, which is then converted into the puzzling numbers.
Not to mention, stuff like item indexing, which must be coherent all along the module --

Long story made short: very easy to mess things up editing just the txt files!

Edit: here's a link to get you started on that:
http://mbmodwiki.ollclan.eu/Custom_Items_into_your_mod_using_Open_Brf

Back
Top Bottom