Companions leaves lame horses

Users who are viewing this thread

Paison

Recruit
Sorry if this has already been asked here in the forums, but couldn't find a topic about it.

It seems like every time i let my companion auto-manage their equipment they will desert their horse if it's lame leaving me to pick it up to my equipment after a fight and then manually have to give back the horse to each companion.

Why is this? Can't my companions use a lame horse?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that lame horses can only recover if they aren't being ridden.

Can a horse a companion is riding even become lame?

I've never seen any of my companions horses become lame and they are complete idiots with at least one getting knocked off their horse in any decent fight. Though it is a massive pain to check a companions inventory to see if a horse has become lame, or for that matter if they are using a masterwork/balanced/heavy weapon or a normal variety, so I hardly ever check.

Katar said:
Can a horse a companion is riding even become lame?

I've never seen any of my companions horses become lame and they are complete idiots with at least one getting knocked off their horse in any decent fight. Though it is a massive pain to check a companions inventory to see if a horse has become lame, or for that matter if they are using a masterwork/balanced/heavy weapon or a normal variety, so I hardly ever check.
Yes, I'm fairly certain that the engine only lame's the player's horse. (All the laming/killing/healing horse business is handled outside of the module system--mod-able files--for some reason)

It might be so that the horse can recover when I have it in my backpack. Will try and see what happen :smile:
But my companions are not upgrading their horses, they just abandon them if they are lame and go by foot instead.

Yeah but I think they won't get any of the good imodbits anymore. If the horse used to be a Champion or Spirited horse or something, after it gets crippled and recovers it'll just be a normal horse.

Correct, all modifiers are removed once the horse becomes lame and won't come back.  Your heavy charger will just become a regular charger once healed. 

Only player horses can ever become lame.  Therefore you can safely give companions champion horses and they'll never become lame. 

Knowing the above, what I like to do is dismount my horse if it becomes low in HP.  I then find another horse to ride.  Only the horse you started the battle with can become lame, and only if you are ridding it.  Even if you dismount and your horse is lanced, it'll never become lame.  And no other horse can become lame if you mount it during battle, even if it's one of your companion's horses.

Haha yeah that's an old trick. It's tedious to do though. I generally dismount when the mount's HP is too low. Not only is it ridiculously slow anyway with the horse speed scaling option ticked (which I like), but I don't want to risk crippling or even killing my mount. I got a champion camel that I've grown attached to!

Back
Top Bottom