About Smithing

Users who are viewing this thread

Lopezgdanny

Recruit
Smithing -> waiting -> smithing ->waiting again
Does anyone else feels annoyed by how this system is?
I kind of enjoy the game better whenever I don't raise smithing. I tried the perks to increase the energy recovery and reduce the energy used for smelting, but even so It's still pretty annoying for me to do smithing, and you can get 1 point in endurance and 1 in vigor/control, but you have to spend at least 3 perk points on it to barely reach the level to unlock them (and only if you are maxing out endurance).
The energy bar is just for that, and doesn't seem to affect anything else, and somehow it also doesn't seem to recover by itself while walking or doing something else, unless you wait in a settlement. I was wondering if you could also craft armor, but maybe I got this mixed up or something, or how to craft bows/shields too, or repair the "low grade weapons" and make them better (like fixing some rusty axe and make it of better quality.
Also, the creation history seems to never save my first piece length whenever I load what I already did. I'm not sure if it's just me or if anyone else is having this issue, but I alreadyd id the file comparison to check if somethign was wrong, with nothing found, and I'm not using mods.
At least for myself, I had more fun while I completely ignore this feature, and I'm interested in knowing others opinions about it.

The end goal of smithing is getting rich easily as it is now. You can do millions, even without using any exploit, and you just have to complete orders which give 100k denars for crafting two handed swords, two handed axes, and two handed polearms. Once you reach +200 smithing skill level or so, you can make millions in few campaign days.

I find smithing excessively OP, so I skip it every time.

Talking specifically about the smithing mechanic, while it could be much better, I find it ok, but it is unbalanced.

Their smithing system is the worst in gaming history. They should remove the refining system entirely. Stamina should be removed or made to replenish anywhere, and you should be able to buy smithing Materials, then someone with an iq higher than room temperature should rebalance the economy such that workshops that moves thousands of pounds of raw materials are more profitable that like 2 crafted swords.

Yes, I skip it because the waiting is not acceptable once you progress in the game at all. At the start it's okay because you have no faction enemies, but once you progress at all it's ALWAYS better to spend campaign time hunting down enemy armies or doing a siege.

The idea that it's even useful is a joke though as you get tunz of money from just winning battles, there's not reason to smith for money, even early in the game. There's also no need to make custom weapons normal weapons do plenty of damage. An exception though would be building a basic 2 hander early since they are rare and expensive to buy, but you can just do that without doing any other smithing.

I think having a slow stamina recovery without waiting would be good though as it would allow some casual use of the smithing.

Same, I have had more fun in the gameplays where I don't have to grind smithing, and trading some perk points for some stat points seem good, but the lost time while grinding is awful.
I usually like grinding in games, but this grinding is something I didn't like.

I also hate to level smithing because of the dead waiting time between. On the other side it hurts to miss out on such a variety of weapons, mostly the ones you cant buy in some configurations.

This is why im reading the modding doc's currently.
Right now 3/4 ingame day waiting is 100% stamina.
For balancing reasons i would like to mod stamina regeneration to fill up during normal travel, like 4 full ingame days is 100% stamina. Only for the party leader due to balancing. Doesnt stack with waiting in towns, only while traveling and also not during sieges or other special encounters, only normal travel.
I think that would be fine.

Its like work & travel then. This way you could go from town to town as a smith working.

Or just remove stamina, that feature is kind of useless and annoying, it's just for smithing, and they made perks just for that, which are also in the endurance branch.

In all honesty I don't mind the smithing stamina system that much. Its a very difficult system to balance because of how powerful it is in terms of equipment and financial power, so something has to restrict you from being able to just overpower it day one. Typically I restore my stamina when sitting around healing or waiting, either for sundown at bandit camps or sunrise for tournaments.

For power gaming I do understand the frustrating part of the barrier it presents. Typically I split my initial followers so that some are colliers and refiners while others are smiths. Spending the time chasing down bandits to melt their weapons down and forge into throwing axes and javelins until you get that magical unlock can be frustrating but as soon as you do, the game is over. I think if the system of learning was flattened out to be targetable and streamlined, accelerated by perks and attributes it would feel better.

While I dont see anything wrong with your post, you have valid complaints and they deserve to be discussed at tale words some others in this thread are very childish and petty. The game has a very open system to allow modding as well as being a sandbox game that allows you to challenge yourself however you see fit. A number of you have established that not smithing lets you have more fun, and that's good. That's what you do in a sandbox game, you write your own story however you see fit. Nobody is forcing you to game the economy with smithing items, and its actually a good thing they dont restrict it to make the game arbitrarily more difficult because someone doesnt want to download increased difficulty mods despite them being the target audience for those The sense of overwhelming power to do whatever you want after becoming a filthy rich weapons merchant gives is something that has created many long term fans to the game that go on much longer than they would if it were just a medieval battle sim.

But all that is my opinion and you're welcome to disagree with mine all the same. Just try to keep it respectful, please.

Back
Top Bottom