Search results for query: *

1. askuaninja

Armor dilemma

I am currently running around with a scale mail as my body armor. It gives a lot of protection, with it's 55 on body armor and 24 in leg armor. But after fighting some norwegian vikings, I managed to get hold of a cloaked mail. It is identical to the scale armor, except has 3 more in body armor...
  2. askuaninja

The historically accuarcy of accuracy?

jacobhinds said:
    Muskets were actually quite accurate at close range, and there are records of marksmanship contests from quite early in firearm history iirc. The problem is that smoothbore bullets used to tumble/spin pretty fast, and would fly off wildly at a certain point in their trajectory when they began to slow down (something like 200m). This made them quite deadly any closer than that, but almost completely useless any further away.

Docm made a point about this in the original thread, stating that it was impossible to simulate this curved trajectory in warband, so he implemented a halfway house between pinpoint accuracy and ridiculous inaccurate uselessness.
    I think this best answers my question: The ballistics for muskets are too complicated to be implemented with the warbands engine. So instead the target reticule is bigger to reflect the poor accuaracy at longer ranges.

Oh, and docm, would it be possible to make the weapon proficiency make a bigger inpact on how fast firearms are reloaded? If you are good with a musket, you will of course shoot more accurate than someone who isn't. But as far as i know, in a military setting, it was more importaint to shoot fast, rather than accurate. And a recruit who has just learned how to use his musket would be slower than the line infantry who has been drilled to the point where he reloads without thinking. Food for thought, at least.

P.S: I know that high weapon proficiency already makes you reload faster, but it is so small, it is negligible. I tested this with the starting musket and the difference was about one second even when the difference in proficiancy was 400.

P.S again: Keep up the good work! This has the potential to be a great mod  :grin:
  3. askuaninja

The historically accuarcy of accuracy?

Muskets are inaccurate. Compared to modern firearms, very inaccurate. This is verly clear in the mod, where you can shoot a musket multiple times at fairly close range and still miss. As far as i know, this is historically accurate. But the DLC, Napolionic Wars, also got muskets. There, while...
  4. askuaninja

Feedback

This game has obviously been released too soon. There are some severe performence problems and a lot of bugs. We can only hope that the game will get some huge patches in the future, but that does not excuse all the problems at launch.

Ahh, why do so many recent games get released way too early?!
  5. askuaninja

Suggestions and ideas

The turkish and polish kalkan have identical stats, besides that the turkish one is slightly heavier(0.5) and is more expensive than the polish one(400 vs 250). That is even if you need to buy the polish kalkan at all. For the cossack style cavalryman in polish-lithuanian commonwealth, the polish kalkan is even free, but you can still buy the turkish one. But I have no idea why you would do that when they have almost the exact same stats.

I belive some balance is in order.
  6. askuaninja

Suggestions and ideas

Personally, I only want the respawns to be every third round instead of every fourth round. And perhaps bots willing to go into melee more. If you are playing as a pikeman, you get to stab the bots who charge in, and then have to wait while the musketeers finish up the rest of the rest of the bots who only stand there. Not much of a challenge.

But there is no need to make more the players any stronger. Because the players have what the bots lack: a brain. They can work together, build barricades and hide behind cover. If you made them stronger, they could just rambo the stupid bots without any effort. But make the players weak, like they are now, it encourages teamwork.

If a player die, why did he die? Was he overwelmed by bots? Then stick together with teammates and work togehter. Shot by a stray bullet? Keep your head down and behind cover. Honestly, if the players were strong enough to just waltz through the bots without any problems, what would be the fun?

But NightHawkreal, you say you want to make the players stronger. How much "stronger" and in what way?
  7. askuaninja

Suggestions and ideas

KuroiNekouPL said:
    In my opinion its thrust damage should be significantly higher. (even at a cost of slashing damage)
    Lets compare a rapier with a good cavalry wallon broadsword.
    Broadsword does 6 more slashing damage and 1 more thrust damage, which counts as piercing, so has a bonus against armors. It is only 5 units(cm?) shorter and 3 points slower. It is also 66 gold cheaper. It is 0.3 units(kg?) heavier, but it doesn't change much.
    Balance-wise it doesn't add up if you ask me. :smile:

In my opinion you could keep the price but make it stronger.
    I see your point, but why compare to good cavalry walloon broadsword? Wouldn't it make more sense comparing it to a good infantry walloon broadsword? Because the cavalry sword is restricted to cavarlymen, who can't even choose a rapier. There would be no dilemma for which of them to choose. But when playing an infantryman who got access rapier and other swords, it would be a dilemma for what sword to pick.

But on the subject of cavalry walloon sword: Why does that one got piercing thrusting damage, while the infantry variant has cutting? It would be more realistic if both did piercing, but i can understand cutting damage for balance. Yet still, why make such a big difference for the two types? Only talking about damage type here.
  8. askuaninja

Suggestions and ideas

I love that you have added some rapiers. Rapiers have to be one of my favorite sword to use, but i feel that is a bit underpowered.

Not bad, but more lacking. It is lighter than for example the broadsword (1.0 vs 1.3) very long for a sword and, taking the lenght into account, fairly fast(96). That are the good traits. On the other hand, for the price you pay for it(a bit over 600!) it is weak. The slashing damage does little damage(20c) which make sense, considering it is a thrusting weapon. But the thrusting damage is, for such a expensive and specialized  weapon, lacking. Not weak, no. 28c isn't weak, but for even less than 600...gold? Denars? Anyway, for less than 600 you can get a sword which does same, (perhaps even more) damage, both thrusting and slashing.

So either increse the thrusting damage or reduce the cost. I could also complain that it does cutting damage when stabbing instead of piercing damage, but the rapier was a sword for unarmored combat, so I suppose it makes sense.

And as such, I have made my case. Great mod and keep up the good work :grin:
  9. askuaninja

Discussion + Suggestions

Just wondering, what kind of culture does the dwarfes have and what kind of troops do they use?
  10. askuaninja

Discussion + Suggestions

I do like the custom archer animation and if the odd bending forward were to be removed, I would call it perfect. But is it just me or are the custom animation slower than the native one? That could make a slight balance problem, at least in my eyes, with the crossbows. The biggest strength of the bow is that it shoots faster than the crossbow. A slower bow, means less of an advantage.

But i might exaggerate that differerence. But on the topic of crossbows, I found their use in the game bit strange. In battle, bows beat crossbows because of speed. But crossbows were popular because of their ease of use and less requirement than the bow. A good archer needs a lot of training to become strong enough to use a bow effectively, but a crossbowman much less. So the way I see it, crossbowmen should be cheaper and faster to train and have less upkeep, so that you can have many of them, but be less useful in battle. Archers on the other hand would be the opposite. To balance the strongest crossbows, you could, and should, make them really slow, as they were in real life.

Just to make them more unique  :grin:
  11. askuaninja

Discussion + Suggestions

Michadr said:
    Thanks for the feedback. I wont respond to all that fully but it's taken into note. but one thing is forsure, the AI is it battle or campaign needs some ironing out. We will try to make it better in version 0.7

I also have something in mind that I want feedback on. What do you guys/girls/players/people think of this archer animation?

It's not exactly that animation as it would have a slight tweak but that's a quick video i could find for it. Do you like it, do you not? Should we add it to Perisno?

I think that all the other "alternative" animations looks stupid, exept this one. Don't know that much about archery, but it looks realistic. Mostly taking and nocking the arrows.

But, as you said above, there will be a "slight tweak" to the animation. What exactly is this tweak?
  12. askuaninja

Discussion + Suggestions

No reply...such a shame.

Well, what about an easier suggestion: make people talk about your actions. If i am correct, you are going to implement a rumor system. Not quite sure how it will work, but what if there were rumors about what you had done? For example destroying an special army, making yourself king/queen or what not. It doesn't need to be much, but just that the game "acknowledges" your actions is going to to a lot for immersion.
  13. askuaninja

Discussion + Suggestions

You can send the companions to gather support for you, i.e. right to rule. But when you become a king/queen over your own kingdom, you are never obligated to do the things your companions promised. Some companions I just hire so I can send them out to gather right to rule. Even if I am strongly against what they "preach". But again, it doesn't matter since I never hear about it again. But what if I did?

What if, that after you become king, you would have a choice to implement the things you promised you were going to? Be it more right to pesants or harsher punishments against bandists. It could lead to lower spawn rate of bandits, more income from fifes, better relation with lords, etc. But of course at a cost. Be it a constant cost each month or some kind of modifier. And if you refuse to implement the change, it will have consequences. Consequences like you loose right to rule, the companion who made the choice would leave, a rebellion or get a negative modifier for a while.

Just add something so it's not just free right to rule.
  14. askuaninja

Post items you would like in AOC II (screenshots of items in progress)

Just two weapons from the far north:

The norwegian battle axe
    ABoks.jpg

A strange deisign, but it has a purpose. With it, one can make a sliding cut with the force of a straight handle.

Tessak
    tessakklinger11.jpg

A "farmers sword" so to speak. I am no expert in swords and with so many different handles and blades, it seems strange to call all of the swords tessaks. Regardless, their origin lies in the "bondevæpningen", where the king armed the farmers with weapons so that they could help defend the land. Didn't work out so well, but still. A nice weapon for low tier troops.

Pictures are from http://norskevaapen.no/. There are many weapons there that were used by norway. Mostly from later than the timeframe you have set for the mod, but some fit.
  15. askuaninja

Perisno Q&A + FAQ

Hmm. I got a lot of answers for the second question, but noe for the last. So, I will ask again: Will there be released an "update" to v0.7 for people who already got v0.61?

16. askuaninja

Perisno Q&A + FAQ

Abot said:
    askuaninja said:
    In case you weren't aware, you can go to the middle of a long thread by clicking the ellipses (...) in between the page numbers and it will expand to show more page numbers.
    I know, but for long(200- ish) threads and you want to go 20 or 30 pages back from the last page, it takes a while. Or what about you don't know where you need to look? That is a lot of posts to go through...
  17. askuaninja

Perisno Q&A + FAQ

But you just did :lol:

Anyway, thanks. I already knew about the link, but didn't notise that it was a discription of the idea for the troops there(in the notes). The disign philosophy, if you will. My bad :oops:

I find searching for information in forums difficult. Especially in long threads, where you can't go to the middle pages in an easy way. But with the answer this time so easy to find, I suppose I will just have to look harder next time.

Thanks again :grin:
  18. askuaninja

Perisno Q&A + FAQ

When I was asking, I was not looking for how to balance cavary troops against other troops, but how it will be done for Realm of the falcon. Will they be lighter? More expensive? weaker? The other factions does not start with mounted troops, exept the reich for some reason, but has them as a top tier. In other words, it takes a lot of time and money to train them. But the Realm of the falcon has horses all the time. That is a huge advantage. So they got to have some kind of disatvantage which will make them more balanced.

The answers I have gotten so far is how cavalry is usualy balanced, not how it will be balanced for the faction. And I know of many possibilities for how you can balance cav, but I was asking, and still is, which of the possibilities that will be used.

So can someone who knows the answer, answer?
  19. askuaninja

Perisno Q&A + FAQ

Just wondering: When(hopefully) version 0.7 get released, will you have a download for people who got 0.611? An update so you don't have to download the mod all over again.

The reason is that my internett is slow so the less i have to download, the better.

Oh, and another thing! The Realm of the falcon seems like a cool faction, but how do you plan to balance them against the other factions when they all have horses? I guess they won't nessesarely be so great in sieges, but on the battlefield? Seems overpowered...
  20. askuaninja

Perisno Weapons

Just wondering, when it comes to bows: Are stronger bows really better? Sure, they do more damage, it would seem, but then there is that with the power draw. You get a 14% bonus for each power draw point over the requirement to use the bow. For that reason i ran around with the Perisno bow for most of the game(25p, 2 power draw). And because I had 6 in power draw, it should have done, according to my calculations, 42 in damage!

So those bows with 7 in power draw req. isn't necessarely that good. Or that is at least my take on it. 
Back
Top Bottom