Search results for query: *

1. Hjolnai

[DISCUSSION] Fan Suggestion Thread

I would like to see the ability to upgrade regional nobles ("Young Western Adventurer") to the delocalised rogue knight tree. It would have to be at the "Young adventurer->squire" point, since they already have two options at squire->knight. This would allow sizeable armies of rogue knights to be mustered, although that may not be the best thing for balance.
  2. Hjolnai

POP 3.61 patch RELEASED

A few things:
    Since we're not supposed to upgrade Lethaldiran's equipment until level 30, he should probably have a helmet. Without it, he's vulnerable for too long.

Ravenstern infantry have polehammers as secondary weapons all through the middle tiers, but discard them when becoming Kierguards. Since the Jatu are among their natural enemies, they should probably keep some polearm for cavalry (and from what I've seen, the AI handles it well, only taking them out when faced with mounted enemies). But then, it's a bit late to be making such a change to faction design - so probably best to forget it.

It is annoying not being able to attack mercenary spawns until we find something else to attack without too much cost. A solution could be to allow an attacking dialogue option, but have it use the same response as normal vassals - so we can still declare war by attacking mercenaries.

We cannot currently join in sieges where neither side is hostile.
  3. Hjolnai

power draw and crossbows

I would make runed crossbows like this:
    Ruby: Speed 30-35, accuracy 82-85, damage 180 (enough that it doesn't matter, everything dies - note that Ruby Rune Bow reaches 140 with Noldor Arrows, 10 PD and not counting scaling for 300 skill or whatever). Requires 24 strength.
    Emerald: Speed ~40, accuracy ~90, damage 120 (about the same as Emerald Bow with 10 PD). Requires 20 strength.
    Sapphire: Speed 50, accuracy 95, damage 100. Requires 18 strength.

Then they could be scaled up from there to find an appropriate balance, probably by lifting the speed anywhere up to half their respective bow equivalents and maybe lifting accuracy. Setting them to pierce shields may also help, though I believe steel bolts already have that.
  4. Hjolnai

[TUTORIAL] Custom Knighthood Order

This is an impressive addition to POP.

One question: Rogue knights have access to Noldor Bows and Runed Bastard Swords. Will these be available for personal Orders? It will probably be badly unbalancing if so, though by that time of the game it shouldn't matter too much.
  5. Hjolnai

Suggestion Thread for Post POP 3.6

If the option for execution were implemented, I would expect retribution in kind: If you are later captured by a friend or relative of a lord you executed, they should kill you. That would put some realistic cost to execution - you risk a sudden end to your campaign.

Edit: This is not to say I have an opinion either way on whether it should be implemented at all.
  6. Hjolnai

SP Fantasy (Game of Thrones) A Clash of Kings (7.0 released 13th of May, 2019)

I've started on 0.8, and noticed one issue: the Bastard Sword weapons still don't have the one-handed attack animations, so if you try to use them with a shield you just sit there, not attacking.
  7. Hjolnai

How and Where Do You Like To Start Your Kingdom?

arthoz said:
    By the way adventurers are very useful defenders for siege...their archery makes up for lost bowmen and they survive longer...I guess using adventurers are good multipurpose unit...

I haven't really tried using adventurers much, but Rogue Knights work nicely. They have a good chance of spawning with a Noldor Composite Bow and/or a Runed Bastard Sword, so their low proficiencies don't drag them down. They're also cheaper, since they don't have the mercenary wage penalty or the very high level of Hero Adventurers.

However, my favourite troops to fill garrisons are low-level crossbowmen, since they're cheap and can kill heavily-armoured troops. Snake Cult Armsmen are better than Empire hunters/skirmishers, since they have heavy crossbows and good armour. Unfortunately, they're hard to get in numbers and the castle will gradually "upgrade" them to Cobra Warriors which are not such good defenders (though decent).
  8. Hjolnai

Lordless playthru? Yes, please...

I'm pretty sure that's not a multiplier - that value defines the battle size slider, where a value of 0.0 is the minimum size of 30, and 1.0 is 150. Hence, if you set it to 2.0, you get 30+(120*2)=270.
  9. Hjolnai

Well, it would probably make a bit more sense if villager units used the staff in battle - that would be more effective than a dagger, and would make the training make more sense.
  10. Hjolnai

I hope that there will be more Ñoldor troops。

MitchyMatt said:
    Hjolnai said:
    The change I would like to see for the Noldor is simply this: weaken their bows (and all the other magic bows available) - I find it unrealistic to have pinpoint arrows which also penetrate armour like it was paper. Half health at five hundred yards through steel plate, steel mail and then a gambeson seems just a bit excessive.

Maybe that's why they are DANGEROUS to come into contact with and beneficial to have them on your side. Their bows are fine considering they are "magical" and are elven made. Since when has the game been overly too realistic, never. We fluctuated the bows/arrows ratios a while back and considered it a done-deal. The bows will remain the same.

Oh, I wasn't asking you to change it (though it probably sounded that way). From a gameplay perspective it makes sense - I'm just a bit pedantic where it comes to combat realism (which is effectively impossible for a game anyway). Also, I need to have more self-control and not personally use the magical bows as much.
  11. Hjolnai

I hope that there will be more Ñoldor troops。

The change I would like to see for the Noldor is simply this: weaken their bows (and all the other magic bows available) - I find it unrealistic to have pinpoint arrows which also penetrate armour like it was paper. Half health at five hundred yards through steel plate, steel mail and then a gambeson seems just a bit excessive.
  12. Hjolnai

Oh, if you continue with that then the Empire's castles will be nigh unassailable. Fortunately the Empire suffers from an infestation of Snake Cultists, so there don't tend to be too many of them.
  13. Hjolnai

Alternatively, a playthrough where your top-tier troops may not be sword-based. That is, they tend more to any other melee weapon, or they are archers/mounted archers. In this situation, you could use Empire Armored Pikemen but not Legionnaires, Knights of the Raven Spear (which use only morningstars and lances) but not Shadow Legion Centurions.
    Of course, the problem with this is that it's a pain to look up troops' item lists all the time. A more restrictive approach (they cannot have swords ever) makes it easier to keep track, but much harder to play.
  14. Hjolnai

Guide: The Perfect Character

Munaus said:
    I know that many of you dream of being a Demigod on the battlefield, who wouldn't?

But here's a shocker that might bring you back to earth: It's a gameplay-killer!

I've tried once making a "perfect" character in oblivion (TES4, for those who don't know  :mrgreen:), and damn I truly tried... No jumping, No Running, being very careful what quests I do and what permanent skills/attributes I might gain from books.

I simply sighed one day and quit the game. It was becoming outright boring...

Of course, grinding in M&B is nothing like oblivion :razz: but the grinding is still the same.

For me, the "perfect" character in a game comes after several playthroughs and finally seeing how I want my guy to look and act.
    When I finally "feel" like a badass on the field, then I know he is perfect.

Just my opinion, hope I didn't burst anyones fantasies :razz:

You may have some points here, but I find that "perfect" approaches to these characters make things more fun (in POP). Quite simply, I never put a single point in any attribute except intelligence, because Qualis gems eventually reach maximum for all the rest - skills become the bottleneck later, and intelligence provides them.

As such, I actually stay weaker for longer - and it feels much more of an accomplishment to kill a Dawn Knight with what amounts to a pointy stick and some courage, than to kill hundreds of warriors with your magical weapons and Lordly full plate (which cost a quarter of a million denars when it showed up in Ravenstern for me).

Of course, if equipment had lower strength requirements, there wouldn't be the experience of not even being able to use a light lance (requires 9 or 10, I think - and some character builds start with 6 strength). That's the point where you really feel weak - no equipment works.
  15. Hjolnai

Official Poll Thread Current topic: Possible 3.6 Addition

Well, historically neither swords nor arrows could really do anything to plate harness - if you wanted to use a sword, you basically had to try thrusting it into the gaps protected only by mail. Crossbows could penetrate nicely, but even they could be stopped by the best (particularly at long range). Unfortunately, there is no armour value which reflects this at present without also stopping maces, morningstars and polearms, because ranged damage is higher than melee. As such, an addition of excessively heavy armour to stop these would be too strong.
  16. Hjolnai

Yes, Empire Armored Crossbowmen are solid troops, particularly for sieges where they take so much longer to run out of bolts. I actually prefer them in the field, too - against really heavy armour their higher damage per shot lets them catch up in damage per second.
  17. Hjolnai

I'd like to see the Iron Mace (the two-handed one from Native) become one/two-handed. Its stats are already close enough to the Morningstar that it wouldn't disrupt balance, and it could be substituted for the Morningstar for some units to give variety (with caution - too wide availability will bring too many prisoners and too much money for the player). It also looks much lighter than a number of the swords we swing one-handed, so it doesn't look silly when used one-handed.

Of course, this is really not a big enough change to bother putting in, unless the aesthetic variety of knights' crushing weapons is wanted.
  18. Hjolnai

[LEGACY] Quick Questions // Quick Answers

noosers said:
    Well, does it matter that much? The 0,5% weekly reknown loss is insignificant. Even with 10000 reknown, that´s 50 per week. One should be able to grind considerably more than that out of bandits in a week, if there´s no Lord warparties left to fight.

No, it's not that important. The only way it could is if you spent 10 000 prestige, and found it difficult to build renown higher than that - and with good honour, that's 5000 knights. No one needs more than that to conquer Pendor, I'm sure.
  19. Hjolnai

[LEGACY] Quick Questions // Quick Answers

Well, it's recorded in Reports as "Character Renown/Prestige" and "Prestige Spent", which could indicate that it's based on current renown rather than all renown earned.
  20. Hjolnai

When you break lords out, they tend not to have 100% health unless they've been there a while, because they lost it all in the battle where they were captured and haven't fully regenerated. I don't know if they're actually weaker in other ways, but I suspect they're not - the lower health is weakness enough.
Back
Top Bottom