Search results for query: *

1. L.Hopper

The 1st East Prussian Infantry (1stEPI) * The Oldest in the Community*

Littlefield said:
    Good training today everyone, good attendance, thanks for coming, and Congratulations Korporal Hopper!

The only promotion note I got on here.... page 17 and a little over a thousand posts ago. I miss those days.
  2. L.Hopper

Beta3 to be delayed.

Deofuta said:
    redhelwar said:
    This kid bothered people in NW and his regiment is a bunch of troublemakers, I remember when his third in command knocked out one of my guy's internet for a week just for trashtalking them in a match. I doubt he is a 'hacker', just another script kiddie that knows someone that can crack DRM.

I am so confused by this statement. The 1st East Prussian Infantry would never do such a thing. My third in command is a 30 something southern civil war reenactor who couldn't tell a hack from a virus scan.

To Deo:
                Dear 'o dear... Never had it put like that before Deo, but you hit the nail right on the head.

To Redhelwar:
                I have no idea who you are, who your friend is or give a damn about both on the matter with your garbage attitude as such. As for the hacking comment you made: My extent of computer hacking/advanced knowledge is 0. I do not wish to hack a person's computer, and if I did wish to as I do not have the skills/care to because of a juvenile trash talking over a video game.... Raging teenage hormones are a terrible thing to show.
  3. L.Hopper

NW Completed North American Hardcore Line Battle [Fridays & Tuesdays][Full]

5arge said:
    The flags are not key to winning, otherwise I would totally agree. You can still win the round by killing all of the enemy side. This just adds a new goal to aim for, a more skillfull win.
    Well it definetly is different then usual, if done properly and moderated competently (like I know it will be), should be a nice little battle.
  4. L.Hopper

NW Completed North American Hardcore Line Battle [Fridays & Tuesdays][Full]

5arge said:
    The idea is to encourage infantry to stay together as one large group. It is like applying the firing in formation rule to regiments as opposed to individual soldiers. Skirmishers and cavalry would then be able to live up to their traditional roles because infantry would be anchored together for the most part. Normally, this kind of rule would encourage camping, because it is easier to fight as a large line if you don't move.

A very nice idea if done properly, it might take time to fully polish this system but I'm sure it will all be fine. Also, perhaps have a few "Linebattle Battalion Trainings" to teach the Line Infantry units how this system would work.

5arge said:
    To avoid that, there is a capture the flag element to the battle, which creates the need to maneuver against your foe. But, instead of putting one flag on each end of the field and making the battle linear (pun intended), there are 4 flags in play, 2 for each team. You need 3 flags in your HQ to win, so you could just march out and capture your enemy's colors, then return to your HQ with your flag and the enemy flag. But, you have to make sure that your HQ flag is still there when you return!

The flag system however seems a bit silly. If this were implemented just within the regular Tuesday and Friday Linebattles (Infantry staying together in lines like proposed in the first qoute), with the Battalions and etc this would be a phenomenal idea, but if the flags are key to winning it may be abused and a nightmare to manage and would seem more of a "Fun Event" instead of a NA Hardcore Linebattle.
  5. L.Hopper

The 1st East Prussian Infantry (1stEPI) * The Oldest in the Community*

It's cancelled tonight, but that's some good enthusiasm.
  6. L.Hopper

Call for reenactors! [ Voice-over ]

Hinkel84 said:
    BobNLarry said:
    Contact the Californian Historical Society. They do various historical periods like the Civil War and events like Marching Thru History and frequent Civil War events around my area.

I dont think that they will help here.
    Like every band or organisation I asked, the answer is the following:

Come to one of our events and record the stuff yourself.

I'm living in germany, so its not that easy to fly to that event.. and getting a professionel record stuff with..  :grin:

Hinkel: That would be the best I could do for ya.

(On a side note) Larry: No kidding! Fort MacArthur is one of the better timelines out there!
  7. L.Hopper

Revolvers.

davisb1986 said:
    TheBoberton said:
    Alright, time to play the Devil's Advocate again, for both sides.

• In 1861, pistols utilizing metallic cartridges weren't in use. If you wanted to load a pistol at this point you had to pour powder into each individual chamber of the cylinder, followed by the ball. Then you packed it down, using the pistol's loading lever, and then put wax or grease over the top of the chambers, unless you wanted all six rounds going off when you fired the first one.

You are right they didn't use metal cartridges but for faster reload both armies came up with a paper cartridge much like the musket so they didn't have to measure powder and then put each individual round or pistol minie ball in it. They bit off the end and while trying to lose as little powder as possible put the open end into the top of the cylinder and used the built in rammer to push the whole thing in. The cartridge had the minie or round ball in it and the paper worked as the wadding. They did have to recap all 6 percussion caps separately so it still took some time to reload, but NOT nearly as long as your think in the above statement. The Capt. of my Civil War reenactment group uses a model 1860 Army Colt Revolver and he makes paper cartridges like it was done in the Civil War. On top of that most officers carried 2 to 3 spare loaded cylinders and would use those first before using the paper cartridges. I have a 1851 Colt Navy revolver replica and I fire it for fun at the firing range and use 3 separate cylinders before reloading a single one.

Good on ya Dave, glad to see someone else who actually has done some of this, not read about it. (We are few.  :smile:) For your last post, film it. Not saying I don't believe you but....
  8. L.Hopper

Rank Insignia

Was never a fan on the straight V chevrons, always liked the "Gull Wing" chevrons.

INS-995-4.jpg
  9. L.Hopper

National Geographic "Hardcore" reenactment

Going through photos, I have shot at the 20th Maine Co.G at a event or two before, and they seem like a great bunch of guys. Haven't personally sat down and talked to them from what I can remember (perhaps I have?). If I do make it to Moorpark this year, I'll have to look on the Yankee side of life for them a bit harder.

As for hats and clothing like we talked about before, definitely shop around with different sutlers online and at the events. I know for a fact that most of the union companies have a "slop chest" for the new fish so don't get pressured into buying everything the first time out; it's an Investment. Try on a jacket at the event, see how you like the feel of it, pants, shoes, hat size and preference, and I'll send ya some less expensive websites I get items from that are close to California, cuts down on shipping. (I know your parents would like that, mine did when I started!).
  10. L.Hopper

National Geographic "Hardcore" reenactment

Roughing it in campaign is quite enjoyable.... but when it starts raining barrels I prefer my Fleetwood "Tin Teepee".
  11. L.Hopper

Call for reenactors! [ Voice-over ]

I dunno if I can get recordings for you but i'm sure there are other ways I can help.

12. L.Hopper

So how did the game do financially?

biggun34 said:
    Not to be rude but it's no ones business but there's anyway. At the end of the day it is their job, personally I would not discuss my salary with any Tom, **** and Harry but that might just be me.  :roll:

Exactly! I wouldn't go up and ask any of you how much money do you make in a month or any period of time. Its called respect.
  13. L.Hopper

Fix Bayonets!

Hinkel84 said:
    When you get better melee stats with a fix bayonet, every player would fix the bayo at round start, cause they don't have to fear any negative aspects.

That's why the Socket Bayonet was invented.

Hinkel84 said:
    In our North&South mod, we included that option:

Rifle with no bayonet = better accuracy but less melee stats.
    Rifle with fixed bayonet = lower accuracy, but better melee stats.

The only two things I can agree with are these two right here, but with modification:
    Rifle with no bayonet = better accuracy, but less melee stats. -Why? It's a intricate club with a barrel and trigger when not loaded. Current Cavalry Musket in NW
    Rifle with fixed bayonet = lower accuracy, but better melee stats. -Why? It's a intricate club with a trigger and pointy spike attatched when not loaded. Current Infantry Musket in NW

I stand by No buffers on anything that should not have it warranting.
  14. L.Hopper

Fix Bayonets!

I'm perfectly fine with being immobile for the 2 seconds it takes to fix it. I'm Not Ok with the Buffers with it on! For example: Less accuracy and a reduced reloading speed. There shouldn't be any type of buffer with a bayonet on. Buy a musket, try it.
  15. L.Hopper

Fix Bayonets!

Sturmdodo said:
    We need the ability to forget ramrods in our barrels! oh but to observe the sight of ramrods whooshing hither and thither through the air  :grin:

With so many other things... Misfires, Pan flashes, Broken Flint etc etc.... Something I hate when I go to the range is having the damn musket get the ball lodged in itself.

But back to the Topic...
  16. L.Hopper

Fix Bayonets!

Talii said:
    In order to not impale your reloading arm on the Bayonet, you'd have to be more careful, and thus, slower, when reloading. Also, the increased weight should decrease accuracy.

As Matmannen said, If you have a bayonet, You'll be good to go for melee. If you dont have  a bayonet attached, You'll be more proficient when shooting. You can, however, still fight without a Bayonet, as well as you can still fire with a bayonet. Just not as good as usual.

The bayonet is 14 inches long, not including the socket coupler to the musket. There is No Possible Way to "impale your arm" on the tip; unless your actually trying to! Reloading does not change at all other then changing the musket position from being perpendicular to you to being parallel with your body (reloading always takes place in front of the soldier). This does not slow any of the processes down at all, and the weight of the added bayonet changes minimally. What is another 10oz to a 9 1/2lb musket already? Nothing. The accuracy does not change either with or without the bayonet attached.

17. L.Hopper

Adult regiments

This is quite a good idea! I had looked around for a while for a place where the leader isn't a "squeaker" and arn't many around. Might be a bit difficult to start up, but once your going, you have a good solid base.

Kegger said:
    Well said India.

Although  I personally don't mind you acting fatherly. I think its pretty cool that someone is willing to explain things in a fatherly way to the younger players, as opposed to me just putting on my best sergeant impression and yelling at them/beating them.
    That being said with the little ones around: Acting as a father or older brother figure, explaining how things are done and why is respectable and shows character. Someone who yells just to terrify the poor kid by acting as a tough guy needs to sit and do some deep soul searching to figure out his own maturity.
Back
Top Bottom