Search results for query: *

1. Rubberduck

Spear & Shield of Modern Warfare: What'd won in the close future?

My two cents, the one to win is the one who uses his spear/shield/whatever better than other guy. Spear can block, and shield can be used to beat opponent too.

*oh I feel so smart and philosophical now*
  2. Rubberduck

Historical things that make you smile.

Orchid said:
    I do wonder how you'd get around to pinching him in the middle of a fight though?

It´s in Talhoffer´s book, and it´s for robbing, not fighting. There are also tricks like shooting crossbow mounted, over your shoulder, to help you escape. Oe poking backwards with lance. :mrgreen:
  3. Rubberduck

worst strategic decision / mistake

Skot the Sanguine said:
    Rubberduck said:
    So Persians were like...Cro-Magnon?

mahmoud-ahmadinejad.jpg

caveman.jpg

Maybe...

Ok, I agree it´s bit hard to argue with that....
  4. Rubberduck

worst strategic decision / mistake

Roach XI the Magnificent said:
    Greatest mistake? Hmm. That's a big one. How about the rash Achaemenid admiralty at Salamis? Had they opted for starving the Athenians out rather than charging headlong into envelopment, we might still live in the stone age.

So Persians were like...Cro-Magnon?
  5. Rubberduck

Arn

Skot the Sanguine said:
    My god, all you need are my Marcomanni ancestors for fodder!  :lol:

Alas, no. No hairy barbarians doing Zulu warchant. :wink: In one point of the book, Guillou slips and actually calls Birger Jarl Arn. No wonder, since whole fourth book continues the line of all others, meaning how awesome our Liberal Templar Arn is/was.

Just out of curiosity. Anyone know if there ever was any Swedes in Templar Order?
  6. Rubberduck

Arn

Arise from thy grave. By the power of Dread Gates I command thee! *Puts away necromancer robes*

*ahem*

As a little addition to this now zombified thread, I managed to trudge through fourth book, The Arn´s Heritage. Guillou had even nerve to copy the battlescene from Gladiator. Cavalry charge to rear, massed use of archery, and catapults using greek-fire.
  7. Rubberduck

Historical Nicknames

Demetrios Poliorcetes (the Besieger), got the nickname after year long (unsuccesful) siege of Rhodes. Megalomaniac, who built massive siege towers, ships, and reportedly survived catapult bolt though jaw. Lived to die in old age in Seleucid captivity. :mrgreen: If you read his history, he was one tough s.o.b.
  8. Rubberduck

Were mounted crossbowmen real?

Wandalstouring said:
    Yes, they are on skis. The domesticated reindeer was often raised from a very yound age among humans, so possibly some of them were domesticated enough to carry a man. The source doesn't appear to be fanciful. However, we know of latter Finnish cavalry using horses, so maybe the reindeer was available, but not the best mount. There has been a recent report in German news about a girl riding a cow (http://www.nordbayern.de/nuernberger-nachrichten/region-bayern/sie-wollte-ein-pferd-jetzt-reitet-sie-auf-einer-kuh-1.110086:cool: and riding oxen in races is a kind of fun entertainment (http://www.ochsenrennen.de/). So I think it perfectly possible to ride the strangest animals (http://www.creepysantaphotos.com/2009/12/07/santa-riding-an-ostrich/).

Problem is, that reindeer is not strong enough to carry man. It is used as draught (sp?) animal to pull sledges or skiers. You do know that Olaus Magnus attributed some weird stuff to northern peoples.
  9. Rubberduck

Arnulf of Metz?

FrisianDude said:
    Hah, I thought he would have/should have been celibate.

That´s what they claim. Clergy were quite horndogs anyway. :wink:
  10. Rubberduck

Your Favorite Medeival Weapons

Dane Axe, if you can´t figure the reason (See faction), tough luck.  :cool:
  11. Rubberduck

Why Did the Roman Empire die off?

Problem with creating alternate histories, is that people apply current morals to historical time. Just a thought. :eek:
  12. Rubberduck

Favorite Historical Quotes

A historical joke.

Man sees Spartan beating a slave and shouts him: "Stop treating him like your social equal!"
  13. Rubberduck

Favorite Historical Quotes

"Gold may not always get you good swordsman, but good swordsman will always get gold."
  14. Rubberduck

Istanbul? - Konstantinopolis? - Byzantium?

FrisianDude said:
    I understand, but explain that to the poobrain. :razz:

I know.  :wink: Maybe I should post Wettenhovi-Aspa´s Kaleva connection to ancient Egypt. :mrgreen:
  15. Rubberduck

Allegro said:
    ancalimon said:
    KırkPınar (FortySprings).  There is even a place named FortySprings in Finland.
    Ancalimon... are you serious?? If so this is going to change lots of things and I'm going to retract everything I've said to you before. Please respond shortly as I'm anxious.

He is pulling things from his ass. Finnish word for spring is lähdeif talking about the one with water. Or jousi if meaning bed- or carspring.

@Frisian, Turku sure as heck has nothing to do with turks. :cool:
  16. Rubberduck

ancalimon said:
    KırkPınar (FortySprings).  There is even a place named FortySprings in Finland.

You sir are pulling things from thy rectum. Where in Finland is this FortySprings?

This is almost as hilarious as guy who tried to prove connection between Finns and ancient Egyptians. :razz:
  17. Rubberduck

Yataghan

:mrgreen: Thanks for satisfying my inner pedantic a-hole. I checked one jousting helmet, and front piece is about 6mm thick, and pack about half of that. And it weights about 25 lbs.  :cool:
  18. Rubberduck

Yataghan

Steel armor was mostly 2mm thick, FYI. Maybe double in helmet forehead part in jousting helmet.
  19. Rubberduck

Ancient western martial art and weapons fighting techniques

Tumetsu said:
    http://www.swordschool.com/

I've recently started l practicing with longsword here. It's Italian school of swordsmanship and bit different than German version.

Did their basic course last year, but savate takes my time now. Have fun there. :mrgreen:
  20. Rubberduck

Ancient western martial art and weapons fighting techniques

Merlkir said:
    Right. It looks incredibly silly. But most martial arts do look silly.

Kas-pin is fabricated bs and not historical martial art. founder has some experience in martial arts, and made up his "family" art.
Back
Top Bottom