Recent content by Turtler

1. Open Black Screen on Startup and Unbearable Loading Delay

Right. I have just confirmed this is also afflicting my installations of both the original M&B (which is installed on GOG) and Warband (which I have through Steam), so I will be crossposting this on both forums. There is no easy way for me to say this, but I have not the slightest idea what has...
  2. Open Black Screen and painfully slow Loading during Startup

Right. I have just confirmed this is also afflicting my installations of the original Mount and Blade (which is installed on GOG), so I will be crossposting this to that thread. There is no easy way for me to say this, but I have not the slightest idea what has happened. I have had this game...
  3. SP Native Modern The Parabellum (WW1 in Calradia)

Melfius said:
    First, three people made commets taht supported the fight. They arent part of the parabllum, nor NaS, so their comment are meaningless, adn dont give attention to them.

I'm sorry mate, but since when the heck do you think Mod Consumers- as in, the average Joe Schmoe and law abiding, rule obeying forum goer- is meaningless just because we don't possess the knowledge to mod?

I don't need to personally be a mod to see how The Parabellum Screwed The Damn Pooch when it came to asset requests, for the same reason I don't need to work at freaking Electronic Arts to realize that taking their assets without approval is a spectacular way to get in front of a legal team. The idea that I somehow need to have created an asset myself in order to weigh in on a mod's status and nature is freaking bogus, and the same kind of guilt tripping I see every day in lieu of a better argument.

And again, My comments are not meaningless. They touch on the modding etiquette of the matter. They touch on the way taking from EA is a spectacularly reckless idea. They touch on the kind of feeling of betrayal a naive player has when they see reports of the Mod Creator saying that their ModDB project was pulled down to an accident and that the ModDB staff said as much.

And they touched on the merits of the mod itself, including how I DO Think it is fun, and has broken new ground in how modern warfare is depicted in the Mount and Blade Engine.

The idea that you get a free ride to denigrate me personally (which is a big no no) let alone pour my comment down the toilet because I am not a member of a mod team is frankly stupid, and will never fly.

And moreover, if you want to defend this mod this is precisely the wrong way to do it. Because it makes you look like callous, uncaring trolls.

Melfius said:
    VC24, Tovias, and Turtler have presented good arguments, but that is not how a negotiation works.

No, it's not.

But you seem to be under the mistaken impression that this is a negotiation. It's not.

This mod is in clear violation of forum rules. It is almost certainly in violation of EA's intellectual property rights. What you don't seem to get is that- for however fun the mod is ( and I do think it is fun), it is on Awfully thin ice.

A DCMA could come down from EA tomorrow (and in the case of ModDB I think it might already have been) demanding that this mod be pulled from absolutely everywhere, and the raw data on the maker's computer destroyed. Lord knows valid DCMAs have done more for less (see: Nintendo and Zelda and Metroid).

This is a case where this mod Absolutely Needs the goodwill and cooperation of the rest of the community- or at least as much as it can to survive- in order to continue existing on this forum and elsewhere. The only way that's going to happen is if amends are made, and made earnestly and sincerely. That includes appealing to the people who have noted the stolen assets.

This is not a negotiation, this is probably closer to a parole agreement than anything else.

Melfius said:
    As ive already said, this isnt a bar fight.
    VC24, your argument might be valid, but please remove it, it juest keep the fight going on.

Frankly, an honest and reasonable discussion of the issues at hand is probably one of the few things that will keep this thread from disintegrating further.

Melfius said:
    Tovias, your argument is true (some modders even call their groups "studios") but you are helping the fight, and that nost correct. We are trying to act peacefully,

Yeah, because I'm oh so very sure that Heinkel has considered getting a shotgun and going to blow master_copypaster' head off over this.

Not.

This is an internet forum, not a bar. Not a gun rack. Not a war zone. And nobody has done some of the worst things you can do on the internet (such as issue actual death threats or try to destroy someone else's computer, Hell-freaking-lo EVE Online).

The chances of things not being "peaceful" are basically nil. So let's not pretend we have to artificially stomp out all contradictory opinions or arguments in order to prevent Talesworld forum from degenerating into the Second Congo War.

If anything the threat's probably in the opposite direction. Where they simply delete this entire thread altogether.

Melfius said:
    Turtler, shame, shame, shame, shame, shamex10 on you for keeping up the fight. As ive already said to the others, please remove it.

Firstly: no, I'm not going to. Because that would be pointless virtue signalling after the fact, and what is more render parts of the thread (like your reply) unintelligible).

Secondly: The idea that "keeping up the fight" or my post is meaningless is stillborn. It doesn't work. It is as valid as anybody's comment on this short of the people dealing firsthand with the assets issue (like Heinkel) or the mod itself.

And thirdly: I'm not the one using gratuitous curse words for no good reason, and thus degenerating matters even further.

Ultimately, any salvaging of this mod will have to wait for the mod's creator (such as it is). Because you can't really apologize for another person, and I don't pretend to know if anyone else has the original material they were working on.

For what it is worth, I would be more than happy to see this mod continue if the mod creator can apologize to those he took from without approval, if they remove the material they cannot get approval from (like the N&S stuff), and go on. Because again, I do think the mod is fun and honestly ground breaking in some ways.

But that doesn't mean it gets exemption from the basic rules. It doesn't mean the rules about asset use can be ignored. And it doesn't mean it will be immune to a death blow from EA if and when it gets moving.

Ultimately, it's going to come down to the Mod Dev and those that worked for him. And as an outsider without much skin in the game (since I already have the thing downloaded), I honestly have to give some kudos Pizzaman 6 for trying to make the best of a spectacularly bad situation.

I don't think they *have *made the best of a bad situation, and Mahmud pointed out some of the issues. But they've been here and they are tried. And frankly given  their reasonableness, their willingness to admit mistakes were made, and their calm manner...  that's the kind of help this mod needs right now.
  4. SP Native Modern The Parabellum (WW1 in Calradia)

VC24 said:
    God forbid you guys share your toys.

Except there's a way for people to share their "toys" if they so desire. They can put them up in the general commons where anybody can use the assets, or they can be ASKED, grant permission, and be duly credited (as they really should, because even if they don't put any work directly into a mod called "Parabellum" they have helped make it by making what goes into it). And again, it's not like the M&B Modder community is NOT used to sharing "toys", SO LONG as they are asked about it. Properly.

Again, they apparently weren't asked for their consent before doing that.

VC24 said:
    "Community" actually means "place to wave your mods ****" on this forum,

Firstly, that's a hideous distortion and strawman, taking One aspect of the modding process (the ego drive) and acting as if that is all there is because someone objects to having their work ripped off.

But frankly? Even if the black picture you painted WAS true it still wouldn't justify this kind of massive plagiarism. Because yes- surprise!- one reason modders do what they do is for the recognition and fame. Do you really think the "user rank" icon to the left is just there for show?

VC24 said:
    and for what? No one collaborates, no one shares,

Again, as someone who has been a bit of a handmaiden to two mods, that isn't true and I know it. Looking back, it is a bit of a shame BfY changed out the disclaimer (that it was originally inspired by a mod made by another plagiarist), because it would be really used to it. But again, in general the modders I've seen (admittedly as an outsider looking in) have generally been very happy to let people use their materials so long as they get duly credited. That wasn't the case here.

VC24 said:
    Yeah you guys are heroes for *****ing about meaningless media you cant be paid for,

This would be A LOT More freaking convincing if it weren't for the fact that we've already seen two paid spinoffs made by independent teams from this engine already (With Fire and Sword, and Caribbean! Blood and Gold). That is, mods or glorified mods (however glorious they may be) where people have literally been charged Money- real world money- in order to get these products. Which have often started out buggy as heck and in one case (namely WF&S) were never freaking fixed like they were said.

But the thing is, the track record has already shown that M&B mods (the "meaningless media you cant (SIC) be paid for") can in fact get you paid. So this is a bit more serious than you want to admit.

And to the best of my knowledge neither WF&S or Carib used anybody else's assets without them asking

VC24 said:
    instead of spreading your work around the community to advertise your talent. 

Firstly: you're complaining about the original content creators complaining and not "spreading their work" (in spite of the fact that they wouldn't be the ones spreading their work in this scenario, someone thought they could go by on the sly using it). But let's turn that around:

Whose fault is that Really? Who let it degenerate to the situation we see, where the content creators like Hinkel84 are on here pointing out what was lifted from their work after the fact and drawing bad press to it?

DING DING DING. Tha's right. The primary modder. Who had the CHANCE to get these people on their side before this all blew up. Who had the chance to ask for approval before releasing it. But who didn't.

You ever hear of Command Responsibility? Leadership means on some level that "everything is your fault."

VC24 said:
    Then maybe we'd actually get people to team up together to make something worth while instead of mods tagging us along for 5 years and then releasing a only a **** map pack because "Devotion to quality," "it will be done when it's done," "I'm only one man guys come on."

You act as if nobody has ever done that. As if things like The Red Wars (which Parabellum is clearly based off of) do not exist. Because apparently you have to shoehorn every single original content creator into the mold of selfish, sluggish, lazy, territorial, and unreasonable asset hog.in an attempt to justify what is really incompetence.

VC24 said:
    But instead you use this as an opportunity to go "HEY! THATS MINE! I MADE THAT! HEY EVERYBODY! YEAH EVERYBODY! I JUST WANTED EVERYONE TO KNOW THAT I MADE THIS! YES IT WAS ME AND NOT HIM! IM ACTUALLY THE COOL ONE! ME! HOW COOL RIGHT!? I DIDN'T SAY YOU COULD USE THAT! I MADE THAT AND I'M THE MODELING/TEXTURING MASTER, NOT HIM!"

**** christ guys.

Again, you wanna spam all caps and blame the people who originally made the assets for complaining?

Look who let them complain in the first place. Look at the person whose lack of foresight to get approval (or alternatively design around) made the opening of this can of worms INEVITABLE.
  5. SP Native Modern The Parabellum (WW1 in Calradia)

Shame. Shame. Shame. Shame. As someone also tied in with the Battle for Yugoslavia mod, it seems like almost all of the modern tech mods (with only a couple precious exceptions) have been rife with theft.

I found this on ModDB a while back, noticed it had been taken down and was not sure how or why. But when I saw a comment purporting to be from the developer saying they were in contact with the site and that the site had said it was a glitch or screwup on their end and they were working on fixing it..well, I guess I accepted it. So I dug up a download for the mod elsewhere and got it. Fool for me.

To the OP and "Developer" (a term I use loosely in light of the documented plagiarism involved). WHY? Just W-H-Y? Why did you feel like doing this would be of any kind of benefit to this? How did you think it would accomplish anything except permanently black marking your name and reputation and putting the entire mod under a shadow of shame? And what I find especially damning is the fact that in my experience, mod creators and devs for this game are INCREDIBLY nice and generous. More often than not, just *asking* them for permission will have them more than happy to give you it, so long as you duly note what of their stuff is being used. Heck, when Marko took over what is now the Battle for Yugoslavia mod project (an excellent endeavor that I encourage everyone to check out, by the way) from the guy who previously stole and plagarized a ton, most of the victims left in the dust by the previous sleazebag were STILL more than receptive to letting us work with their assets so long as we were public about what happened.

But no. Apparently the lazy, dishonest way had to triumph. And now we have this.

And it is a real shame. Because I feel like this mod as it is deserves some discussion about what the heck it is even though the controversy has (justly) overshadowed how it plays. Because there is a lot that this mod does right, and not all of it can be due to blatant theft.

in particular, it is a much, MUCH better depiction of full blooded, combined arms modern warfare on the M&B engine than I have ever seen previously. The artillery, the armored fighting vehicles, the machine guns, the mortars, the PLANES, they are all there and they work quite well, and whoever put them together deserves credit. Because usually what you get is a mod staff that only focuses on infantry and cavalry, which can be fitting for some settings but also results in mods that imply the Japanese didn't bring a single tank or plane into China from 1937 to 1940 (Hello WWII Battlefield China). And this is something I felt was sorely missing even from The Red Wars (though they are working on that for the next release, 1.9). Ditto with how the mods that even feature artillery- and even paid games like Caribbean!- just dump a bunch of cannons and their users right next to the infantry and horses at the start line or have them be props during sieges.

The system here works much better. And frankly it makes me wonder what could have been accomplished.

So perhaps against my better judgement, I will not be deletign this mod from my hard drive. At least not yet.  In part because I have been having too much damn fun, and I think this does integrate things much better.

But I also can't support this kind of conduct.

Shame.

Shame.

Shame!

To Hinkel84 and the other modders... I am sorry you guys were put through this.
  6. How You Can get Solid And Shade Working on Warband Today (Not a Request Thread)

Merry Christmas everybody, and to a Happy Holiday Season.

@Untitled.

Thank you for the kind reception and the support. I apologize for any bother. But more feedback is good indeed, particularly from those who look like they're read my posts.  :Sigh:

As for talking a lot about the same thing, my apologies for that. I probably can and will post about other things regarding this (lovely, gory mod); it's just that things like N0ught's concerns about the map and other commitments have made me push it down. Same with a hunt for interesting screenshots.

So I can actually understand the complaint that it is redundant. But I'm glad you find it useful anyway.

Cheers!

kabogh said:
    Alright, I tried to indirectly and kindly tell you how uninteresting your suggestion is. Nought too.

Do you even understand the meaning  of "indirectly" or "kindly"?

Your behavior at this point indicates a big N-O. And rest assured that no matter how uninteresting my suggestion is, it will always be more interesting than some more hostile and nonconstructive posts on the internet.

As for N0ught, you're conveniently overlooking this. (Emphasis Mine).

N0ught said:
    This is allowed - it just probably will never be supported. Good luck to all who manage to get this to run on Warband though. :wink:

kabogh said:
    But you persist.

Don't act so surprised. I have not seen A Single Good Reason why I should not. Especially if it only amounts to posting a link to this and some photos about how it compares.

I have cited many reasons why it might be beneficial to people and the mod for this conversion process to work. N0ught has not made any objections, and all you have brought to the table is a ton of hysterics and a logical fallacy middle school students are taught to debunk.

kabogh said:
    Let me tell you one thing, don't think you've found something extraordinary.

I didn't. Did you even read my first post?

Turtler said:
    I am not sure if anybody has done this before (I'd be really surprised if they hadn't),

kabogh said:
    Converting M&b mods to warband have been done many times using your technique and you're not the first to convert S&S to warband.

And again, I would have been surprised if people hadn't.

As I Explicitly Stated.

kabogh said:
      I can even name people from these forums who do play or did play (with proof) S&S on warband. But they didn't annoy us with it and spam walls of text about it.

A Spam Slur? Seriously?

Is "spam" another thing you don't understand the meaning of?

Well, let me put it this way. If you sincerely believed this constituted spam, it is a rules violation you are Obliged To Report.

If it isn't, you are simply being a bully and flamer.

Both of which are Very Much Against The Rules.

Turtler said:
    Secondly, if you can do it that simply, then the average joe can too,

THAT WAS THE POINT OF MY POSTING IT.

To share knowledge about how even the average joe with absolutely no modding experience could do it, and have a rough conversion of it.

Again, I explicitly mentioned this in my post. Did you not read?

Turtler said:
    so, for the sake of the community, stop the spam. Please, I beg you.

You are too late by half to start (fake) politeness now.

I do not listen to bullies, thugs, or other plagues on a community when they claim I am the one troubling the community..

Turtler said:
    Your screens are boring and uninteresting. I know how the map and the interface look like. They look the same in warband and in the original game.

Untitled. responded better than I can. That's The Point.

Like I said on one of those threads; I might post more "interesting" screencaps later. (I already have some of the Anti-Hero gear and the duel with the Alchemist formt he Tavern). But these were made purely to illustrate how.

Turtler said:
    Your walls of text are always repeating the same thing, making your text redundant to read.

This is Hypocrisy on two different levels.

For one, there has been Nothing More Redundant than reading through your uncritical flaming.

Secondly, you say my text (so far) has been redundant to read (which I concede it might be), but you made Several Dumb Mistakes that indicate you DIDN'T read it.

Turtler said:
    Sincerely, have a merry Christmas you too.

I intend to have a good Christmas (Though responding to your flaming has put a bit of a dent on it).

But I will not bother with fake kindness.

Your behavior on this thread is despicable. It is beyond justification and beneath contempt. Which is why I will report you.

And I encourage everybody else to do the same.
  7. The Legion Drum - Post Screenshots and Gameplay Videos Here

The Mountains of Madness rise from the South and West, splitting Calradia like a knife and locking the Heart Bay up like an Asylum's Bars. Terrain few would dare tread and even fewer see reason to.

Once, people talked about whirling dervishes, Sultanates built out of Spice, and a Calradia embracing the sea at many angles.  Now, in the dim of the new Dark Age people talk about how such things do not happen. How they will likely not happen again. And some speak- in the shadows, low whispers, and occasionally profane tongues- about how how they never existed in the first place.....

But perhaps the only thing people can agree about the lands of the South and West is that they are well and truly out of reach now. Like a warm, life-giving tongue locked away behind the most jagged teeth of all.

055B9FD7E88258A4BF48C2083E36BB98AB08FF44

D0DAAC0B318E58E0F9D3DD1928EC6355C9549DD3

=======================================

Sorry there's nothing exciting yet.

This is more of a proof of concept than anything else. A display of what the mod map looks like on the Warband conversion.

N0ught mentioned his issues with converting to Warband, one of which was the issue of Solid and Shade using the original M&B 1.011 maps rather than Warband's. This concern is actually unfounded; the method of conversion I use does not actually alter the map from its' M&B 1.011 original. And here is the proof.

The far South of the Map. Note the Lack of Sarranids, or even Sarranid territories.
  8. How You Can get Solid And Shade Working on Warband Today (Not a Request Thread)

Season's Greetings everyone, and Merry Christmas Eve!

N0ught said:
    This is allowed - it just probably will never be supported. Good luck to all who manage to get this to run on Warband though. :wink:

Thank you for the tolerance, N0ught.

N0ught said:
    I will likely never endorse an actual porting to Warband, however - much of Solid and Shade depends on the map from M&B 1.011, and I like the animations in the original better.

Point of order, actually:

Of the two objections, only the animation issue could actually be in play. It *might* have been retained as well in the porting, but I don't know. I would probably have to play longer and/or have a finer grasp of the differences to see.

The map isn't something this method of porting changes. So when you boot it up, it will still register using the M&B 1.011 map modified for this module. I know because I own and play both games, know what the Warband and M&B Original maps look like, what Solid and Shade's map has, and can double check on both.

One of the tell tale clues is the lack of any Sarranid turf or even where they are supposed to be. I've taken another screencap to show that the map does indeed stop with the Khergit territories, and can upload it as proof.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
    Edit: And now with Photo Proof. So that you can see how the conversion treated the map.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=362051474

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=362051541

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,130524.msg7594331.html#new                   
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              @kabough

I honestly do not know What The Heck to say. So let me put it this way as politely as I can.

A: I do have the original Mount and Blade. In fact, I didn't just get it for cheap, I got it for FREE when Good Old Games was running their advert. That's how I first started tinkering around in the wonderful world of Classic M&B Mods.

B: The process for doing this consists of shoving the module folder in the right place and moving a grand total of Three Files around.

Three *Text* Files. That are the only things preventing it from being exactly as easy as installing it in the original Mount and Blade. I know because I Have Done Both.

It is about as overcomplicated as I Am Lightweight, and you Clearly do not know what you are talking about in comparison to a modding neophyte.

C: I refuse to dignify "No True Scotsman" hogwash with my time. Please familiarize yourself with logical fallacies.

And most importantly of all;

D: I Do play it on the original Mount and Blade. Along with virtually every mod I could get my hands on for it (especially since I don't have to resort to switching between the different ones just to get them to pop up on the menu like I do in Warband).

This is important because I wouldn't know how the mod is *supposed* to work otherwise, and so wouldn't be able to comment on it like I did.  And I will probably continue playing S&S mostly on the original M&B until somebody makes a more dedicated conversion to squash any bugs. IF somebody does.

But unlike something like 1866- which as I detailed actually Is functional but massively chopped up by the conversion- Solid and Shade seems to be mostly bug free. Probably not to the same degree as I think the Astorionar series would because of how that is almost completely reshuffled Native, but certainly without a bit number of problems.

You should actually know what you are talking about before you condemn it.

And even if you did and still thought so, it's worth noting that This can help expose the mod to people who would Never Be Able To Play it Otherwise.

Sure, the original M&B is cheap you say. Agreed, that it is. But around this time of the year and especially in an economy like this, people generally have bigger fish to fry.

And if nothing else, it might give them a different vantage point* onto the mod so they could consider whether or not they would want to buy the original M&B to play mods like this, given that they don't know one way or the other. It in no way justifies this sort of stuff.

* Besides the very liberal Talesworld demos. Those would give you the full experience with a level and cheat cap, which with the ghoulie spawns would prove rather limiting. In contrast, this conversion on an unlocked Warband would give you a (somewhat) distorted experience without the level cap or the like.

So you could figure out which of the two works better, or compare between the two. And I fail to see how more informed consumers are a bad thing.
  9. The Legion Drum - Post Screenshots and Gameplay Videos Here

In a world falling apart, the Road Least Traveled is often the Highest.

What this screenshot is of is probably less important than how it was taken.

AC2C7DF5557ACB07794120FB2D9815FCD12C968F

I screencapped this on Warband using the Steam Interface.
  10. The Skin Poppet - Suggestions

I beg that you consider the Warband porting method I have detailed here, or at least tolerate it so that others may enjoy.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,321424.0.html

It uses your mod and the process Swyter mentions here http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,199809.0.html to get Solid and Shade working on Warband, at least on some level.

I take no credit for it; I just hope others can enjoy it as I have.
  11. How You Can get Solid And Shade Working on Warband Today (Not a Request Thread)

If this is not allowed, Please Tell Me. I am not sure if anybody has done this before (I'd be really surprised if they hadn't), but I figured this would be worth mentioning at least as perhaps the last "Old M&B" module still alive. Especially one that has been considering Warband conversion for...
  12. A 1866 for Warband *That Works*: A Story of Bugs and Promise

Firstoff, I can take absolutely no credit. I am not a modder, and outside of some unspeakably crude strategies to try and get incompatible mods to work I could not code or mod to save my life (at last yet). This wonderful mod was made by its' team, and the method I used was copied wholesale from...
  13. SP Tutorial Other How to get to work almost every 1.011 mod in warband — in very few steps

Sorry for the thread necro, but Why Is This Not a Sticky?

It would Massively help with modding old M&B and shifting things to Warband.
  14. SP Musket Era WFaS Enhanced Unofficial 1.86a

SendMeSmile said:
    Turtler, submod have english translation, but you can't take main quests as in original mod (only your kingdom and conquest). You can switch it to english at the main menu (when you choose module).

I'm not seeing it.

I had the language set to English by default on the module menu. I've been unzipping the English files directly into the folders and scanning the files themselves to see it. I've even tried checking my register to make sure I haven't caught some kind of mystical virus that changes one module to Russian.

None of it has worked.

I'm not sure what my problem is since it looks like I'm the only one who has it- or at least has admitted it- but I still haven't been able to buck it.

What determines the language at launch? What files in the folder detail it?
  15. SP Musket Era WFaS Enhanced Unofficial 1.86a

I downloaded this module because it looks gorgeous and seems like it has potential. However, whatever I'm looking at is definitely Not English.

That'd be fair game (after all, not everybody speaks it and we all have our own), but can you tell me how I can switch it to English? I probably know the game well enough to go more or less by memory, but I don't want to terminally screw up The Black Mace (because it's not like that doesn't happen often enough even if you do everything right...) or miss some of the new features because of it.
Back
Top Bottom