Recent content by tommyboy

1. tommyboy

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Are we nearly there yet?
  2. tommyboy

Mount Blade Bannerlord Released tomorrow - info and links

Seems legit.
    His name is bannerlorddev, so that proves it.
  3. tommyboy

Margaret Thatcher is dead

Kobrag said:
    Pillock said:
    Because I was given a ****ty "Christian" education which basically means worshiping the right wing, I know of Margaret Thatcher as some kind of conservative goddess who brought beloved and beneficial economic reform to the UK.

Could somebody enlighten me as to what she actually did? I may be a pillock but I'm not dumb enough to believe that.
    Deregulated the banks, leading to the current financial crisis. Destroyed most of our steel and coal industry, leading to us needing to supplement our needs with foreign material. Introduced the poll tax, a punitive flat tax, which was later rescinded.
    Also stole milk from children.
    You forgot legislating homophobia (clause 2:cool:, privatizing publicly owned gas, electricity, phones and water, selling off public assets at a knock down price, passing laws forbidding much effective union activity, cutting income tax for the rich to 50% of it's previous level, cutting benefits to the poor, putting in place policies which ensured at least one million people remained unemployed, switching from a Keynsian approach to a Monetarist policy, starting a war in order to win an election, beginning the back-door privatization of the NHS, instituting the fraudulent Private-Public-Initiative whereby the taxpayer underwrites private companies to lease us back what we used to own, stopping building of social (council) housing and allowing the existing stock to be bought up and thus forever removed from availability to the poor, and many many more...
  4. tommyboy

Margaret Thatcher is dead

Leifr Eiríksson said:
    party-blower.jpg

That is all.
    This, x100
  5. tommyboy

The new Subversion.

othr said:
    othr said:
    Bandits were removed by the way, except the initial spawn.

Yes, for now anyway.  I noticed they accumulated to the point where it was really slowing the game down.  Removing them allowed me to increase the amount of AI calculations.  I never though bandits were that important to anyone really :smile:

Are they?  I've always viewed them as a nuisance personally.

Especially when the freelancer mode became available.  Does anyone actually miss bandits?
    I miss bandits. They are an important part of the early game for me, a source of money and armour etc before I sign up with anyone.
    I hope that you can find some way to implement them that doesn't slow up the game too much.
  6. tommyboy

Drunk rape justified?

Selothi said:
    I'm sorry about the capslock, but I believe it necessary:

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD COULD SOMEBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME (AND FOR THE BENEFIT OF UNANIMITY AMONG THE THREAD) THE MEANING OF THE EXPRESSION "RAPE CULTURE"

'Cos I seriously don't get what anyone means by it. Is it the phenomenon of taking lightly the issue of rape and saying "Oh she deserved it" or "It's just sex" , is it the fact that it actually still happens, or what ?
    I'm going out on a limb here, but I reckon a "rape culture" might be a culture where 25% of women have been raped or have had rape attempted on them.
    ie our culture.
    Hope that clears it up a little.
  7. tommyboy

Drunk rape justified?

Tibertus said:
    You also said that 9 out of ten times the guy initiates it. However, that's a social thing where women expect to have the guy make the first move. Just because a guy makes the first move, doesn't mean a single damn thing. Further, the social ostracizing, loss of work opportunity and complete Invasion of ones privacy that comes after a sexual crime accusation, even when found not guilty is so debilitating for a man, I'd never wish that on anyone that's not guilty. It's even worse in prison, what other inmates do to people accused of sexual crimes. Really, in my own opinion I'd rather give a few sleazeballs the benefit of the doubt than wrongly accuse someone who is innocent and sentence to such a horrible punishment.
    What about the "social ostracizing, loss of work opportunity and complete Invasion of ones privacy" that women who make an accusation face?
    You think it's a walk in the park to face hostile cross-examination about your character, drinking habits and sex life in front of a room full of strangers and reporters, while the git who raped you sits smirking a few feet away? You think women would do that for fun?
    Yes there are some false allegations made. How many is something we are likely to never know. The FBI sets the level at 8%, other studies and organizations set it elsewhere.
    Bear in mind that for most studies, any allegation which does not lead to a conviction is counted as "false", even though there are many ways for an accusation to not lead to a conviction even when a rape has happened. The most common of which is that "the authorities" simply do not act on the accusation as it is what is colloquially known as "he said/she said", and prosecutors will often not pursue cases unless there is a good chance of winning. And one person's word against another's is not considered a good chance. Accusers also often repent after getting a hostile questioning from the police or others to whom they turned for help, reasoning that if they are disbelieved at this stage that a trial will be much worse. Then there are the cases where the accuser has simply waited too long for any physical evidence to play a part, or where there is none to begin with. All of these get lumped in as "false".
    Personally, I'd guess the percentage to be much lower than the FBI's figure, based on my gut level feeling that if you want to mess up some blokes life, there are easier ways to do it than sitting in a courthouse being repeatedly told that you are a lying slut, and then having that follow you around the rest of your life. And most of those other ways are less risky to the woman, and have a higher chance of success, and best of all, can be repeated.
    I imagine that there probably are some tiny amount of women malign or stupid enough to go the false accusation route, but even then, to say that it's fine for some rapists to go free just so one innocent man is protected is just breathtakingly stupid. What about the innocent women who got raped by your released rapists? What about the innocent women who they will go on to rape, encouraged by their success?
    Given the number of women who are raped or sexually assaulted, (1 in 4 have experienced rape or attempted rape, 1 in 7 have been coerced into sex), I'm happier with the idea that we throw the tiny minority of "innocent" men in with the guilty, on the grounds that 25% of women will be better protected by locking up all those accused, even the 8% who are possibly innocent.

Why this thread even exists is beyond me.
  8. tommyboy

Loss due of Tax ineffiency

I'm proposing that once a year or so you can purge your tax collection people, bringing down the "inefficiency".
    It would creep back up, and perhaps the purge would hit your relations with fiefs or lords, but lets be honest, even if the towns love me they still rob me blind, and the lords give me ****-all, monetarily.
    So for a time you'd actually get what's yours from your fiefs rather than pay to own them.
  9. tommyboy

Loss due of Tax ineffiency

As long as you add an option to periodically chop the hands off everyone in the bureaucracy and tax collection business throughout your kingdom in order to "encourage" a bit more honesty.
    It wouldn't be as bad if your lords kicked you up a portion of their "taxes" if you gift them fiefs, or if the idiots did not take insult every time anyone else gets a fief.
    As it is if you have a number of lords and take towns and castles they all grow to hate you after about 10  victories because you only gave them everything they own, instead of giving them even more.
    If you have few or no lords a bunch of abacus jockeys **** you over.
    I simply wish to kill many of them, as an example to others. Is that so wrong? (don't answer, or I'll kill you).
    It's not like I was elected, or actually need any of them.
  10. tommyboy

Elder Scrolls 5:Skyrim

It's possible the "cpu casing" in the question is referring to the actual PC case, since some people call the entire desktop box "the cpu". If so, depending on the manufacturer, there could be warranty issues with opening it (I know that sounds dumb, but I've seen it, albeit infrequently)
  11. tommyboy

The new Subversion.

Yes, my commoners keep throwing away their helms, taking only the crappiest shields and bows, and least expensive armour.
    I may have to turn off the auto upgrade till its fixed.
    They also inexplicably defy the orders as to what to carry as weapons.
    I had them all on "use 1handed, shield, bow arrows" then noticed one carrying crossbow, bolts spear and crap shield.
  12. tommyboy

General suggestions thread.

Thanks guys.
    I got the new SVN version with commoner companions, and am working my way through the tournaments.
    Am a happy wanderer.
    Ta to all involved.
  13. tommyboy

The new Subversion.

Woot!
    Commoner companions!
    Just what I was asking for, thank you.
    I'm already enjoying the game more with some companions to travel with.
  14. tommyboy

General suggestions thread.

It's probably been discussed to death, so forgive me being late to this party.
    I just updated to the latest svn, having not played any M&B or Warband for months.
    And, although I'm sort of doing Ok, got str up, got money aplenty from doing guildmaster quests, nice weapons and armour, I just cannot seem to make headway on raising my renown to a high enough level to get taken on by a faction.
    This means I have no companions, which makes the game less fun for me.
    I've done mercenary work for the pope for a while, but the fact of the matter is the opposing AI is 99 times out of a hundred clumped in a 1-2000 strong force of 10-15 lords, and my faction has maybe 5 lords, so any battles are huge massacres, and it's a little dull.
    I've tried seiging, and the few times I dont get bum-****ed by an incoming mass posse of enemy lords, the seige goes, me attack, kill 20-50 enemy, lose 10-40 men. The AI in castles seems to get reinforced quicker than I can go hire new men, so it's a stalemate, at best.
    Am I going to have to run round soloing bandit parties to get renown?
    Is there any possibility of putting some companions back in taverns for the peripatetic nomads of the world?

I should add it's still a wonderful mod, one of my faves, and one of the best, so please don't think my whining indicates ingratitude, it doesn't. It indicates my incompetence and missing my team of companions doing all the doctoring, engineering etc for me...
  15. tommyboy

New Version Released: 0.15 (January 27th 2012)

Excellent Mod, one of my favourites.
    Thanks to all involved.
Back
Top Bottom