Recent content by Rhineville

1. Rhineville

More weird lag problems

Archonsod said:
    Question is, what's changed on the system in the past few months between it being fine and it starting to lag?

Assuming you haven't mucked about with the options, quickest thing to eliminate would be something else running and eating up CPU time. Try using msconfig to do a clean boot and see if it's anything running in the background.

If that fails, check drivers. If any have been updated in the past couple of months try rolling back to a previous version and see if that solves it.

Ok, new update: I already changed the startup programs using cc cleaner, but I tried  msconfig as well just in case. I also rolled back the drivers, then updated with what I think is the proper nvidia drivers (automatically detected from the nvidia site) NOW.... every game I launch causes the computer to lock up. Within the first 30 seconds of game time, mount and blade and medieval 2 total war lock up and I'm forced to restart.

So I'm pretty freaked out right now, I backed up all of my important artwork just in case, but I'm fairly sure it's a driver problem, since it only happens during games and the driver is what I just changed. I'm not sure what to do though, rolling back does nothing....
  2. Rhineville

More weird lag problems

I'm glad to see my other thread on lag (extreme and unusual lag) is getting some attention, hopefully it'll be officially addressed. What I've come to ask help with is a more conventional case of lag, but still with a twist: I've took a break from Mount and Blade for a few months and recently...
  3. Rhineville

Looting the Villages of Enemies

I don't usually loot, but I think it affects the prosperity of the village (how much funds you get from it) and of course you can't recruit from it while it's looted. Also it reduces your relations with the village making it harder and usually impossible to gain recruits. I'm not entirely certain what affect this has on AI controlled fiefs, but I'd wager the amount of troops that's automatically generated is slowed down.
  4. Rhineville

Morale questions

As far as I know morale does not affect troops in garrisons, at least those in a garrison will not defect.

I found the normal way morale is calculated is a bit ridiculous, I mean you have to be fighting near constantly just to keep a group of people with you. I tweaked the game a bit to help out, check one of the stickied topics in the town square to see how you can also.
  5. Rhineville

Enemys suddenly harder...

Well the enemies aren't a single group of people, there are looters, sea bandits, forest bandits and mountain bandits, along with the horse-archer bandits in Khergit territory and deserters... they're bound to have different equipment. As for the people you hire, it also depends where you hire them. All Khergits have cavalry, other factions have people with shields etc... and you can always hire mercenaries in towns.
  6. Rhineville

Hi and Question about leveling up/gaining money

This is all from my experience:

What I normally do is rotate between fighting in tournaments (placing the max amount of bets) and fighting sea raiders. This keeps money flowing and skills sharp since sea raiders drop the best loot for bandits and offer more experience. Since you're getting beat up often though it sounds like you're just starting to play the game. Here is a general guide for you to get up to the "win tourneys and fight raiders" strategy:

- Get a bunch of recruits with the money you have
    - Train them up slowly. Don't go straight for sea raiders, train them on looters. Looters are the lowest level bandits and are essentially walking experience points.
    - Get them to hold ground on a hill, and then ride yourself to the enemy. Take out a few, but stay safe. The point of this is that some of them will follow you for a little bit and their line won't be solid. Your troops will be able to gang up on the few first soldiers that hit their line, instead of having to deal with the full force.
    - Go for sure wins. You never know when you could be knocked out, so attack parties that are lower in numbers or quality. Remember that if you're taken prisoner, all of your troops (except sometimes heros) are gone and you have to start again. Lost heros will show up in the taverns of nearby cities.
    - The ladder of bandits (except for the horse-archer ones) goes like this: looters, mountain bandits/forest bandits, sea raiders. Only take on sea raiders when you have a fairly professional army.
    - Join tournaments and place whatever bets you can make (you might not want to bet all the time or bet the highest amounts if money is tight) just to get the feel of them. Different areas have different tournaments (swadia has mostly jousting, nords have all foot-soldiers, Rhodoks have a mix of footsoldiers/crossbows and cavalry, vaegirs have a mix of cavalry and cavalry archers as well as foot soldiers, and khergits have all cavalry, usually skirmishers like archers)
    - If you've taken a castle, garrison your highest-tier units (like knights and Huscarls) so that they don't die in battle. this will also mean that every person in your army has experience to gain, where if a huscarl or knight kills someone they get none.
  7. Rhineville

Own village or castle.

Since you're only playing the demo, the game will end when you're level 6 (as far as I know, been a while since I've played the demo) this will probably mean you won't be able to reach a  high enough level to become a lord, since you need a certain amount of renown. You get renown by winning  battles, the harder the battle the better.

Anyways, you don't "make" a village or castle, you do have the ability to own villages, castles or towns in the game. Usually when you join a faction you're awarded a fief if you don't already own one. If you managed to take a city or castle before you joined up you probably won't receive one from the king. As for how many men to have before you seige, there's no one answer for that. It depends on the type of troops you have, the number, your leadership, money, the faction of the castle you want to take, the numbers and quality of the troops etc.

I've taken a castle before with about 70 or so troops. Make sure that you have high level troops, Huscarls are usually best.
  8. Rhineville

What can I do with a captured king and some other questions?

For companions, they're like you: they level up much more slowly than regular troops. The good thing is they can continue leveling where your troops will not, plus you can give them superior armor, weapons and horses. My companion army of 13 (used to be 16) is decked out in the best heraldic armor with heavy chargers. They can easily take 40+ sea raiders without my interference (with normal damage to them) Your companions also don't die.
  9. Rhineville

a question

Fail troll is fail.
  10. Rhineville

a question

Well that's your choice big guy.

Khergit are terrible at siege offense/defense, so if you plan on taking some land go for them I guess. Rhodoks are probably more competent in open combat as well, though the Khergit with their fast horses and archers might be more of a pain.
  11. Rhineville

Your difficulty

Max damage to me and allies, never really touched the ai button. Realistic saves. Forget what that comes to, 106?
  12. Rhineville

A question about skills

One thing to add AFAIK trainer is the only skill that draws from everyone, so anyone with a skill of trainer can contribute.
  13. Rhineville

the Kick ass things you can do On M&B a list of 1000

6. Couch your lance, leap over the front line of soldiers and knock the commanding lord unconscious as you land.
  14. Rhineville

This game is going to kill me

I'd actually recommend tweaking the game settings yourself before trying one of the mods (It's not hard, look in the zendar town square section, at the top there's a stickied thread called "magelord's tweaks." In there you'll find instructions on how to mod certain things. I have it so morale isn't much of a problem, garrisoned troops have barely any upkeep etc.) because most mods ramp up the difficulty considerably. If you're not already playing at max difficulty you might find some mods unplayable.

As for archers, I recently battled my group of 60 or so vaegir skirmishers and archers (no marksmen) against about 40 sea raiders and we destroyed them. One tip is to ride around the back of the enemy lines. If you're close enough they'll turn their shields to you and run backwards, opening up their backs to your archers. Try not to use your archers in combat. Have infantry or cavalry behind them and only order them to charge, not your archers.
  15. Rhineville

Best Weapon Combos

AWdeV said:
    Rhineville: (Do I know you from somewhere?)

Deviantart? Conceptart? elder scrolls forums?

As for getting a one-handed weapon,. I usually just switch to my 2 hander and use if for attack and defense. I only really need the shield for approaching archers. As for the poleaxe in defense, it works good if you're just off to the side of the breach supporting the main holding force. If they make it through however, then a 2 handed weapon is preferable for speed.
Back
Top Bottom