Recent content by Retrobot

1. SP Oriental Fall of the Dragon: The three kingdoms

@retrobot: I would read your post, but my eyes died twice when they saw the large block of solid text XD At the moment, we aren't becoming generals of the time, so like in native, an unknown roaming mercenary becomes really powerful etc. XD No magic alllowed in m&b and especially not in The Fall of the dragon ! XD Rotk with magic ???????????? ha ha XD, and I think adding more generals is better than keeping total historical accuracy  :twisted:
    otherwise we'd have only lame generals or we'd have to make like 4 versions of the mod to get all the famous generals in, or leave out the best generals  altogether :lol
    By limiting the timeframe we'd lose much fun! We'd never get to fight nanman if we were in the Dong zhou time frame, and it would limit the factions to two Yuan shao's forces and Dong zhou's forces. Anyway, crouton has suggested most of what you said except the total historical accuracy thin which Is not going to happen unless I get bribed  :twisted:

Yeah, sorry about that. I was up later than I should have been and just rambled on. I have a tendency to write more than I should, though I could of at least broken it down for easier reading.

Though when talking about the rise of Dong Zhou there were many more factions at play than just those you mentioned. If I remember correctly there were 12 - 18 factions at play during that time (more than any other period during the Three Kingdom saga), and the alliance between the lords against Dong Zhou failed and did not last very long. I just figured that this time frame would present the most factions and thus the most gameplay for the module.
    http://www.gamershell.com/static/streaming/14110/14110_medium.jpg
    Is from an older version of RotTK which shows a good number of factions present at the time. Anyway, best to stop here- don't want another post of my rambling on.
  2. Reign of Sword help download

Whether the links posted were a joke or not or if it had some other underlying meaning really does not matter. Maybe he was simply trying to generate interest in a few charities he supports. Maybe not. Maybe there is or is not a legit reason for doing what he has done. The simple fact is that it is his mod and his topic and he if so chooses to link his 'demo' to a few charity sites and lock the topic then so be it. If a few minutes of time got wasted in the misguide hope playing an anticipated module then no harm has really been done. Sure some people may find it disappointing while others may find it funny. You have to decide for yourself whether or not to feel slighted by this act or not. In the end only you can control how you feel about it. The way I see it there really is no great need to turn it into something it's not or to speculate on what motives may be in play. If you are really looking forward to the release of this module and truly support it, then I'm sure whatever his motives may have been, he will be forgiven. But then again, maybe not.

NOTE: Apologies if this sounded preachy or anything like that. That was not the intention. Maybe I've just been up too long and it is time for bed. Happy gaming all.
  3. SP Oriental Fall of the Dragon: The three kingdoms

As a long time Koei fan I was looking forward to someone making a mod based on Romance of The Three Kingdoms or Nobunagas Ambition. Whether you are using the book, games, or numerous television movies/shows as source material I can see potential here. Though I would have to say one of the greatest sources to be used is the RotTK game series by Koei. If you could take certain gameplay features in said games and implement them into a M&B module it would be great. I would have to say the most interesting time frame during this period would be when most of the Lords united under Yuan Shao to face the tyrant Dong Zhou. This time frame featured a good many colorful factions that would allow for creative expansion to a imaginative player. It would also allow aspiring leaders to snag up famous warriors before they had joined a faction. I just feel that this would be a good place to start. I think historical accuracy over 'adding as many famous generals as possible' would be a better route as well. You can also release 'mini expansion packs' that feature new and different scenarios ranging from the Yellow Turban Rebellion up until the fall of Wu and the founding of the Jin Dynasty. This way you can introduce new factions as well as officers, characters, etc. Another thing you could think about would be to have it where the player can assume an existing character role such as Ma Teng, Yuan Shao, Cao Cao, Sun Jian, etc. A good source is http://kongming.net/11/appearances/ that list a large list of officers and when they appeared in RotTK XI. Enough rambling for now, and I apologize. I am just a big fan of the RotTK game series by Koei. I owned and played them all (minus the ones not released in English) so I get over excited about them. On a side note, despite how horrible the DW series is (and I still play them anyway) I think it would be rather interesting to see a musou attack in action in M&B if only for a laugh. Anyway, good luck with the project.
  4. Impressions 0.8

Well I won't go into details nor repeat what has already been stated thus far. Al I can say right now is I love the fact that you guys added in a Confederate uniform for start up characters who 'fought for the Confederacy'. Now my character is complete, a lone and out man who lost more than he cares to remember after the South surrendered- making his living as a freelance gunman, getting enough coin to drown his misery away at the saloon. Anyway, great work again 1866 team.
  5. 1866 - X-Mas Release (v0.8)

Congratulations 1866 team on the new release. Having spent only a few minutes with it I can tell it has improved a good deal. Keep up the good work.
  6. 1866 - v0.7 Bug Reports

Maybe one of the mods (or anyone) could compile a list of all known bugs people have reported in this post so far (and keep it updated). This way the mod(s) can just edit/update the post with all found bugs and as well as report on the progress so people can just read it and find out if a bug has already been mentioned/fixed/being worked on. It would save a lot of time for everyone I think and you won't have people (especially later on) posting about the same bug(s). It could be something simple like:

1) Bug #1 - Fixed
    2) Bug #2 - Not Fixed
    3) Bug #3 - Etc
    4) Bug #4 - Etc
    5) Bug #5 - Etc

Just a thought.
  7. Suggestions

Okay, this is not a grand nor very important suggestion, but I would like to see a 'hat' with the cigarette or straw but that does not show the hat (if that makes any sense). This way you can get that cool "I'm smokin' and gettin' cancer but who cares 'cause I'm 'bout ta die anyway" vibe going without the need for a hat (plus your hair can be seen).

Also, dud shells. You get that vermin all lined up jurst right and click, the shell is a dud. Ah, the look on your face as that bandit or lawmen guns you down. Priceless. Might be too much of a hassle though.

Also, I don't think everything should be accessible in the town menu. Eventually people will just skip out on exploring every little part of the town and just focus on the shortcuts. Cowboys were not that lazy back then, yer know!

Recruitment posters/fliers in towns. Instead of finding a general and the like to sign you up why not have a few posters tacked up in saloons and the like. Something like this: http://aagallery.aadl.org/gallery/d/3220-2/CIVIL-WAR-RECRUITMENT.gif

Be nice if more buildings were like the saloons, allowing you to enter and exit em without the need to load up various 'scenes'. Plus just having more insides of buildings like stores and the like would be kickin.

Also maybe some more types of jobs. Working on a ranch, guarding a bank, etc. Just some thoughts.

Maybe introduce the First Transcontinental Telegraph as well? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Transcontinental_Telegraph) It might be able to serve a purpose though I have no ideas how right now.

Maybe add a few town doctors and other types around that can heal you but at a cost. Be better than using whiskey and the like? Don't know.

I think the various factions/groups should be limited on how big their armies are. Something more realistic. Maybe outlaws/bandits/lawmen factions limited to max of 50 men while the main faction armies could be 150 or so? Also I think the players army should be limited as well unless they were a part of the main faction army and had a fort/towns to warrant a big army. Solo cowboys/bandit/lawmen didn't really move around with a 50, 100, and higher troop of men.

Not sure if ranks could be added to factions, be nice for army goers though.

I think troop wages should remain somewhat as they are but instead on paying them every week, how about once a month as was the norm back then (especially in the armies).

Well that is enough for now.
  8. Texas 1866 - A few fun tidbits.

I got bored so I decided to do a little research for the fun of it. Click the spoiler belower to read a few tidbits on Texas during 1866. If I get around to it, I'll edit this topic and add some more fun stuff, if anyone finds it interesting that is.
  9. 1866 - Help Needed

I'm just wondering if you need any help with research, documentation, writing, or anything related to such areas? I'm not saying 'Hey let me help and you'll get the world'. Fact is you'd most likely end up with a picture of a model of the world. I'm just offering to help lighten the workload a bit - if at all. If it works out then great; if not then no harm done. I just want to see this mod reach its full potential with or without my meager offer of help and as long as that happens - it's all gravy.
  10. Game World (Map) References

Well I've still yet to find any decent maps of Mexico during 1866 or around that time frame. I'll keep looking though. I did find a few fort layouts that might be useful, though I don't know how much:

http://www.eg.bucknell.edu/~hyde/SanAntonio/AlamoView1214.JPG
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/57/Elizabeth_Fort_-_Map_-_1866.svg/574px-Elizabeth_Fort_-_Map_-_1866.svg.png
    http://www.portsdown-tunnels.org.uk/images/cold_war/widley_bunker/fort_widley_plan.jpg
    http://www.oflna.org/fort_lowell_museum/ftlowell.gif

Maybe some towns, like the bigger ones, should have a fort as a party of the city? Or at least very close by? Just a thought. Very irritating that I still can not find a decent Mexico map. Anyway, sorry if any of this does not interest you. I just love researching on certain topics and coming up with stuff. If all this is pointless just lemme know and I'll stop.
  11. Game World (Map) References

This was a part of my reply under the Suggestion topic but I felt it warranted a separate thread. If this is not the case then feel free to delete, lock, or move it; and I apologize. I only feel that it would help the modders to flesh out the game world more, in giving it plenty of meat and...
  12. Suggestions

This is the only mod I've played that has made me create an forum account and post. A lot of potential is to be found here. I have a few suggestions but the first I wanted to point out: I found a very useful and interactive map of the USA during 1866. Http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~4225~420055:Map-of-the-United-States-and-Territ showcases a lot of details but as far as this mod is concerned, locating Texas is the biggest thing to look at. Unfortunately it only shows the border of Mexico and no details for it, sadly. The interactive map also does not show terrain as far as color wise. This map is would be most useful for the 1866, I believe as it shows towns and forts, locations and names. Simply zoom in using your mouse wheel and scroll until you find Texas. Seeing as how 1866 seems to deal mostly with Texas and Mexico along the Rio Grande, this map should prove awe inspiring. I'll see if I can find a likewise map for Mexico as well and post it if needed or wanted. This next map, http://lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/tex_fedforts_1866.jpg, is a much more simpler map but shows Indian war trails/warpaths through Texas and into Mexico.

Now for some more or less forms of suggestions.

Towns could be governed by Mayors, regions by Governors. Forts should be ruled by military commanders.

The faction leader should be the current ruler such as the president and such for major nations, or a warchief, etc. Though the president of the USA would never directly lead the nation in Texas, it could be delegated to the regional governor or commander?

You can volunteer for military service but you are limited to a term of years, not months. If you join an army there should be army ranks and more rewards/responsibility as you get promoted. Obviously you can't just join as a regular soldier, what fun would that be? They would only accept proven leaders of men into 'temporary?' officer ranks. You would have a set pay per month that rises with every promotion or lowers with every demotion. Maybe you will be given the task to besiege said fort and take it over. If you have a good relationship, skills, and the right rank you might be able to assume commander-ship of said fort.

Army wise. No man ever lead a massive army of a hundred troops or more, not unless he was an officer in a army or a mighty influential and powerful person. I think all low tier troops should be recruitable (with exceptions) for free if you belong to a Nation/army. If you are a Captain for the Union then you should be able to get some initial troops for free and given a station to replenish supplies, etc. Of course you would have to take your monthly payments, etc to maybe pay for higher troop tiers but still. No commander in the USA army had to pay to recruit his own troops. Now, if a commander wanted to equip his troops with better equipment and the like then just maybe it came out of his own pocket? Maybe instead of paying for higher troop tiers you would in fact have to pay for better equipped soldiers? Union Regular (Basic - Free), Union Regular (Silver Star eq - $1 per soldier), Union Regular (Gold Star eq - $10 per soldier), etc? Also if you had a few infantry and wanted to make them into a calvary unit, it would cost you a pretty penny to give all your troops horses, thus turning them from Infantry Regulars to Calvary, etc?

Of course some things could and could not be done in M&B, but these are just suggestions. If you did not belong to an Nation/Army then everything would be your cost. If you was an outlaw or bounty hunter or posse, etc, it would be up to you to pay to get the soldiers, train them, equip them, etc. Of course it is very unrealistic to see a outlaw gang running around 100 strong, etc. Maybe a script where at the end of every battle loot and money won is auto divided between you and your followers? The bigger your following the less loot and money you get at the end of the raid, fight, etc?

Someone has mentioned this but being able to own property, esp a ranch, would be awesome. Maybe you wanted to give up fighting and live the quiet life? Just served two or more years in the army and retired. Now you want to go back to your homestead and just raise livestock and live the good life? Why not, you earned it.

Maybe instead of rep, leadership, etc determining the size of your party maybe try a different route? Maybe based off your military rank, if you serve, and other factors? A army colonel would be able to lead a bigger unit than a captain or lower. Also if you are a good type of person and play a sheriff or something then maybe honor would play a role. Bandits would need a notoriety factor to get more men to obey them.

Instead of properties and the like have a house or two in every big city or town. You could only own one at a time or at least live at one at a time and they would all differ. Owning a ranch would give you land and other things so you could upgrade em but owning a house would just let you store stuff and rest to get healed without needing to own the town or spending money. Also, it should not cost to rest with a party. They are getting paid regardless so it is up to them to make do with their own money with not fighting, raiding, etc.

If you are going solo, should be able to hire a coach to take you to other places, course there is always a chance that it will be attacked.

M&B is mostly a fighting game but no reason why you have to fight all the time. Sure, it's most of the fun but other venues could be added as well. Maybe buy a saloon and fix er up? A lot of room open for debate on this one.

Target practice. Not sure if this is already a part of M&B or mods, but shooting at target should increase your skill, if only slightly and maybe with luck and some random chance.

Should be able to misbehave in town and then have the sheriff come down and lock up up for a set amount of time or fined or both. Of course you could escape but then a bounty would be made on you. Of course some things would be more drastic than others, for instance, if you killed a man in town.

Various places to recruit from. Forts would offer higher tier troops or let you at least train the ones you gotten. Towns would offer townsmen or cowboys. Ranches would offer ranch hands, etc. All sorts of things could be done. If you belong to an army then you could recruit regular joes in towns but that would be at cost to you (not the ones you get from being a commander or as rewards) and thus you would have to train and equip them yourself. You also should not be able to both sign papers and then join fully a army. Either you sign up for a term or don't. Bandits and law factions would be different though. You could be hired out or join them.

All in all I think I've suggested more than enough right now. Of course some things have already been suggested, others are already being added to the mod, and others still...

Just my thoughts on the matter anyway. More to come, or not.
  13. The South Rides Again

Heh, well I guess I lucked up on all that then? Still, it was a fun experiment and suited the role just fine. Maybe I'll learn how to mod M&B some so I can play around with some of the 1866 files to see if I can tweak anything. Most likely not, but should still be good fun. I just loved the idea of 'holding out' as a former Confederate still fighting the 'good fight'. This mod has a lot of potential to take M&B in new directions. Maybe I'll use what writing skills I have and come up with my own 'scenes' and stories. Part of the fun is portraying a role, after all. I live in Georgia so I guess it's only natural I want to fight against the North on this game :smile:. Hm, maybe work out something where the towns are rules by mayors and such and only the forts have generals, etc. Like I said, a lot you could do with this mod. Keep up the work and best of luck to you all.

-Edit-
    While I loved the Civil War, I don't care much for playing such roles. There are plenty of Civil War strategy games out for that. I just loved the idea of not giving up and still fighting. Unless of course it was more from 'your perspective' that allowed you to be promoted from Lt, to Captain, etc. A good many groups did not accept the decision of the South to surrender and fought bitterly on. That is what I was going after. :wink:
  14. The South Rides Again

I've been playing this mod and I have to say I rather quite like it so far. There are a few issues but with it being a beta that much is to be expected. I was toying around with this mod earlier and with the help of cheats (Shameful, I know) I was able to make my own faction in game. I gave...
Back
Top Bottom