Recent content by PatCronz

1. PatCronz

AAR - The Hand of God

EdgeofThorns said:
    I like how you're doing the screenshots, but I really wish M&B had pose mods like Elder Scrolls and Fallout.  Two characters just staring at each other makes for an unnatural looking conversation.

Yeah, it's a drawback. I try to wait for the precise moment where the characters are actually even making eye contact. It's difficult, but it can work.

Lady Raubrey said:
    I'm not an avid reader of AARs, but this one caught my attention. The effort put forth in the formatting and screenshots alone is worthy of praise. I've written a novella myself, and not sure in what manner I will publish it, but thank you for the inspiration -- as I am lost in screenshots a bit frustrated. Regards.

Thank you very much. I wasn't sure where to start, but I found a way that worked!  :grin:
  2. PatCronz

AAR - The Hand of God

4.1 - A New Home

Following the grant of Mawiti, Cronis made haste to settle down at the new village. While the fighting had been fierce and he had served aptly, Benedictus began to show his age, and, rather than attempt to try to fight now the Rhodoks, set forth towards Mawiti. There, his son Patroclus was waiting, surveying the damage of the ruined town. In their correspondence, Patroclus had mentioned to his father that various scholarly efforts on his part suggested new ways to manage the village, methods unused by his fellow Emirs. Patroclus did not elaborate. Benedictus would hopefully find out in person. He was offered, in the meanwhile, a ransom by the Khergit Khanate for the noble Marmun, a hefty 3,100 gold, which he accepted. On the way to the village, however, near Ahmerrad, Cronis encountered another Khergit noble with few soldiers and supplies - Darga Nasugei.

While Cronis sought to avoid continued violence, he knew he could not let Nasugei escape, considering he threatened Sarranid farmers and villagers. Giving chase, the party chased Nasugei throughout the evening, finally finding them in the desert near midnight. A short skirmish resulted in victory for Cronis and his army. Nasugei escaped, but his soldiers killed the entire Khergit force while losing only two. The army continued to gain experience, with some of the encouragable young men from the Swadian villages at the beginning of Cronis's journey now becoming men at arms. Victory continued to follow Benedictus.

Cronis continued across country with his party for some time, eventually making camp at Ahmerrad. While Mawiti could be reached, the village was simply unsuitable for occupation. Patroclus was there, overseeing reconstruction, with the new funds from the ransom from the Khergits providing much of the capital. The elder Cronis gained further funds by ransoming his captive Khergit soldiers for about 1,500 gold pieces, a hefty sum.

Recruiting more young soldiers from Sarranid villages, Cronis left wealthy and tall Ahmerrad for a more humble abode, Samarra Castle, located close to Mawiti. There, he could more easily meet with his son and continue to coordinate rebuilding efforts. Entering the castle one day was his son - the vaunted, the young, the intellectual Patroclus Cronis, who presented everything that Benedictus was not. Patroclus told his father of several things he learned while at the court of the Sultan. Perhaps a dozen or so years prior, learned men of the Sultanate traveled about, studying how taxation and prosperity were related. They reported back to the Sultan a stunning result, one that was suppressed - high taxes by nobles stifled prosperity. Cronis thought it interesting, but knew little about governance or management, and told his son that he would be placed in charge of the finances his father's domains. The two men continued to wait as the village underwent reconstruction. News came from afar - Narra was at risk, which had pushed the Sultan to enter into a peace with the weakened Khan. The lengthy Sarranid-Khergit War was over, with the Sarranids indisputably the victor. To keep busy and to enhance the rebuilding effort, Cronis began to patrol around Mawiti, fighting groups of bandits as he found them.

Cronis continued to do these things - Mawiti, for better or worse, was now a new "child", and it had to be restored and protected. His fortunes would ride on it.
  3. PatCronz

AAR - The Hand of God

Thane_of_Dhirim said:
    PatCronz said:
    Again assuming that Christian/Islamic antagonism doesn't exist or is subdued in Calradia (very possible, considering that other lords regularly join and leave the Sultanate depending upon how the other factions do), it's likely that Cronis's reputation wouldn't be damaged by associating with Sultan Hakim. Remember - while your proposition might be true in 1257 A.D. Europe, this is Calradia. Religious antagonism seems minimized at best, and Cronis (aside from his banner of a foreign Saint), has made very little statement regarding his faith. Additionally, the Sultanate forms alliances with other states, which also lends to the idea that there isn't too much religious friction.

You don't get it, don't you?!
    First of all, I didn't said that Christian/Islamic antagonism exist in Calradia ( it is not even stated of which religion they are)...
    But I want to say that you make of your main character a Christian ( and in that period of 1257 AD, he should hate all other religions, not joining some sort-of-Islamists as their vassal)...  :neutral:
    So you made a mistake! Maybe Cronis's reputation wouldn't be damaged by associating with Sultan Hakim in story, but it would be in the eyes of the readers.
    So just delete the mention of Christianity in your AAr, but leave ( if neccesary) the idea of God. :smile:

You're making assumptions about the nature of Cronis's character, the nature of Urcean Christianity, and the nature of Christo-Islamic relations within the fictional world, which are based upon real life historical progressions. What I don't understand, however, is coming to my AAR and telling me that I've made a mistake, that I'm wrong, when really this is entirely my creative vision. If the antagonism doesn't exist, it won't be a problem, and that's really that. I don't see a problem with that.
  4. PatCronz

AAR - The Hand of God

Thane_of_Dhirim said:
    Yes, but Christians didn't respected the other religions during the Middle ages ( especially during that time - Crusader wars)...
    They were trying to exterminate or baptize pagans ( and opposite), so Cronis is presented as a betrayer of Christ in your AAR.  :neutral:

If you already decided to join to Sultanate, then you should to edit your previous chapters . ( Leave the element of religion if neccesary, but don't state of which religion particularly is Cronis ). :smile:

Again assuming that Christian/Islamic antagonism doesn't exist or is subdued in Calradia (very possible, considering that other lords regularly join and leave the Sultanate depending upon how the other factions do), it's likely that Cronis's reputation wouldn't be damaged by associating with Sultan Hakim. Remember - while your proposition might be true in 1257 A.D. Europe, this is Calradia. Religious antagonism seems minimized at best, and Cronis (aside from his banner of a foreign Saint), has made very little statement regarding his faith. Additionally, the Sultanate forms alliances with other states, which also lends to the idea that there isn't too much religious friction.
  5. PatCronz

AAR - The Hand of God

Thane_of_Dhirim said:
    I'm sorry but it does not make sense  :eek: . You created your AAR with ( unnecessary ) religion elements and then made him to join a Sultanate ( figuratively the greatest enemies of Christianity in the Middle age).  :roll:

If you already started with Christian elements, then you should follow your story in that way.

The religious elements are more of a portent for later elements. While I had considered that the Sultanate could perhaps be non-Christian, I decided it wouldn't be too much of an issue, considering that religion partisanship seems to be non-existent, and lines are more political than religious, akin to what developed in Europe in the 17th century. Cronis isn't necessarily trying to advance Christianity, but rather simply meet his destiny, which he doesn't yet understand. The Christian elements are entirely personal and immaterial to the world around him - it's never even explicitly stated what the faith of the Calradians is, though for the purposes of this I assumed that they are secularist Christians of some kind, save the Sultanate.
  6. PatCronz

AAR - The Hand of God

3.4. - A Push?

With the resounding victory over the Khergit Khanate at Ahmerrad, many within the Sarranid Sultanate, both in the ranks of the military nobility but also among the people, called for a push back at the Khergits that could perhaps enrich the dominion and win the war. Cronis was no different; still tired of loss, he sought to push on with the victory at Ahmerrad and perhaps push west, towards Narra. However, no initial order came from above, so Cronis began to instead patrol the countryside and recruit more soldiers for the cause. Entering Tamnuh at night, the town at first received him unenthusiastically. Failing to even find the village elder, Cronis took a ladder to a local home and stood atop it, calling out to the people of the town.

He began to tout the victory at Ahmerrad, the strength of the Sarranid people, and the atrocities he had witnessed at neighboring villages by the Khergit. The people began to gather, and by the end, they committed what little they had to the war. While the town had been heavily recruited from and taxed, they gave Cronis all they had to give - six boys who had just reached farming age. He left the town, graciously thanking them for this contribution. Rumors spread of this foreign noble who made himself "taller than life" to inspire the peasantry. Most loved it, while some of the nobility dismissed it. After resupplying in Durquba, word came down - Narra was under siege, by largely the same force that had defended Ahmerrad. Cronis made for Narra at once, and met with the siege commander - Quadi-consensio Mundhalir, the same commander who had lead the troops at Ahmerrad.

The Marshall reassured the Urcean Noble - the defenders of Narra numbered at about three or so hundred, while the Sarranid force numbered more than seven hundred. Cronis felt reassured - Ahmerrad and now Narra could potentially cement his status within the Sultanate, even leading to joining the nobility. He assured the Marshall that his forces would be "the first the to the wall and the first over". The besieging forces lay in wait, and no aid for the city came - no reinforcements dared pass the siege camp. The siege soon began.

Benedictus stood before the double layered wall at Narra, when it all became real for him. No longer was he a comfortable noble - he had staked his fortunes and his life in a foreign land. Before him, young men of the Sultanate fought to get to the second wall, avoiding the deadly arrows of the Khergit archers above. Cronis and his men became inspired as they saw Sultan Hakim himself lead the charge over the wall. While the Sultan and some of his cohort were eventually wounded and needed to be carried off to the side, the fight continued as the Marshall lead the forces into battle with Cronis.

Charging up the wall with the Marshall, Benedictus avoided the "bloodlust" he had entered at Ahmerrad, instead fighting valiantly and consciously, putting many Khergit soldiers to the sword as Sarranid forces established a foothold within the walls. While descending the stairs, Cronis fell, but this managed to end in his favor - he flanked the raw reserve Khergit forces, allowing him to gain allied forces an upper hand,  and he did just that. Covered in blood and weakened, Cronis retreated to the top of the wall and viewed below as Sarranid troops cut down Khergit peasant soldiers like chaff of wheat. He saw the last remaining forces scatter into the streets, and saw Sarranid troops celebrating. All in all, his personal forces had only lost one man, for which he was thankful. After the battle, he approached Sultan Hakim, who was leaving for other matters...

Not only did Hakim thank Cronis personally by giving him various arms and armor for him and his company, as well as access to recruit the prisoners freed from Narra, but he was also willing to hear Benedictus's requests. Cronis had the opportunity now to ask to swear his sword in fealty to the Sultan, and he asked just that. The Sultan considered it; while Cronis was a foreigner, he was both a steady sword and a competent commander. He said the words to Cronis, which he repeated firmly; "I swear homage to you as lawful ruler of the Sarranid Sultanate. I will remain your loyal and devoted man so long as my breath remains, and I will be at your side should you need my sword against your enemies. Finally, I will uphold your claims and those of your lawful heirs". With that, Cronis took a knee to the Sultan in his tent outside Narra, and the Sultan conferred upon him titles of nobility and the fief of Mawiti, a village outside Ahmerrad.

After becoming lord of Mawiti, Cronis fitted himself and his companions in their new equipment, given by the Sultan. Ymira, who viewed Cronis now as a father figure and valiantly fought along side him at Narra, had been named by Cronis as the Thane of his domains.  No sooner had they adjusted to their new situation did news come from the Sultan himself.

The Rhodoks had declared war on the Sultanate.
  7. PatCronz

AAR - The Hand of God

Bruce  Almighty said:
    You dont have to make them every three seconds, at least I do make them every two minutes... It does helps you a lot when you write a new chapter after all.

It wouldn't be a problem, save M&B runs awful on my desktop and I used to have a laptop in a dock - I'm waiting to get my keyboard, mouse, et cetera, back, so I can start doing this again.

I have grander story elements down the road. As I said, sometimes it's a little hard to get enthused, since the best that is yet to come is still somewhat far! :razz:
  8. PatCronz

AAR - The Hand of God

Bruce  Almighty said:
    Well then, I can't wait for the new chapter...
    It's been quite a lot time you last updated your aar.

I just need to try and wrap my head around it. It's hard to get enthused about it when, during play, I have to stop any take screens every three seconds! :razz:
  9. PatCronz

AAR - The Hand of God

Not dead. Just really haven't had a chance to play Mount and Blade that often. Also, for awhile I was without Photoshop, which rendered a lot of my screenshot capturing time consuming and annoying.

Not to worry. With luck I'll publish some more soon. Just wish I could get the story rolling towards what I'd like quicker, but I guess the journey might end up being as rewarding as the ending.
  10. PatCronz

AAR - The Hand of God

Bruce  Almighty said:
    PatCronz said:
    Apologies again for the lack of updates, as I've been working on a new mod for another wonderful Paradox game, Europa Universalis III, which I hope will be out shortly. Thanks for the encouragement! Really keeps me going!

So, you're playing EU3 as well... Nice, u have an arr?

No, just working hard to put together this alternate history mod. I love EU3 but I don't think I could really do an AAR for it.

Apologies again. Be assured that this AAR is not dead by any stretch, I consider story elements for it daily, just working on this other project.
  11. PatCronz

AAR - The Hand of God

Apologies again for the lack of updates, as I've been working on a new mod for another wonderful Paradox game, Europa Universalis III, which I hope will be out shortly. Thanks for the encouragement! Really keeps me going!
  12. PatCronz

AAR - The Hand of God

3.3 - Turning Tables

The Khergit Khanate had launched yet another major war, and now Benedictus was on the receiving end of that, along with his Sarranid employers. Benedictus found himself entirely fed up, fed up with the lack of success, fed up with the lack of recognition and his lack of a fief. He was failing himself and his God. He needed more men, and more experienced men on top of that. With a lack of denars, Cronis decided to launch a campaign to have men join his company without paying. First traveling to Amashke, six local villagers were persuaded to join, and soon enough, Benedictus was called by the Marshall of the Sultanate to join him in the siege of Ahmerrad, which had fallen to the Khergits after a prolonged siege. On the way to the ancient Sarranid city, he witnessed a great destruction, not seen since his early campaigns in Swadia. Many of the villages on both sides had been burned and destroyed. Cronis arrived outside the city. The Sarranids, under their Marshall, Quadi Mundhalir, were now endeavoring to take back what was once theirs.

sarranidmarshall.png

"Greetings, Cronis; I have long waited this meeting", said the Marshall. "Wait in my company for some time and do as I ask, and your career in our Most Glorious Sultanate will be long and fruitful. Your exploits in this land have been long whispered, but not shouted. You and I shall come to work together", encourages the Marshall, which Cronis appreciated. Heading east to recruit two more men from Aab, word came that the battle had begun. Cronis and his party rushed back to the city, and joined the siege camp of the Sarranid troops. Cronis and his men observed the ancient walls from afar at the siege camp, but before long, they were to face them up close...

wallsofahmerrad.png

In this battle, Benedictus would not lead from behind nor trust his men in the hands of other generals. No, his frustration lead him on and forward, up the ladders of Ahmerrad and hopefully into the heart of the city, where he himself could claim glory for himself and for God. Taking glancing blows from arrows of the Khergits, he charged onward, now being splattered with the blood of the fallen around him, which shook him, but he had to move forward. He led a good deal of men up the ladder and onto the wall, the blood-stained Urcean noble serving as an inspiration to his men and the others around him.

cronisontheladder.png

Reaching the wall, the noble found himself behind a horde of men from both sides, exchanging blows and not moving. In a maneuver unfit for his age, he first hopped atop one of the battlements on the wall, and then behind the crowd, with several Khergit backs exposed to him. His impatience and lack of victory so far had driven him nearly mad with blood-lust on this particular day, betraying his usually calm, collected, and kind demeanor. Continuing to lead, Benedictus would later recall that the latter portions of the Siege of Ahmerrad were beyond his memory; the old Urcean noble simply blacked out. Memory or none, Cronis went down the stairs and led some of his men head on into the Khergit horde below. Now drenched in the blood of friend and foe, the old noble, who had never fought so fiercely in his life, looked to the Khergits as if the devil himself had stepped out of hell just to drive them from the city.

leadingthecharge.png

Ymira, present at the fighting, genuinely feared for her older friend; she had never seen him this fierce nor this reckless, and could barely identify the Urcean noble, as his actions during the Siege were so uncharacteristic and so unlike him. Still, he fought on, a restless juggernaut for the Sarranid cause during the siege. The fighting continued and so did Cronis, laying down any Khergit that stood in his way. The fighting ended, the city in Sarranid hands, and the Urcean noble finally collapsed.

When Cronis awoke, he found himself in camp with his men, of which eleven had died in the fighting but the other had grown in experience, being tended to by Ymira, who had just completed pulling an arrow from the thigh of the aged noble. Cronis had no recollection, but Ymira recounted to him the tales of the bravery of the Urcean, who had apparently killed fourteen Khergits single-handedly and had injured dozens of others.

tendedtobyymira.png

Attributing his victory and actions to the Holy Spirit, he said several prayers and the party continued on its way, once more seeking to replenish its number. Traveling to Fishara and Iqbayl, four new Sarranid recruits joined the ranks of Benedictus's party, and the party as a whole then departed, across the lengthy desert, back north-west in order to further find villages with willing men and looking for further fights.

Benedictus Cronis was pleased. He had found that the tables had turned, and he felt like a conqueror, and not the conquered. He needed a seasoned group of soldiers, and, slowly enough, they were developing.
  13. PatCronz

What are the best troops for sieging castles?

smothdude said:
    PatCronz said:
    I mix Huscarls w/ Vaegir guards for profit
    You need some ranged bro!

I find ranged siege units most effective versus Nord cities, as they use double walls for some cities. Otherwise my Huscarls and Guards do fine.

(They get slaughtered in those Nordic sieges)
  14. PatCronz

What are the best troops for sieging castles?

I mix Huscarls w/ Vaegir guards for profit
  15. PatCronz

AAR - The Hand of God

Hey all - just letting you know I'm taking my Easter weekend, thus the no posts! Will be up and running again tomorrow night most likely! Looking into some M&B stuff
Back
Top Bottom