Recent content by Mkhedari

1. What do you think is the best weapon in the game?

I've only had one playthrough in which I used a sword when not in a lord's service as a common soldier or a samurai.  That was during my Emishi playthrough, when I figured that the warabite-to was the closest I was going to get to an Emishi sword.  Other than that, guns, bows, yaris, kanabos, and naginatas are always my weapons.  I once had a playthrough as a samurai on foot where I told myself I'd focus on using katanas and tachis for their speed and style, but what did I do?  Stick with a naginata the moment I got it.
  2. What do you think is the best weapon in the game?

Now, I don't have Sugoroku, but I'd have to say the Masterwork War Yumi dominates.  Sure, you have to spend a huge amount of  precious attribute and skill points just to be able to use it, but once you get there, and you have high archery proficiency and ceremonial arrows, you will always kill an enemy with one or two hits, at any range, through any armor.  If you have two large bags of ceremonial arrows, that's sixty-four shots.  You won't be able to have as great an army as you would if you invested points in other skills, but you will become the god of war.

If you're unwilling to sacrifice that many points, then some kind of kanabo/tetsubo is excellent.  Armor-smashing, block-crushing, freakishly powerful, and able to net you some captives.  I favor the Balanced Practice Kanabo because it's the fastest club, has no strength requirement, and can still crush through blocks and do a lot of damage.

The katakama yari in older versions of Gekokujo was excellent since it was a quick, hard-hitting spear with good reach and a fearsome, armor-piercing swing.  Now it can't swing.

Naginatas are also pretty fearsome.  Long reach and a frightening cutting ability that somehow gets through heavy armor.  I always target naginata-armed enemies first, since I've noticed they have a tendency to carve up my armies when they close.
  3. Gekokujo: Submods (Announce, Release, Comment, and Suggest)

PPQ_Purple said:
    I am no good at coding scenes. All I can do at this point is dialogue and the various unit/item rebalancing that the other submod does better than I ever could. But if you are interested in throwing ideas at me I am open to you suggesting stuff that matches my focus area.

Basically what I am working on is making companion ministers a bit more lively. The end goal, is twofold.
    1. Make the generic guy from local nobility minister into a fully fledged character that can do everything companions can and has a personality.
    2. Give companion ministers unique conversation texts to make them more flavorful and to give you an actual reason to pick them over the default minister.

So far, I have completed #1 and gotten stuck on ideas for #2.
    PPQ_Purple said:
    I actually like them that way. Each of them has a distinct flavor that we can play off for maximum effect.

Here is what I have on them so far collected from the game and my own analysis of what dialogue they have.

NameBackground/Personality notesUnique Power
    KojiroFootsoldier turned independent.
    Wants to abolish leveeing troops and swords!!
    ???
    YoumuSamurai girl out to learn the ways of the world.
    Rule by warriors for warriors…
    Relatively young and inexperienced.
    ???
    WilliamEnglish ship builder.
    Wants to open Japan to foreign trade.
    Make a note of fellow survivors.
    ???
    GonnosukeReal? Fake? Sword master.
    Is not above fabricating ancestors.
    ???
    MeilingChinese trader girl. (note, foreigner)
    Will trade with China.
    ???
    TojikoA high status girl close to the imperial family as an administrator.
    She definitively has Imperial ambitions for the player character.
    No clear idea but ideally something that ties into the administrative past. So maybe a bonus to tax efficiency or something.
    MusashiSamurai with no proper sense of proper honor and etiquette.
    Wants to dispense with the nobility and rule through direct samurai force.
    I am leaning toward him giving a flat monthly relationship bonus with martial lords on account of them liking his "reforms".
    FranciscoChristian priests and missionary.
    Wants to convert Japan to Christianity.
    The whole Christianity angle is too good not to use. But frankly I have no idea how to implement something interesting out of it.
    NagakoGirl with noble roots and a good upbringing. Will make an excellent minister.
    Comes with personal rivalries and baggage.
    Is loyal to the emperor and not shoguns.
    Again, I am not sure what to make of this. Ideally I'd want something that ties into her pas baggage
    GoemonA peasant turned town laborer who got on the bad side of some samurai.
    Wants to let anyone, even peasants appeal to the ruler directly.
    Again, not quite sure what to do with this one.
    MariA petty farmer turned horse thief (or not).
    Dislikes the idea of Samurai killing people on a whim.
    Has connections with priests.
    ???
    HoshiBudhist monk with possible Ikki connections.
    Pragmatic, does not care about tradition.
    ???
    TeruyoWondering minstrel, likes traveling.???
    Sessai2nd son of a noble turned monk.
    Loves discipline and might appear to be a bully.
    No one should rule unless they can take it by force.
    Again another candidate for some sort of bonus with warlike lords. Not sure though...
    YoshioEx samurai due to a bad duel.
    Values honor over bloodlines.
    Maybe some sort of bonus with honorable lords?
    HyogonosukeSamurai with a love for dueling. Far too much of it!
    His loyalty/recruitment drive quest paints him as a schemer. That brings us to his special power.
    Basically, I always thought that diplomacy is a bit of a cheat in that it gives you a hell of a lot of info about lords, both local and foreign from your NPC's just with one click. Where as in the vanilla game you had to send people to spy and risk them getting caught and all that.

So I have decided to remove those options from the default diplomacy ministers and move them to only be available as a special thing if you pick Hyogonosuke as your minister. Without him you have to spy the old fashioned way.
    YeosongKorean nobleman.
    Really dislikes the Chinese.
    Should be happy to administrate. And probably quite good at it.
    Again, probably some sort of administrative bonus unless one of you can help me mod in an invasion of Korea.  :razz:
    MandukhaiMongol girl (foreigner!) traveler.
    Will dislike sitting around in court.
    Strong, independent woman.
    Her special power I have already codded. She has the ability to recruit female troops in the same way fort commanders do. In the vanilla game this is cool. In everyone's favorite submod it's even more cool because you can't get them otherwise. Also because the version I am using for my custom build right now has the female troop tree expanded to bring back the horse archers as an alternate elite unit.
    GeorgeTime traveler with modern sensibilities.???
    ShihPirate queen. Knows how to run things but may be strained with the etiquette.
    Wants to conquer america.
    Being who she is I figured she'd have contacts in the underworld and such. Thus I have coded a special power for her that enables her to, when acting as a minister conduct basic diplomacy with the NPC bandits. In practice this means your realm can make peace with the bandits and thus avoid all attacks (lords won't attack them, they won't raid caravans, all the good stuff) or declare war on them again at will.

The decision is 100% up to you and done with a simple relationship change. They do not have any say in the matter.
    EnriqueFilipino (and possibly cannibal) with a dislike for the Spanish.No idea. None at all.
    IsosangematEzo girl that wants to keep the Samurai from raiding her lands.Ideally my long term dream is to figure out how to add cities and scenes and stuff and do some epic expansion on the Ezo lands. But that's like in version 1000 and I am not even in 0.000001 alpha.
    Companions recruited from forts.Remote access to the fort resources and recruitment of their origin.

If you want to help out follow the quote link, read the discussion and than chime in with your own ideas. Feel free to suggest stuff or just quote the table and add your own ideas.
    Kojiro power: Recruitment from villages is decreased but the recruits are at a higher level.

Goemon: improved relations with villages, reduced bandit spawn (since commoners would be happier and less desperate).  Possibly reduced relations with lords with certain personalities.

Isosangemat:  Hoo, boy.  Brace yourself for a post I made a while ago:

Mkhedari said:
    And now for a bunch of extremely unlikely but cool ideas.

A submod set in the Thirty-Eight Years' War would be cool.  Japan was a very different place in the 8th century, and it would be glorious to repel the Wajin from the land of the Emishi.

But that's unlikely.  It would be easier to just expand some of the options for a would-be Ainu player who would unify his people and retake Ezo and the north.  I love how this mod not only recognizes the Ainus' existence, but also represents them pretty well, even though they're not at all major players and most people have never heard of them.  And I like how Isonsangemat dreams of rebuilding the Emishi.  But so far in my Emishi playthrough, I'm finding it impossible to fulfill our mutual dream because the Ainu are not warriors and because there's no way to establish an Ainu/Emishi state with Ainu lords and units. 

With that goal in mind, it would be great if there were some way to create a simple fort with a village near Otasut and Niputay.  1257 AD gives you the ability to construct not only a regional manor from villages but also a castle from a village.  Once you've built a manor house (not a regional manor) in your village, you can spend 45,000 or 50,000 denars to build a castle.  It appears near your village, and your village is now attached to it.  To compensate the castle or town that your village used to be attached to, another village appears.  For game balance you can only build one such castle per game.  Gekokujo could do the same, and let you pay the chiefs of Otasut and Niputay to have a simple Ainu fort (called a chasi)with a village near each of them, or maybe just one of them.  The chasi would be a simple affair with some earthen mounds, wooden palisades, and a small moat.  Not much, but it's a start.  The chasi and their villages would be classified as belonging to the new Ainu culture in game terms, and would allow you to recruit Ainu units.  However, these units should be able to level up like the Japanese units so that they can eventually be able to fight and not die instantly. 

In another crazy idea, regional manors could have a sort of colonization scheme.  In 1257AD, the regional manors have population numbers.  The higher the number, the more people walk around in it, the more taxes they pay you (it's still not much) and the larger the manorial army you can raise.  Manorial armies are raised by talking to the local constable and telling him to raise an army.  It follows you around and fights on your side, and can be up to 200 or 300 men, I think, but you have to pay the extra upkeep costs or the army will disband or attack (never happened to me, since I always can pay).  The manor's population can get up to about 1,050 before it levels off.  Raising an army will drop both the manor's population and its prosperity.  Both will recover over time at a rate determined by the manor's tax rate.

What I'm suggesting is some sort of system in which manors' populations, once they exceed 1,000, can be transferred to another fief you own to increase its prosperity and change its culture to the one of your manor.  For example, if I had a manor of over 1,000 people near Otasut's castle's village, and I owned, say, the village on the southern tip of Ezo (Hakodate?), I could do a population transfer.  The manor's population would drop to a very low number, Hakodate would see increased prosperity, and I could recruit Ainu units there instead of Japanese.  However, there might be a battle against the enraged villagers first, and I'd take a relations hit with some of the Japanese factions and lords.  On the flip side, you could do this to the Ainu villages, too, like some sort of proto-Kaitakushi.  Or even just transfer people from your manor to your village or some other Japanese place you own to increase prosperity.  And maybe if you did Ainu transfers to northern Japan, you could recruit Emishi horse archers and make Isonsangemat proud!  Villages could cost 1,000 pop, castles 2,000, and towns 3,000 to convert cultures.  Since you can only have one such regional manor per game, and since it takes a while to get the population back up, you couldn't do this too often.  Like most of the other ideas for this submod, they're mostly for that bizarre kind of player with specific tastes, like me.

Proper Ainu faces and hair/beard styles would be nice, though they're acceptable now.  Maybe there could be some Ainu woman faces with the tattooed mustaches, though I wouldn't be keen to court them.  All Ainu units should have massive beards, and the Ezo bow should be a renamed short bow from Warband.  A new set of arrows with their own quiver would be a nice touch but unnecessary.  One of the Ezo outfits, the green one, is actually a lamellar coat.  It could be renamed "Ezo Armor" and given appropriate stats, and a few similar outfits added.  The emush and the warabite-to could be given new hilts and scabbards in the Ainu style.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=47694&stc=1

Aterui shall have his revenge!  :twisted:

Also, I'm dying for some good mempo with mustaches and teeth.  They give the wearer a hell of a war face.  There ought to be gold-colored helmets, tekko, and suneate to go with the gold-colored Nanban armor.  Combining tsubo suneate with jinbaori would be good, too, as would kogake (foot armor).

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4d/K%C3%B4gake_armored_tabi.JPG

4. Gekokujo: Bugs and Suggestions

With 3.0, the game prevents me from having more than one neutral fort.  After capturing my second, it now tells me that I have enough Leadership for 3 forts, but currently own 3,750!  So I'm forced to burn them all down.
  5. Spear thrust on horseback

KhivalrousBear said:
    You know, you can always use morgh's editor to change the items. So you can modify the three types of katakama yari to be able to swing on horseback (and on foot of course).
    I could do that if I got it to work.  But I don't think there are any mods that use the 2h spear animations on horseback.
  6. Gekokujo II?

I'm most in favor of adding Korea, Manchuria, and part of China.  Though the  Thirty-Eight Years' War would be fun, too--but what can I say, I'm a big fan of the Emishi.
  7. Spear thrust on horseback

I downloaded the patch so I could thrust from horseback.  But apparently that also means I can no longer use my Katakama Yari for swinging at all, even on foot.  I really wish we could get two-handed polearm animations and be able to do an overhead thrust, standard thrust, and left and right swings from horseback or on foot.
  8. Bandit Hideouts

Do you know for sure it's in the Balkans? 

If yes, get a companion who's good at spotting and tracking.  Spot some bandits in the distance, but don't get too close or you'll spook them.  Follow them around at a distance until their party starts traveling.  If you mouse over them, it'll just say "Traveling," not patrolling or anything else.  That means they're headed straight for their hideout. 

You'll need your companion to be good at both spotting and tracking because spotting will let you see them before they see you, and tracking will let you follow them even when they're out of sight. 
  9. A point about cattle stealing VS raiding

Am I the only one who generally can't bear to raid villages?  Sure, every now and then I'll do it out of desperation or role-playing or anger at the faction that owns them, but that's the exception.  I make most of my money off of bandit hunting and loot taken from defeated armies.
  10. Just Realized

Tungdil Goldhand said:
    ctrl+leftMB upgrades all of your troops at once. I always thought ctrl was just for cheats.
    Wait, what?  I never knew that, thanks!

Now, if only there were some way to drag units and companions up or down in the party list so you don't have to click a million times to get a single unit from the bottom to the top.
  11. Crossbow or bow?

Crossbows have no skill requirement, can be kept spanned and ready to shoot, and can sometimes punch through shields.  Bows shoot more quickly, can be used from horseback, and get absolutely lethal at higher levels of proficiency and Power Draw.  If you want to play a character who doesn't get directly involved in much combat, or who focuses on melee combat, pick the crossbow.  If you want to be as deadly as possible, pick the bow.

Being an archer demands a lot of sacrifices.  To get really deadly, you'll need high PD, which requires high STR.  All those STR points are points you could've spent on INT or CHA, which are invaluable as a commander.  To be a deadly horse archer, you'll need to spend tons of points on STR, AGI, PD, Riding, and HA.  The result is that you're missing out on chances to be a great leader, but you can become the world's deadliest warrior.  When I'm a maxed-out archer or horse archer, I regularly kill dozens of enemies per battle single-handedly.  Sieges are even better.
  12. Favourite/Best Castle to start your own faction from scratch from?

I remember that Grunwalder Castle is hell on earth to take.  If you can somehow get it in the first place, you will have a hard time losing it, especially with Rhodok sharpshooters and sergeants guarding it.
  13. Bellum Imperii: Suggestions

Glad to see a Roman mod that finally includes the Parthians!  I've always dreamed of being a glorious cataphract charging into battle, and it would appear that the Rome at War mod includes two-handed spear use from horseback:

ItsV1.jpg

Which for me is a dream come true. 

The highest-tier cataphracts ought to have very heavy armor both for themselves and for their powerful steeds, and should be very hard to kill.  Several powerful close-range javelin hits or forceful spear thrusts could bring them down, as could mobbing them with average infantry, but the odd arrow headshot or sword slash should barely faze them.  As for weapons, their primary arm would be the kontos, or "barge pole" as it was called by the Greeks, a thick, heavy, long lance.  The cataphracts would wield it with two hands, preventing the use of a shield, which isn't so bad since they're covered in heavy armor anyway.  The kontos could have a high STR requirement and would have a fairly slow attack speed, but it would hit with a lot of power and would crush through blocks.  That way, a hit from a heavy two-handed lance wielded by a strong man charging on horseback could not be stopped by a little gladius parrying it, or by some shield.  The downside is that, as the kontos is long and slow, it's not any good at close quarters.

I've always badly wanted to play Mount & Blade as a heavy cataphract impaling foes with a furious charge with a two-handed lance, and now that dream finally looks like it's in sight!  Good luck with your mod!  :mrgreen:
  14. Looting

As far as I know, you get less and less loot for each companion in your party.  Soldiers reduce loot collected as well, but not by as much.  How many companions do you have, and how large are the armies you defeat?

It's also important to note that personally killing enemies has no effect on loot collected.  They just have to be defeated.
  15. Gekokujo: Submods (Announce, Release, Comment, and Suggest)

Suggestion: There ought to be some kabutos that have the mempos with mustaches and grins.  They look so fierce.  Current mempos aren't bad but are a bit plain.

Caparisoned horses would add a bit of flavor to the cavalry. 

Ozutsu would be fun, too.  They could deal massive damage but would be heavy and slow to reload, and would have a high STR requirement.

hiya-zutsuandbo-hiya.jpg
Back
Top Bottom