Recent content by Mallissin

1. {GK} The Golden Kingdom - {Recruiting}

Is this the bridge idea I suggested? That would be pretty cool. Maybe even have team jousts.

Five vs five on a thin bridge would be pretty challenging.
  2. {GK} The Golden Kingdom - {Recruiting}

Make your case here, Jager.

http://www.gk-server.us/bans.php

I'd also like to mention that I saw Negus on the server this past weekend with griefer friends, so even though that page says he's perm banned, it ain't working.
  3. {GK} The Golden Kingdom - {Recruiting}

We've had the same 3-4 griefers some afternoons causing tons of problems, either bleeding teammates, outright tking or spewing offensive crap over chat trying to start arguments.

What do you need as proof? On CS:S they had demos you could take to record people being jackasses, but there doesn't seem to be a way in MnB.
  4. {GK} The Golden Kingdom - {Recruiting}

Get a donation page working, please.

Servers are finally running properly and I promised to help out if the lag disappeared.

Preferably Paypal based.
  5. {GK} The Golden Kingdom - {Recruiting}

FIX YOUR SERVER!

It was constantly rubberbanding around in lag this afternoon.
  6. Improved 'Renown' System - First Draft

Life always comes first. Let us know if you need us to do some work while you're dealing with school.

I'd be happy to fill in a document with explanations to argue over.
  7. Effects on lords leaving me?

Kicking out a noble will cause others in your kingdom to get pissed as well.

You really can't keep people happy without Diplomacy. You just don't have enough opportunities in Vanilla to increase a lord's relationship, especially since after you become their King they won't give you quests and feasting for rep takes forever!
  8. Managing a town's economy

Since that thread I went over most of the economy code in great detail and found plenty of support for the observations I noticed. In fact, the developers seemed to agree since they upped the max number of caravans big time in the last patch.

Here's what I found:

Villages gain wealth from trade with towns. Each 3500 gold they make from a town (or a player buying goods), nets the village 1 prosperity point. Towns will only gain wealth from caravans or a weekly bump of 700 plus prosperity times 15.

Towns can gain or lose one point of prosperity once a day depending on the prices in the town. In the "center_get_goods_availability" script function, each good's price is examined based off assumed consumption and added into a "hardship_index" for each town. This hardship_index is used to create an "ideal_prosperity" (in function "get_center_ideal_prosperity"), and if the towns prosperity is above this it will lose a point of prosperity (part of the simple_triggers 24 area).

Which is unfortunately what happens every day for towns with many villages, because the villagers are driving the prices down.

So, unless the town is visited by at least one caravan a week per two villages, it will generally constantly lose prosperity over time.

To make things worse, when you take a town all of the caravans in route to it will divert to the closest town to them. This could mean the captured town will be out of those caravan's circuits for weeks.
  9. Realistic crowds in arenas/tournaments

Winterwolf00 said:
    Is there a medieval equivalent to the tie on the doorknob? lol

Cod piece on the door frame.
  10. The Blacksmith (Poll)

Night Ninja said:
    Mallissin said:
    No, they don't always increase exponentially.

I'll chalk this up to a brainfart.

No "brainfart", as I explained most blades or armor were made from varying layers of different metal put together. Iron that was folded two-three times added to steel folded six would not make an evenly exponential 2^n power layers like you seem to suggest. So, as I said, it's not purely exponential.

Night Ninja said:
    Mallissin said:
    For instance, the two numbers I gave was for 8 folds or 2 8-fold billets layered, which was common with average grade swords in the middle ages.

[citation needed]

Four folds before lunch and four after was the common blacksmith's guild quota up to the Renaissance, and was mentioned by Leonardo da Vinci in his efforts to mechanize smithies. I learned this on a tour in Venice (or Milan, I forget after nearly 8 years) which had the phrase (in Italian) "Eight before lunch!" written on one of his drawings of a mechanical hammer that would require only one man to fold. I probably have a picture somewhere but I'd have to find it and scan it.

Night Ninja said:
    Mallissin said:
    As far as making a perfectly balanced blade or "masterwork", Japanese high-grade weapons have upwards of 20 folds total to a mixture of steel layers.

You're not using Japanese blades as examples of well-balanced weapons, are you? :???:

I'm starting to notice a pattern. Am I feeding a troll?
  11. Just for fun: Who did you marry?

MasterCaruyn said:
    Usually it's the woman who is closest to the door in the first feast I go to.

Ah, you're such a romantic.
  12. The Blacksmith (Poll)

King of Scotland said:
    Rydmer said:
    The veagris is actully supposed to be the master archer, the Khergit and or Surrinade is decent horse archers epecially the khergit but it is the veagris
    Okay... Sarranids and horse archers? Not really. They don't have any mounted archers nor throwing troops. And Vaegirs are more like Swadians - a balanced faction with cavalary, infantry and archers.

What about Khergit and/or Sarranid having the special ability to upgrade horses? Blacksmith could make horse armor or help a horse with better shoes?

Also, Sarranid troops rely heavily on javelin (jareed?), maybe they can make/upgrade them as a special like the other kingdoms mentioned?

Or maybe only allow the items of a kingdom's culture to be upgraded by the craftsman depending on the culture/kingdom the town he's in?

So, Khergit bows can only be upgraded by a Khergit fletcher. Nord axes can only be upgraded by a Nord weaponsmith. Swadian armor can only be upgraded by a Swadian armorsmith, etc.

13. The Blacksmith (Poll)

Night Ninja said:
    The layers increase exponentially. :roll:

Also, the number of people that misunderstand the purpose of folding a steel billet is ridiculous. More layers =/= better sword. The main purpose of folding is to homogenize carbon content in the steel, which is pretty iffy in consistency if you manufacture it with medieval materials and methods. However, if you can find a way around this by producing a refined steel in the first place (no slag, even carbon distribution, etc), you can skip the folding process. Certain areas of Calradia might have access to purer ore deposits or more advanced means of obtaining steel.

No, they don't always increase exponentially. For instance, the two numbers I gave was for 8 folds or 2 8-fold billets layered, which was common with average grade swords in the middle ages. As far as making a perfectly balanced blade or "masterwork", Japanese high-grade weapons have upwards of 20 folds total to a mixture of steel layers.

And yes, while folding individual pieces of steel was meant to mix the content evenly, lots of types of blades and armor were actually made by mixing two or more different grades of steel to make the final form stronger by layering higher carbon steel that could be brittle with softer low carbon steel that had elasticity.

All leading back to the original discussion that a high tier weapon or armor should not take only a few days to make by a blacksmith.
  14. warband and elderscroll series

WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN!
  15. Just for fun: Who did you marry?

Sebula? Really? That guy is always a jerk in my games.

I typically marry Lady Tabath, daughter to Lord Meriga lord of Sea-raider land.
Back
Top Bottom