Recent content by dejakritz

1. Player Suggestions and Feature Discussion

I want to suggest not making some proficiencies high while keeping others low for troop types -- just make them flat across the board, like in vanilla. In future releases this will alleviate frustration with troops having proficiencies in weapons that they don't carry (nobody gets it perfect). As far as I know, giving a troop 180 proficiency in all weapons, instead of just 180 in 2 skills and 30 in the rest, doesn't hurt the game at all. And it will reduce the suckiness of troops where mistakes are made.
  2. So Many Qualis Gems

Baronwes said:
    Sometimes they pop up more, sometimes less. For me, it seems to be one every 60 days or so. My problem was that Wolfbode took out K'Juda (would never have happened before 3.4), and the Empire army took out the Three Seers. Well, atleast I got to rescue a nice bunch of Seer Favorites, who were very grateful :grin:

hahaha
  3. So Many Qualis Gems

I just wanted to say I have used so many qualis gems for the stat enhancing potions it has become ridiculous, and the only thing that would make it better is if I could couch my lance while on foot.
  4. Hosting server WARBAND HELP Please !!!!

I also have this issue. Forwarding ports and DMZ didn't help.
  5. WARBAND ONLY - PoP 3.x WARBAND BUG AND SUPPORT THREAD

Ascarona said:
    This isn't a question about the game itself... well not directly anyway. But are you guys going to update your site anytime soon? The wiki of version 2.0 was helpfull but it's kind of outdated atm and I just discovered the "official" website of the mod but the last update was back in october 2010. I can't find any info about certain random events (for example, yesterday a god told me to save the D'Shar from defeat but I'd like to know what happens if I follow her advice and how to do so).
    There is info on some of this sort of stuff in the forums here that might suffice for now. Back out to the prophecy of pendor forum here, and then do a search, you might find it quickest that way.

Treebeard said:
    The fix in that thread is essential for your system. Please do try it again.

Thanks Treebeard, I finally have it working. The stuttering problem seems completely absent. My mistake was trying the 32 bit fix thing while other aspects of my game were still broken, and not keeping the changes mentioned in the 32 bit fix as I moved on to attempt other fixes. I was trying to be cautious and not make so many changes that I'd forget about later, though I'm pretty sure this has happened anyway. This fix was clearly essential and while I had a host of other problems getting PoP to work, this one seems to have made the most difference. I've improved from everything on minimal settings with 115 participants and frequent interruptions to a lot of maximum and medium settings with 150 participants (minus HDR, Blood, anti aliasing).

I am not able to have the settings as high as in native, as it causes lag with the arrival of reinforcements, something I have seen mentioned here a lot, but with all the added content, this is to be expected, right? Anyway, I can finally start working out the perfect battle sizer and graphics setting mix for my computer, the most serious issue is finally gone. Thanks again.
  6. WARBAND ONLY - PoP 3.x WARBAND BUG AND SUPPORT THREAD

A few days ago I updeted my audio drivers (or possibly reinstalled the same up-to-date drivers) and at the time it hadn't changed anything. I tried playing again today with sound disabled, though, and was able to play for about an hour without any problems. Excited, I turned all the graphics up to the maximum (except for antialiasing, I left that off, and I also didn't put shadows on ultra high, just high, these were the settings I had in native). I was able to complete a 363 vs 880 battle, with the size set to 150, without the frame-cycling alt-tab problem occuring once. The program now uses slightly over 1,100,000 k whereas with sound it used over 1,500,000 k memory. I don't know why updating the audio drivers would make the game work if suddenly sound was disabled, or maybe something else I changed combined with this made it work.

So my question now is, how do I make this work with sound? It's not nearly as fun without it.

I will try the 32 bit fix again with sound on. Thanks for reading.

EDIT:
    I also had HDR on in native, but as advised I turned it off. The game became far too dark with it on and may have caused crashes (hard for me to tell, I have had to make a lot of changes to get as far as I have). Even with HDR turned off, I have the gamma slider at the max for PoP. It's close to what I want, I would change my monitor settings but I am too lazy to swap settings between programs, the color is correct on the desktop and other programs
  7. WARBAND ONLY - PoP 3.x WARBAND BUG AND SUPPORT THREAD

noosers said:
    Did you try to start the game playing without sound as well as playing on DX7? Did you check the WB single player support thread as well for solutions and posted your problems there because the stutter you describe is a well known WB problem.

What OS are you running? Are you running WB with administrator rights, checked force single core too?

I tried disabling sound and tried DX7. Both reduced the frequency of the problem but did not eliminate it. I checked many other threads and their suggestions didn't work (half the time a user will claim "it worked!" and less than a day later they post again saying "whoops it didn't work," which is the same rollercoaster experience I've had). A rare few of them who seem to have my problem experienced it in native warband, but most of them had the problem with PoP in particular and one said he had it with other mods. I am still trying to find solutions here and on other sites.

I run windows xp professional. I run as an administrator. Though sometimes I get a message when changing things in msconfig warning that I need to be logged on as an administrator, then it makes the changes anyway. I would like to fix that, especially if it is causing problems I'm ignorant of.

Activating single threading made battles and NPC interactions in the party window load a little faster, but otherwise had no influence on performance, did not prevent the frame flipping problem, and introduced random crashes to desktop.

EDIT:
    Treebeard said:
    Please confirm that you tried this solution:
    http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,131274.0.html

The linked solution may well fix your issues.

I tried this, I did not notice any difference, and undid the change. I will try it again to make sure I did it right.

EDIT Again:
    I actually won't try this again, because windows XP professional is 64 bit isn't it?
  8. WARBAND ONLY - PoP 3.x WARBAND BUG AND SUPPORT THREAD

I am having the same trouble with the flipping between 2 frames (sometimes it skips between 3 frames) from which only alt-tabbing out and back in gives a temporary relief.

I have spent a couple weeks of real life time and over 290 in-game days trying all the solutions listed on the first page and in all 60+ pages of this thread (seriously, I have tried all of them). I have also used search and found several other suggestions that don't appear in this thread and they also didn't work. The only thing I can think of that I haven’t tried is every single possible driver version for my graphics card (I tried two suggested rollback versions) but I will probably try that, too.

With the solutions offered here and elsewhere I am not able to fix this problem, only reduce the frequency of its occurrence. Some of the "solutions" (they are more like sacrifices, they hide the problem they don’t fix it) do reduce the frequency of this stutter/freeze but it never goes away entirely even with the graphics entirely gutted and battle size at minimum. With everything set to its ugliest setting this problem still occurs after about an hour. This shouldn’t be happening on my system, I don’t have background programs running (I disabled everything including many processes at startup, trying to dedicate my machine to this game), and I see here and in other threads people having the same problem with different graphics cards (or at least some of them make it sound like it’s the same problem).

I love this mod to death or I wouldn't be trying so hard to get it to function. I really loved the flawless 300+ person battles I experienced in native warband and, before trying PoP, had little hope keeping interest in this mod with all the sacrifices entailed in getting it working. But the mod is so well done I was able to convince myself to tolerate the terrible graphic settings and intrusive alt-tabbing workaround for some time. It is impossible to get through a large series of battles (800+ combatants) with the limit at 100 participants without having to alt-tab once during the second or third skirmish, and it occurs with increasing frequency from thereon. (And yes, although I would refuse to play this game with lower than 100 participants permanently, I did test it on the lowest settings just to see if I still experienced the stuttering, like I said I tried everything to try and weed out the problem).

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz 3.06 GHz,
    3.25 GB or RAM,
    AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series [VX2235wm]

My experience is a repeat of other posters but just to be as clear as possible I will describe it again. My problem is not a freeze or a crash in the normal sense. The game stops abruptly, sound still plays, and two or three frames will play, forward and then in reverse, endlessly, unless the user alt-tabs and reenters the game, where it resumes normally although some action happens during the alt tab. This is how it appears in battles. It also appears outside of battles – in conversations, in shops, or merely clicking on a troop type in the party screen (just selecting it, not talking to soldiers or whatever). Sometimes in the party screen, when selecting a troop, a stretched texture of the previous troop you were looking at will persist in the display. In all situations, whenever the “flipping” occurs, inside or outside of battle, alt-tab serves as a temporary workaround. The higher the graphics settings are set (texture quality and number of battle participants seeming to have the greatest impact) the sooner and more frequently this problem manifests – but regardless of settings and all attempted fixes, it will always happen eventually. Battles seem to bring it about the quickest, but I remember about a dozen situations where an hour or two on the campaign map will also produce the problem.
  9. Battle Stutter FIXED, but now ctd on saves-->edit:found temp fix

I have this problem too (the skipping between two frames) and hate having to make the game damn ugly just to play for a little while, constantly alt-tabbing and restarting the game when it gets too bad. I have a good system and wish I could get rid of this problem. My problem is not related to anything in particular other than the duration of play and demand on the system. Big battles contribute to the problem sure, but something as simple as clicking on a troop type in the party screen may also set off the back and forth skip when enough time has passed.
  10. B Other More Metal Sound Mod V2.2 for 1.010/1.011 & Warband 1.105+ *Updated 6/19/10

I appreciate the work that went into this but I mostly just have criticsm for the mod, so if you don't want to hear primarily negative commentary then stop reading this post and move to the next one. I tried this mod and want to let people interested in a mostly critical reaction know my opinion before they try it.

First off I did not like the mismatched voicework. I am also critical of the native grunts and yells, but at least they were consistent. The voices were too unrealistic, random, and exaggerated for my tastes. After one battle with this mod I exited the game spent about 20 minutes replacing all the new voices with the old ones. Then I came back and tried a few more battles.

The sword-on-sword, sword-on-flesh sounds and such, individually, are VERY good. But once you have a big battle going it begins to sound very tinny. It sounds more like a bunch of tin pans being beaten on by forks. It doesn't sound like a battle anymore. For whatever reason the combined effect did less for me than vanilla sounds.

Many of the sounds have too much resonance. A shield typically is made of multiple materials and doesn't ring so much, even a metal one. Normally realism isnt -too- important for me, but the effect detracts in my opinion instead of adds. The shield sounds in particular are too dominant/loud/resonant now. When you get a bunch of arrows in your shield you dont really hear anything else like you do with vanilla sounds.

Lastly there is no "thunder" anymore in a large number hoofbeats, its more muffled. Possibly more realistic how a hoof would sound on grass, I'll admit that. And it sounds okay with a couple horses. But the old hoofbeats sound a lot more intimidating in large numbers in my opinon.

11. Suggestions

Someone suggested adding missions. I have a few ideas:

Clear out the thieves' guild /  street gang:
    This quest is town based and given by lord or guild master and might be based on a number of player skills. Basically it would run like the "Train the peasants" or "collect taxes" and proceed at a rate depending on a player stat (str for bullying? int for investigation? cha for persuasion?). Intermittently, while trying to discover the operators of the thieves guild and their lairs, the player fights in urban battles solo or with a handful of companions against outlaws that lay a trap. At the conclusion maybe have a persuasion check to see if the thieves can be made to surrender to authorities, otherwise a final street battle to finish the criminals. Could make completion result in loss of relation with lord or the town because the lord or guild master might have had a corrupt arrangement with the thieves' guild.

Retrieve the runaway:
    Runaway could be a daughter or a son. In the case of the daughter, she runs to escape marriage or because of a disagreement with daddy/mommy. Player has to track the lady down (could be tracking skill or talking to travelers) and persuade to return. If persuasion fails, fight the bodyguard and return by force. Second option maybe has lesser reward from quest giver. In the case of a nobleman, he changed to a faction opposed to dad's faction. Player again has to go find the nobleman and persuade him to return, if persuasion fails, can attempt battle with him and bring the man back forcefully, goes to prison or switches back to dad's faction upon return. Lose relation with the king that the nobleman ran to.

Assist my people:
    Too many quests given by the noblemen hurt their peasant populations. Some lords should be nice guys, or at least have compassionate moments in their lives. Quest giver asks the player to assist economically, militarily, or some other kind of mission for one of his fiefs.

Be my champion:
    Could be given by nobleman possibly noblelady. Nobleman A quarrels with nobleman B, or noblewoman is neglected by a former suitor. Quest giver asks the player to represent them in a duel against the offender. Cash and relation reward with giver, some loss of relation with the opponent.

12. Suggestions

I tried to make this run and haven't gotten it to work yet, but already have a suggestion/question.
    I listened to about a  dozen of the songs included and didn't think they would fit well into the game. Actually I didn't like them at all. How would one go about disabling this portion of the mod?
Back
Top Bottom