Recent content by Deacon_Frost

1. Deacon_Frost

MP Native [WB] Power Lords: Castles, Cities, Kings, Nobles, Taxes! NEW SCREENS JAN2015

No it wont be better than PW but thanks Cynfar.  Vornnes scripts are much better written and work perfectly because he actually knows what he is doing.  This is my first mod so there is a high chance of errors and failure.  If it does work it's only because modders like Vornne have shared their scripts and knowledge.
    Swiftwisp said:
    If nothing is craftable, all must be looted. But does that mean on the map there are only specific loot spots or can gear spawn everywhere?
    For now there are shops to buy common items but this is a good question.  There could be some type of rare weapon spawn or a system of trading to obtain higher level weapons.  A shipping system at docks or you fight bandits that drop rare items.  Crafting is not out of the question but other ideas are welcome.
    Swiftwisp said:
    Do you have a map for this as well? or an already created map that could be used?
    We have a test map we are finishing up but have never made a full scene before.  I would like to start a new map because the scene will have a big impact on gameplay.
    Swiftwisp said:
    As always, when you want to start testing, message me on steam, we can set up a day to do it and I can get all of the members of my regiment to participate, many are very keen for this mod.
    Thanks Swift that would be awesome.  I am a bit curious if the scripts will be stable or if there will be lag with random horse  spawns, bandit spawns, trees regrowing, health regeneration and all that stuff running.  I want to make sure the weapon breaking script is stable with more ppl fighting at once so I'll try and let you know soon.

Some new stuff and things I forgot to mention:

Scripted a simple bandage system that seems to be working ok.
    Repairable doors are working but need some adjusting. 
    Crowns can now be reset so that a king can step down or transfer power of a castle to another faction member. 
    You can only carry one throwing weapon per slot to limit javelins, throwing axes etc.
    Nature sounds have been added for realistic background noises. 
  2. Deacon_Frost

MP Native [WB] Power Lords: Castles, Cities, Kings, Nobles, Taxes! NEW SCREENS JAN2015

delavaskez said:
    Beep, any updates? :grin:
    I don't want to be ungrateful for what you're doing.. but any features you're working on atm?
    What is your progress?
    I don't need any screenshots or anything, just use words :smile:
    I dont mind ppl asking for updates and I truly appreciate that you are even interested in the mod.  It makes me want to finish it quickly and get some players online ASAP.  I just keep discovering loose ends but I've actually made alot of progress with Power Lords.  I am focused on putting together major elements of the game that are required for this to play out correctly.  Some of these game elements are very basic and/or unpolished but they are nearly all in place and highly funtional.  These things can be refined later once they are all in place and working with no errors.  I am talking about the castle capture scripts, city banners that can be taken, crowns that allow players to rule, faction recruitment stone, player housing --major things like that.  I've added some other less important stuff below.
    • I have added the sitting and kneeling animations (japanese mod) and also the ability to sit in chairs or sofas etc (tavern mod). It's pretty funny tbh. 
    • I made it where players can now use a torch to light campfires, torches on the wall, braziers, hanging lamps, blacksmith forge etc.  I might expand on the use of fire for other things like burning rival banners or burning wooden buildings. 
    • Healing wounds will probably be a lot different with the new system I'm working on.  I never liked how you use a bed and health goes up all at once so I've implemented a regeneration script that raises health slowly.  You would barely notice it moving up as you travel the map or hideout somewhere.  If a player is bleeding obviously the health does not go up but down slowly as they lose blood.  I also want to add bandages you can carry to stop the bleeding but for now you must find a healing station.  I may still use beds for resting, like maybe if a players health is less than 33% it does not regenerate and the player must rest so the body can resume healing.
    • If a wooden weapon breaks now it will disappear and that's it but I could spawn a broken weapon on the ground instead and perhaps even a broken stick left in the players hand.  It would be funny to pick up the broken end of a spear and throw it at someone out of desperation. 
    • Another thing I would like to add is a hitching post for horses so ppl cant steal them.
    Tonight I was going to finish making doors repairable and also adjust the faction/crown system.  These are important for the mod to play out correctly.  I think once the doors are repairable the mod is almost ready for an open test, some of that other stuff can wait.  Now is the time for live testing and getting some player feedback.  I would like to get the opinions of players who really know this game well and are highly skilled in multiplayer but opinions from all skill levels are welcome.

I plan to repost an updated summary of what the mod is about and what I want to accomplish with it.  It is not very clear the way it is presented here so I feel I should clarify some things at some point.  For instance ppl might assume Power Lords is being built off of Persistent World 4.4 but it is not.  I have built Power Lords right on top of native only extracting certain scripts/resources from PW and adapting them to work with my mod.  So alot of the features from PW will be missing and I hope ppl arent too disappointed in that fact.  There is no fishing, hunting, farming, sailing ships etc.  There is no crafting system yet either and I'm not sure if I want to add one.  There are no classes so you dont have to train.  Each player is equal and has same stats and same access to weapons, armor, horses.  You can fight with whatever loadout you wish and there will be a premium on iron and steel since wood breaks.

Thanks for posting and if you have any ideas or suggestions let me know pls!!!
  3. Deacon_Frost

You are in the UK correct??  I am in the US so I'm currently using a small 20 player test server located in Chicago, IL.  It would be nice to have Power Lords on a Euro server at some point but the mod is too raw and unfinished for that now.  It is not ready out of the box so to speak but I do appreciate your offer, thank you.

The past few weeks I've basically redesigned the faction system to work with a smaller player base.  With the new system fewer ppl can control more cities and either rule from a main castle or attempt to rule several castles regionally.  I'm sorry I meant to post some updates but decided just to work on the mod instead.  I will have to set aside some time and update the main post to provide more details and screenshots.
  4. Deacon_Frost

Ok steam invite sent!! That would be great to do some testing with more players.  We are finishing the test map and deciding on gameplay structure for the map.  There is some scripting left to do but I plan to cut it short and push towards early testing.
  5. Deacon_Frost

Well thanks for the comments and questions.  I was not very active for about 4-5 weeks there due to a busy work schedule but seeing these posts has got me back into modding.  The holiday break will now give me time to work on Power Lords once again!  :cool:

Alfredthegreat said:
    One of the reasons why I don't play PW much is because of RP rules, it breaks up the game and puts limitation of the player, and if you don't follow, you get banned. :evil:
    I had similar experiences even when I was RP'ing and following rules.  People will sometimes lie to the admin or are friends with them.  I think that ultimately the rules have a negative effect on gameplay by limiting the action and making things too boring.  You cant take revenge for instance if there is a New Life Rule in place.

Painmace said:
    How are you going to make sure people dont Deathmatch and go in big groups of people and massacre everyone?
    If it is just a random person joining the server to run around killing ppl they wont get very far. All new players start with simple wooden weapons or tools that are breakable.  These weaker weapons will not hold up vs players that are well equipped and ready for battle.  If a large group of players want to stand around unarmed I suggest they do this in a secure house or an estate with a courtyard.

Swiftwisp said:
    How do you think this will last if there is only the incentive to kill therefore how are you supposed to  make money? there will be no safe zone and it will be death matching everywhere, is that the idea?
    Well who knows if this will last but I'll say this... Power Lords isn't just about making money it is about seeking power.  To gain power and to maintain it the use of force is necessary to some degree.  Especially if there were to be a shortage of resources or if greedy people were to become powerful.  There will be safezones if players create them or purchase them.

Yea it is the idea... to make things more brutal and difficult to survive out in the open pursuit of riches.  The only way to great wealth will be to organize and seek power as a faction.  But the factions should also be tough with only the most competent fighters leading the way for new recruits. Only the strongest would survive and the faction would be ruled by the sword.  It would be so brutal they would sometimes duel each other for the top spot or maybe just assassinate their own king in a dirty way to steal the throne.  It will suck for the player who was king but he should choose company more wisely in the future and it will also set things up for revenge as he retakes the throne.

Lidiss said:
    Beta testing? :razz:  :fruity:
    Sure, I will try to make a test copy ASAP!!!  Early Access to POWER LORDS coming soon!!!  Some of the features are pretty basic for now but the mod is quite playable tbh. :shifty:
  6. Deacon_Frost

Warband Refined & Enhanced Compiler Kit (v1.0.0 @ Mar 01, 2015)

Looks good dude thanks for releasing this.  I'm downloading cant wait to try it out.  :smile:
  7. Deacon_Frost

Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

WookieWarlord said:
    How would one go about preventing the G key from dropping your wielded item in multiplayer?

Or failing that, how would one be able to detect when a player drops an item?

Edit: Oh I found the ti_on_item_dropped used in the napoleonic wars module system. This would answer the second question, but the first one is more important to me.

I would like to know this also.  I tried simply re-equipping the item in a ti_on_item dropped trigger which works fine except when you go to pick up a new object and your items slots are full (while carrying 4 items).  The new item is picked up but the script wont re-equip the dropped item when it is "auto-dropped".  Maybe another script in item_picked up trigger is needed to correct this issue.  I'm not sure I gave up and just had the item moved to its original spawn location if the player drops it.
  8. Deacon_Frost

How do I lock weapons slot so I can't switch weapons in multiplayer?

Well it was actually for two separate items, sorry that wasnt very clear.  Say a player picks up a large weapon I dont want them to tuck it in their pants or keep it on their back.  They would be forced to drop the weapon if they needed to switch.  I thought about storing the weapons the player is carrying then clearing all 4 weapon slots temporarily when they pick up the large weapon so it would be the only one equipped.  Then just reload their previous weapons if they drop the large one but maybe there is a better way to do this.

For the other undroppable idea I just wanted a unique item that cant be transfered to other players and only be available when the player is killed.  I already have the ti_on_item_dropped part of it working but I dont think we can remove scene props so I moved it under the scene.  Now the only problem is if a player picks up a new item the "permanent" item could still drop if he already has 4 items.  I was just hoping there was an easy way to prevent this.  NVM I see what you said there Engine's behavior towards dropped items is uniform.  :oops:

hmmm about the arrows, the reason I thought they didnt drop is I because I get stuck with arrows on my back sometimes and have to manually drop them. 
    EDIT I'm just doing some testing now.  Youre right, both the bow and arrows do drop but if I have bow equipped I cant pick up arrows with full slots.  Also it seems I cant pick up throwing weapons when my item slots are full.  (maybe due to alternate melee?)

So yea I can just reequip like you said hopefully there is no issues.  I shall go back to making them unswitchable trying the clearing method above.
  9. Deacon_Frost

How do I lock weapons slot so I can't switch weapons in multiplayer?

I would like a player to have one weapon to be permanent and not switchable, can only drop it and pick it up.  How would I go about doing this?  I could not find the answer but its probably posted somewhere.  Also how would I make a weapon so it does not drop when you pick up another one and...
  10. Deacon_Frost

Yes you are correct Jabdi.  Power Lords is like a PWmod with no RP rules. 

I want to create a feudalism style mod that is more about action and less about RP.  Players skilled in combat will be rewarded and they will rise in rank to lead armies which will then wage war on each other.  Other less skilled fighters will probably have to choose sides if they want protection or fend for themselves in their own pursuit of riches.  Maybe one day they will  own a house or stronghold and be somewhat safe on their own, however, organized factions that are collecting taxes will obviously be at a great advantage compared to the average citizen. 

The plan is to add some in-game structure to help players organize gameplay instead of trying to enforce admin rules on server.  Admin should join town watch or something otherwise just help the players that need assistance or have questions.  I would like to add some options for admins to hold events but that is almost like a whole new mod to add a tournament system or something.  I'm not even sure how many players this will get so I am adding some single player elements also.
  11. Deacon_Frost

OSP Other 2D Art Count's retexturing guild (download link on first page + Game of thrones OSP)

Yea I even like the rabati in native brf.  That is a cool turban in that pic though.

hmmm maybe some torn or tattered clothing and armor sort of like in the upcoming Persistent Sagas viking MP mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uqMCqWabIr0
    There is some ragged, ripped up clothing in that video shown at about 2:40 but the whole trailer is pretty good.

Some new saddles for horses might be cool.  I was gonna try doing some alternate colors at least but new designs would be nice. Maybe then players could buy new saddles for their horses.  Would also be nice to remove saddles altogether and have bareback horses as well but that is a bit more work.
  12. Deacon_Frost

yea I actually meant "action RP" there and "hardcore PvP" (player vs player combat).  At the time I was thinking action-based role playing instead of  story-based RP but yea I might just take out the RP in heading because its not really a role playing mod... more centered around combat. 

UPDATED -- changed heading 12/28/2014
  13. Deacon_Frost

Power is always dangerous. Power attracts the worst and corrupts the best. The greater the power, the more dangerous the abuse. (more screenshots below) (video link soon) The Journey Begins As an ordinary citizen with little money, plain clothing and crude tools. Chop wood, mine for...
  14. Deacon_Frost

Displaying slot values from agents or scene_props in presentations

Thank you I got this to work np.  Yes, as you suggested the values just needed to be set client side.  Multiplayer can be tricky because you have to set values on both server and client sometimes for things to work properly.  One way is to create a new client event for setting values but since I created one for the menu to be opened from a scene prop, I can just set values there which is what I did.

I can now display house owner or bank balance np but one thing that bothers me... when I make a deposit at bank I have to open the presentation again for balance to update.  I would like to deposit or withdraw gold and have the balance update instantly.  I tried putting (presentation_set_duration, 0),  then start bank_presentation again but hasnt worked so far.
    Code:
                  (ti_on_presentation_event_state_change,
                  [(store_trigger_param_1, ":object"),

(try_begin),
                     (eq, ":object", "$g_bank_menu_amount"),
                     (store_trigger_param_2, "$g_gold_amount"),     # amount
                   (else_try),				
                     (eq, ":object", "$g_bank_deposit"),		  
                     (multiplayer_send_2_int_to_server, multiplayer_event_bank_transfer, "$g_gold_amount", 0),		# deposit
                     (presentation_set_duration, 0),	  # HERE					  
                     (start_presentation, "prsnt_bank_menu"),	 # HERE				  
                   (else_try),	
                     (eq, ":object", "$g_bank_bank_withdraw"),
                     (multiplayer_send_2_int_to_server, multiplayer_event_bank_transfer, "$g_gold_amount", 1),	     # withdraw
                     (presentation_set_duration, 0),   # HERE						
                     (start_presentation, "prsnt_bank_menu"),  # HERE				  
                   (else_try),								
                     (eq, ":object", "$g_presentation_obj_house_menu_done"),     # done
                     (presentation_set_duration, 0),			
                   (try_end),
                  ]),

I also tried putting the set_duration line before the multiplayer_event_bank_transfer.  I thought that would close the bank menu then open it quick with the updated bank balance but it doesnt work.  Anybody know how to make this work??
Back
Top Bottom