Recent content by Armstrong

1. Armstrong

Chamber blocking help?

Orion said:
    It's entirely feasible that a player may use more than a visual cue to trigger a reactionary chamber (making this whole "gotta have good graphics" argument rather pointless). Back in ye olde beta shortly after chamber-blocking was implemented I learned to attempt chambers when I heard the distinct sound at the beginning of a swing. I stopped doing this because a large portion of players will feint by releasing their attack and cancelling, which plays the sound as well, but that doesn't mean it's not applicable still. The only other reason I stopped using that as my cue is because at the time almost all servers ran medium, so if my timing was spot-on for that sound cue I would swing too early and miss. On fastest it worked just fine. The sound plays from the very beginning of a swing, and even if you're relatively close if you had an excellent reaction time you could probably successfully chamber on sheer reaction using that sound as a cue.

Just sayin'.

What is a good visual cue to look out for then? At the moment I'm performing them entirely based on timing alone, but in my experience at least this can be pretty effective to remember clearly
    across different play sessions
  2. Armstrong

Chamber blocking help?

I'm finding chamber blocking to be pretty risky at the moment, against a cpu I can land them about 80% of the time because their intentions are simple to read and they don't strafe, against other players on the other hand I'm land them more like 30% of the time which of course proves to be more...
  3. Armstrong

We Finally Played Warband!

Scully said:
    My post is still there, how awkward! Anyway, great video. Loved the archer kills at the beginning.

Lol I yeah I thought what's this idiot talking about, until I saw this post  :lol:
  4. Armstrong

Have they nerfed shields yet?

I'm a long time player and feel the need to return to these forums and ask a couple of times a year, have they nerfed shields yet? My main gripe with warband was that it had highly skilled gameplay in the form of 2 handed weapons and manual blocking, but then you would find some people with...
  5. Armstrong

Best/Most popular Fantasy mod?

I'm just curious as to what is regarded as the best, or most popular fantasy mod available for Mount and Blade Warband, the current completed mod list is pretty damn long and the titles don't always give much of a description, so i figured i'd ask here. I remember downloading the Persistant...
  6. Armstrong

Chamber blocking tips needed.

I feel I have somewhat got a hang of the timing needed for chamber blocking, or atleast i'm getting the hang of it. However, I seem to be having trouble making the weapons connect, especially against strafing opponents. Could anyone clarify how I can consistently make the weapons connect reliably?
  7. Armstrong

Shield VS Shield, is there more to it than just trading hits?

I've also noticed alot of the time, regardless of weapon type, i'll manual block the enemies attack; attempt to attack them ASAP but end up on the recieving end of their attack.

I used to be somewhat decent at dueling about a year ago when I used to play regularly, but now i'm finding this happening alot. What am I doing wrong?
  8. Armstrong

The whole lack of skill ceiling where sheilds are involved is what has made me drop this game so many times.

Is there anyway to keep the enemy out of range with 2 handers? It seems the second shield users closer in on me I can't get the distance back because back pedelling is too slow and kicking is fairly risky.
  9. Armstrong

I prefer using 2 handed weapons but i'm finding it too hard to make use of the range of the weapon, it feels I get 1 initial hit due to my range, and then they are in my face because me walking backwards is much slower than them walking forwards towards me. So i'm considering switching to...
  10. Armstrong

Are shields still overpowered?

Draygo said:
    If shields are so overpowered how come I kill shield users before their shield breaks? Often in 3-4 exchanges or less.

Hrm.

Anytime I see 'shield is OP' I see a player that has no idea how to actually fight.

Because you're playing idiots who swing their weapons rapidly with no concern as to the range of your two hander. Any shield user with half a brain blocks the initial attack then closes in and applies pressure.

Don't automatically assume someone must be a scrub just because they don't believe your precious little game is perfect.
  11. Armstrong

Papa Lazarou said:
    Shields still have impossibly wide coverage against melee attacks, require no reaction by the defender, and remove most of the sense of danger from melee fighting. You don't even need to look at your attacker. It's not game-breaking, but I think shield mechanics are one of the biggest things to fix at the moment.

Balance is only one issue of many. Things that are psychologically jarring are probably more important.

Glad to someone agrees with me, it feels to me like shields are easy mode whereas 2 hand users have to be more skillful for what is essentially the same result.

To be honest when a game offers an easy way out, it really undermines the entire competative aspect.

EDIT:Shields aren't overpowered initially but after a few upgrades they are. They reward zero skill, low risk, with high reward. Plus there's nothing worse than some guy with 2 top level shields...
  12. Armstrong

I quit this game about half a year ago because I was getting tired of fighting people who would hoard shields and just pull out another as soon as one was destroyed (this made it kinda unbalanced towards 2handers). Has the game been balanced at all since then? I'm also interested in any general...
  13. Armstrong

Shields seem to take ALOT of skill out of this game, am I missing something?

Tibertus said:
    Armstrong said:
    Both weapons take a certain amount of skill yes, but the difference between the amount required is huge. I've noticed that whenever shields are thrown into the mix things often become alot more luck based making it near impossible to consistently win.

No, the difference isn't huge. In fact, it's about even once you get halfway decent at manual block. I'm sure you'd make a ****ty turtling shield user. In fact, I'm sure you're a ****ty two handed user as well, since you're complaining.

Do you realise how childish you sound right now? Instead of aknowledging what is a blatantly obvious balance issue in the game you resort to throwing out insults. YES it is possible to kill shield users but the fact of the matter is it's HORRIBLY unbalanced, hell it's possible to kill a man using a rocket launcher with a pistol in many FPS, but that hardly means it's fair does it? You really need to pull you smug little face from inside your ass...

The fact of the matter is many of them usually carry the higher end shields and often more than one of them, one mistake and you're dead wereas they can block about 4 of your attacks if not more and that's only if they have one shield.
  14. Armstrong

Both weapons take a certain amount of skill yes, but the difference between the amount required is huge. I've noticed that whenever shields are thrown into the mix things often become alot more luck based making it near impossible to consistently win.
  15. Armstrong

Dent said:
    If you'd like to do a practice match going sword&board against two-hander, I'm up for it. It is not impossible and not even particularly difficult to beat shield users with a two-hander, unless they're Rhade or someone similar.

Did you get the game from steam? if so what's your steam ID, i'll add you.
Back
Top Bottom