What’s with the lack of lore?

Users who are viewing this thread

Are there any books Or libraries in the games ? I would love to learn more .Skyrim had much lore and information , Will devs be planning on adding more lore and maybe an actual story with each faction.

are sandbox games supposed to not have lore ?

Skyrim had much lore and information

Well of course it does as it is a pure RPG -but I agree with your overall point. IMO, the characters should all have set personalities and certain dynamics like who hates who, as well as where are the most important resources in which Lords will battle over. Because a completely barren sandbox is not fun, whats fun is to see how you can affect an already functioning and dynamic world both politically, militarily and culturally

I think the lack of lore is deliberate by the devs. There's some lore in the form of board games, architecture, names of locations in custom battles, encyclopaedia entries of towns and villages, some clans and characters, and the battle of pendraic but they probably decided to not write too much lore because Bannerlord is veeeeeery low fantasy. I mean, we do know that both the geographic shape is based on real world geography and that the cultures of Calradia are amalgams of several real world cultures.

2 things on the lore that I would appreciate would be companions talking about their hometowns when we get near them like in Warband (there's already lore written for them in the encyclopaedia, they can mostly paraphrase those) and the name of the regions being shown when we zoom out (there's already several named regions that correspond to locations on the map in custom battles), these regions' borders would be shown/defined and they would have a name.

There's lore, but the lore is behind either a paywall called Digital Companion (which is free if you played the EA) but its of course locked outside the context of the game, and actually the lore itself is useless and purposeless, what we call here "flavour text" because none of it applies to the gameplay anyways. Also apparently a character like Caladog was based on a "charismatic with wicked sense of humour" real person, of course this doesn't exist nowhere in the game and Caladog is just a copy paste of every other king in the game, just like every faction playing the same outside of combat.

Which is why all hardcore roleplayers of this game turn to the "I made it the **** up" technique when trying to submerge themselves in the game. Also don't expect anything to be improved about it, the devs know, and they don't care lmfao

Are there any books Or libraries in the games ? I would love to learn more .Skyrim had much lore and information , Will devs be planning on adding more lore and maybe an actual story with each faction.

are sandbox games supposed to not have lore ?
Whoever is the lead writer hasn't wrote much, since all the Mount and Blade where player has agency is up to whatever it happens during the game. And i have 70% of certainty they don't have proper story writers

It's not a proper RPG like Dragon age, Mass effect with a designed story and outcomes.

But if you're talking about the past times, it's lacking, specially during the Bannerlord timeline, about Arenicos and whatever happened during his reign.

We know the empire has gone or dwindle to petty kingdom somewhere by Warband timeline and the Nord invaded 200 years after bannerlord timeline.

Most the story is up to the player, due to the lack of events or something that change the story in game.

Skyrim even hae books about it, even inside the game the lead writer wrote books about the Lore. Skyrim is a much more ocmplex thing than Mount and Blade.

Which of course can be remedied, Taleworld just need to hire writers and good ones to make up the story, the times the Continent had only natives and the story during Calradios looking for a new home to his exileds ( same story as Aeneas)

Last edited:
The problem with the lack of lore for me isn't just that there's not tons of books to read in the game, but rather how poorly it adjust to the gameplay, and how poorly they designed the world in order for it to be entretaining or amusing. Like, we have this cool ass addition of minor clans which could lead to a lot of quests and mini rivalries between each other, potential cool allies and enemies but instead they are just there being boring and being just mercenaries without much to add to the game. PoP had knighthoods that you could join and even end up being leader off, which lead to a lot of gameplay options and routes since you would end up fighting with other Knight orders, having a lot of potential new and strong enemies but earning money and power, not something that happens in Bannerlord for sure, minor clans are mostly pretty easy, even if aesthetically they look kinda cool. And Bandits are a complete disgrace, they added a few more hideouts and nothing more? They need to expand the opportunities to be had, make the early game way longer and way more difficult. Taleworlds leads need to play Prophesy of Pendor and learn a thing or two about world building.

I think the lack of lore is deliberate by the devs. There's some lore in the form of board games, architecture, names of locations in custom battles, encyclopaedia entries of towns and villages, some clans and characters, and the battle of pendraic but they probably decided to not write too much lore because Bannerlord is veeeeeery low fantasy. I mean, we do know that both the geographic shape is based on real world geography and that the cultures of Calradia are amalgams of several real world cultures.

2 things on the lore that I would appreciate would be companions talking about their hometowns when we get near them like in Warband (there's already lore written for them in the encyclopaedia, they can mostly paraphrase those) and the name of the regions being shown when we zoom out (there's already several named regions that correspond to locations on the map in custom battles), these regions' borders would be shown/defined and they would have a name.
The problem with the lack of lore for me isn't just that there's not tons of books to read in the game, but rather how poorly it adjust to the gameplay, and how poorly they designed the world in order for it to be entretaining or amusing. Like, we have this cool ass addition of minor clans which could lead to a lot of quests and mini rivalries between each other, potential cool allies and enemies but instead they are just there being boring and being just mercenaries without much to add to the game. PoP had knighthoods that you could join and even end up being leader off, which lead to a lot of gameplay options and routes since you would end up fighting with other Knight orders, having a lot of potential new and strong enemies but earning money and power, not something that happens in Bannerlord for sure, minor clans are mostly pretty easy, even if aesthetically they look kinda cool. And Bandits are a complete disgrace, they added a few more hideouts and nothing more? They need to expand the opportunities to be had, make the early game way longer and way more difficult. Taleworlds leads need to play Prophesy of Pendor and learn a thing or two about world building.
Whoever is the lead writer hasn't wrote much, since all the Mount and Blade where player has agency is up to whatever it happens during the game. And i have 70% of certainty they don't have proper story writers

It's not a proper RPG like Dragon age, Mass effect with a designed story and outcomes.

But if you're talking about the past times, it's lacking, specially during the Bannerlord timeline, about Arenicos and whatever happened during his reign.

We know the empire has gone or dwindle to petty kingdom somewhere by Warband timeline and the Nord invaded 200 years after bannerlord timeline.

Most the story is up to the player, due to the lack of events or something that change the story in game.

Skyrim even hae books about it, even inside the game the lead writer wrote books about the Lore. Skyrim is a much more ocmplex thing than Mount and Blade.

Which of course can be remedied, Taleworld just need to hire writers and good ones to make up the story, the times the Continent had only natives and the story during Calradios looking for a new home to his exileds ( same story as Aeneas)
Well of course it does as it is a pure RPG -but I agree with your overall point. IMO, the characters should all have set personalities and certain dynamics like who hates who, as well as where are the most important resources in which Lords will battle over. Because a completely barren sandbox is not fun, whats fun is to see how you can affect an already functioning and dynamic world both politically, militarily and culturally
Well i understand but I just feel like bannerlord feels like a team death between The factions lol. Each faction should have a story mode

Well i understand but I just feel like bannerlord feels like a team death between The factions lol. Each faction should have a story mode
To have lore they would need more writers dedicated on creating stories, timelines, people, battles, etc.

It would be nice to have that and even small novels, I wrote a fanfic before, but that is totally my imagination and my head. Sent over to them too.

A story mode where you could choose a clan to play would be awesome. But remember that the moment the player take control of the game is a "What if" campaign. The same as it happens on CK3.

We know by lore of warband that the nords invaded southern Sturgia and won. Vlandia conquered half of the Battanians and most of the Empire and replace them as major power, the culture Vlandia + Imperial = Swadians, and later on the Rhodoks.

We know some clans took over the control of the kingdom and became major powers, and some created new kingdoms.

But it's a "What if", we know it's not canon the Empire survived as major power. But due to the map in warband being too small, wo knows if still exist somewhere

Well, Mount & Blade, unlike TES, doesn't have a Ted Peterson to write the foundation of their universe and him + fan community to submit short stories that most of the books you see in Skyrim originate from.

I'd say Bannerlord, lore-wise, is like Arena in that there's a bit of it but it's too fluid and random to nail consistency on (besides what you can infer happened from Bannerlord to Warband due to this being a prequel) so we haven't had out Daggerfall where the world's fully built and realized nor a Morrowind where said world gets retconned (and rebuilt) by new writers (like Micheal Kirkbride). It'd be sweet if M&B had its Ted Peterson and Micheal Kirkbride to do the lore and stuff; we'll just have to see if TW ever wants to hire a professional writer, as Bethesda did, for the purpose or not. Tamriel used to be a generic setting inspired by several movies and table-top games the original devs were fans of, after all, before it was expanded and codified in Daggerfall and then retconned (to varying degrees) every installment leading up to Skyrim. Calradia's essentially a fantasy Europe comprised of what's like the devs favorite "factions" to RP as in war games; it could end up becoming its own, distinct, medieval fantasy world with a proper writer for the next installment.

I strongly disagree with this; I vastly prefer NO main story (at least, with the assumption there's no Sandbox like we currently have) since 100% of the fun and immersion for me is just playing and living with the consequences while observing what the NPCs do to me and to each other.

Which is why all hardcore roleplayers of this game turn to the "I made it the **** up" technique when trying to submerge themselves in the game.
Basically yes lol. I don't "create narratives" or scrips and try to follow them, I just look back and what's happened and try to rationalize a story out of it lol. It's pretty easy to do so with this game and Warband, and I prefer this way over more conventional storytelling, but I do think it'd be nice if there was more established lore, faction individuality, and character distinction (like, basically, if Calradia had its Daggerfall equivalent via its Ted Peterson equivalent instead of being stuck in the Arena phase where the lore isn't really a thing yet).

Basically yes lol. I don't "create narratives" or scrips and try to follow them, I just look back and what's happened and try to rationalize a story out of it lol. It's pretty easy to do so with this game and Warband, and I prefer this way over more conventional storytelling, but I do think it'd be nice if there was more established lore, faction individuality, and character distinction (like, basically, if Calradia had its Daggerfall equivalent via its Ted Peterson equivalent instead of being stuck in the Arena phase where the lore isn't really a thing yet).
Yeah, I mean it's the fun of it, Kenshi also follows this line of "making your own story as you play" but it will always be a problem for me that the game doesn't provide more contexts for this to happen. They're slowly increasing interaction with characters but I think a game of this scale requires the double of what it provides. For me it's essential that rivalries, and a more extreme diversity is put in place for it to happen. For example, there's a lack of religion in the game, something absolutely important in these times, a reason for casus belli even, I understand why they would ommit religion for example but provided this is fiction based on reality they could get away with adding some sort of Christianity, Muslim and Celtic religion without necessarily copying them 1:1. It would provide way more context for the player to interact in and raise in power.

Everyone is going to end up imagining some scenarios but the game needs to meet us halfway so it flows better and it doesn't end up being repetitive, and right now is quite repetitive!

Yeah, I mean it's the fun of it, Kenshi also follows this line of "making your own story as you play" but it will always be a problem for me that the game doesn't provide more contexts for this to happen. They're slowly increasing interaction with characters but I think a game of this scale requires the double of what it provides. For me it's essential that rivalries, and a more extreme diversity is put in place for it to happen. For example, there's a lack of religion in the game, something absolutely important in these times, a reason for casus belli even, I understand why they would ommit religion for example but provided this is fiction based on reality they could get away with adding some sort of Christianity, Muslim and Celtic religion without necessarily copying them 1:1. It would provide way more context for the player to interact in and raise in power.

Everyone is going to end up imagining some scenarios but the game needs to meet us halfway so it flows better and it doesn't end up being repetitive, and right now is quite repetitive!
It's not that I don't agree with you, but they would gain almost nothing from adding religion to the game except for lots of headache. Just adding culture specific customs and rituals would be much better than religion imo.

FACTS!

For me it's essential that rivalries, and a more extreme diversity is put in place for it to happen. For example, there's a lack of religion in the game
Yes, I agree. More meaningful diversity would be good. The only qualifier is to avoid making fictional religions too obviously similar to real ones since, well, I suspect that might be illegal for Taleworlds to do and also alienate the international player base. They could easily make fictitious religions with believable ethics and structure, though, but that might tie back into the whole "they need a Ted Peterson or Micheal Kirkbride" thing I said above since what seems "easy" to me is probably very difficult for somebody not used to making things up for a living lol. I wouldn't want a hack-job of implausible-to-worship joke religions and you might need a professional to make things like the Aedra and Daedra or (especially) the Tribunal of TES. EDITED to add: Actually, maybe the devs just want to do it justice and don't want to do it without certainty in their competence. The more I think about it, the more I realize most game worlds are terrible at creating and depicting religious (outside of them being more or less decorative, like in Dragon Warrior/Quest games) since they tend to be... hard to appreciate, as in, hard to imagine myself being a part of if I had a choice in their universe. The Tribunal might be the best fictional religion I've ever played with since they actually have a lot of substance to their appearances (and it helps their gods are not only active in governing their country but visible and approachable). Usually, they're too alien to take seriously or portrayed too negatively.

For sure with inner-faction rivalries though--you don't need to be very creative to use the existing game systems to create them, at least subtly. Like, I remember reading another post/thread where they said each policy has two "traits" on a political triangle that determines which NPCs will find them appealing. I believe the triangle was "democracy, autocracy, and oligarchy" and, basically, each NPC, based on their personality, would favor two of these and thus could vote consistently in an understandable direction as a result. "Democracy" basically voting for policies that favor the general populace; autocracy for centralizing power in the monarch; and oligarchy for maintaining the "noble democracy" that is essentially the government type of every faction. This alone could create some intense inner-faction rivalries that emerge organically over time and likely lead to defections to other kingdoms more slanted towards their preferred points on the triangle. As far as I know, the three empires essentially act as a highly visible example of the concept; Empress Rhagaea's is autocracy; Emperor Garios's is oligarchy; and Emperor North Guy is democracy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom