<> OCEANIC CAMPAIGN I: OFFICIAL THREAD <>

Users who are viewing this thread

Results of tonight's match:

score_11.jpg

RESULT: KOS DEFEAT DOJO 6 - 0

Good game guys.  Thought it would have been a bit more contested after the first round draw.

Screenshot right at the end:

GoSvsDojo26410.jpg

That first round was a bit worrying, but then we got it in gear.

But yes, this map, spawn 1 nords = win easily. Proven by Dojo kicking our ass when we attacked.

gg.

Laszlo, I think that you should probably consider some limitations regarding the factions.  It's clear that Nord have the best infantry in the game, bar none.  Given this map's terribly poor design, I think maybe you should put some sort of restriction on them.  The same goes for almost all maps in which a team spawns inside a defensive position.  I know it's a hard call to make, as you're making a "campaign" as opposed to a more competitive league, but surely it's something to consider.  Either that, or allow both teams to spawn as the same faction.  Basically, there's no reason to not choose Nords on any infantry based map.

GG.

Nords are pretty damn good. I thought we were going to do alot better given our first round draw, but then your huscarl charge down the pier just ripped through our infantry, eventuating in chaos on the boat.

Wish I knew the specifics of master of the field rules and such. We thought it would eventuate at one minute, then we thought it might do it after the countdown, so we avoided running in to the camped house.

I have been thinking about the rules for new clans getting in on the action, and to RP it to a small extent, I believe it would be really simple/easy to make it so that if a clan wants to get into the game, they announce an attack on a Hex that is on the outer edge of the map (to make it seem as if they are coming from "out there" kinda thing.). If they win, they get the hex and are on the board, but can only build a castle if they own a settlement hex and something like 3 hexes, just as base rules.

Would be fairly good to get some other clans into the action. Rawr needs to announce their attack properly already. :razz:

note: that castle requirement thing was just something we have talked about before, so if someone disagrees with that part, I really don't have much problem dropping that bit.

Doomicus said:
GG.

Nords are pretty damn good. I thought we were going to do alot better given our first round draw, but then your huscarl charge down the pier just ripped through our infantry, eventuating in chaos on the boat.

Wish I knew the specifics of master of the field rules and such. We thought it would eventuate at one minute, then we thought it might do it after the countdown, so we avoided running in to the camped house.

The flag spawns a certain amount of time after the last kill AFAIK.

So it didn't spawn because someone died too late into the match.

It was a good game, that first round was crazy. Incredibly good co-ordination on your part - if you'd taken advantage of it and attacked it coulda swung the game.

Scorch - Rawr is waiting for us to make the attack with them as a merc faction.

The problem with outside factions only attacking from the edge is that all the castles are on the edge of the map... so it would be really easy for an emerging kingdom to take out an existing one.

EDIT:

Also, am I the only one who feels the clan matches are a little short?

Today's match took about 15 minutes. We should make it a first to 12 or something.
Or best of 3 first to 6 matches (to mitigate the rollover bonus of winning a round somewhat, as currently whoever wins the first round/few rounds has a huge advantage in the subsequent ones).

I think short is good, Don't forget this is a small map and we charged every round after the 1st.

Where as on a bigger map rounds will go longer and it can easily take 2x longer to finish.

It allows us to get in, get it done and be finished to go on doing other things, especially important if we had more then 1 match on the same night.

ACC1 said:
I think short is good, Don't forget this is a small map and we charged every round after the 1st.

Where as on a bigger map rounds will go longer and it can easily take 2x longer to finish.

It allows us to get in, get it done and be finished to go on doing other things, especially important if we had more then 1 match on the same night.
This is really illogical, I think.  I don't understand how this is possibly a positive thing.  Utterly stomping a team is pretty pointless.  I agree with the guys on the previous page.

Hey everyone, just read over the previous posts, so a few different topics to talk about:

1. My internet: I'm expecting to be able to collect my modem today or tomorrow afternoon, in which case I can finally update the campaign properly very soon (including introducing AoS & Rawr)

2. @ Toadmeister on Nord dominance and faction restrictions. Yeah, Nords on Port Assault and probably Nord Town have now been proven to own. I've toyed with the idea of only allowing the 4 balanced factions (Vaegir, Sarranid, Swadia, Rhodok) in the campaign and banning the two extreme factions (Khergits and Nords)....

But the thing is: taking a port by an amphibious assault was always intended to be one of the hardest things to do in this campaign. It's very hard but with a high payoff. If Dojo had taken our port, we would become entirely dependent on our allies to attack any faction other than Dojo. (Although I'll confess I haven't been able to arrange the rules so that having to rely on an ally like that is really much of a detriment at all)

KoS attacked Dojo because we were so confident we thought we could win despite the disadvantage, and it looks like Dojo thought the same. The last two Dojo vs. KoS matches were slaughterfests because of overzealous or inexperienced strategic thinking.

3. Battle length. The battles do seem to be short as of late, but the two Port battles would be the extreme end of the scale. You've got the super powerful nords on the smallest map, it's a recipe for a quick butchering. Once you get 2 larger balanced armies on random plains, I expect more maneuvering and skirmishing and also closer fights ( might be 6:5 in a first to 6 battle, and each round taking 3-5 minutes etc). 

Papa Lazarou said:
I think sudden death matches would rock, actually.

*Adopts least popular position*

Oh I'm with you on that one. Picture this: Large random plains, Swadia vs. Vaegirs, 32 vs 32. 5000 gold each. 1 round. No time limit.

It would be the most epic thing ever. I predict battles like that would result in more 'realism'. If you only had 1 life and the battle was decided in one round, everything is super high risk high return. Everyone would put a lot more effort into preserving their life which would result in shieldwalls, formations, skirmishing, maneuvering, *drools*

I agree, shorter better.
1 round might be a little extreme yet. but best of 3 rounds by default at 10min or so rounds could be just as good.

Las, I think keeping Nords is fine.
As you said the reason these last two matches were such slaughters was because of the map more than the factions.
The defender should have some advantage even on those maps that aren't inherently favoring them, and being able to choose Nords does that well.

Also, I really like the big 32-32 battle idea.
Could be pretty epic.

I think we should just try many different types of battles - 1-life sudden deaths, long grueling 20 round battles, all sorts. As opposed to having every match being pretty much the same.

At some point in the campaign that must be done, a full all-clan massive single pitched battle. Or we could just do one of those anyway, imagine all the oceanic clans all fighting it out in a single massive battle :grin:

I guess it'd be hard to get a variety of equipment with only 1 round though. 5000 gold each would have everyone maxed out basically.

HTAPAWASO said:
I think we should just try many different types of battles - 1-life sudden deaths, long grueling 20 round battles, all sorts. As opposed to having every match being pretty much the same.
I'd agree with this. Best to try a variety.

Nice. Don't have to join a clan to participate. I'd like to offer my services as a mercenary if anyone needs an extra person.

Game name is DanteWhite/NovaNero.
Have Microphone havn't used TS yet.

Should be available most times.  :lol:

DanteWhite said:
Nice. Don't have to join a clan to participate. I'd like to offer my services as a mercenary if anyone needs an extra person.

Game name is DanteWhite/NovaNero.
Have Microphone havn't used TS yet.

Should be available most times.  :lol:

Most of us use Mumble instead of TS, although I think KEEN use Vent.

It's not a clan channel or anything, so just get on whenever you play and people are more likely to take notice of you and ask you to participate.

Back
Top Bottom