Author Topic: Prophesy of Pendor Version 3.0 Status Update  (Read 104801 times)

Serazu

• Squire
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Neutral
Re: Prophesy of Pendor Version 3.0 Status Update
« Reply #975 on: July 22, 2010, 09:54:19 PM »

Of note here, and I hope you find this as interesting as I do, are the Jatu. 

While not a main faction in the game, they are extremely deadly. 

The interesting aspect of these troops is a viewpoint I was given a dozen years or so ago by a gentlemen who was kind enough to discuss with me part of his PhD. Thesis on the evolution the warfare.  One of the interesting ideas he put forward was that it was not “armor and firepower” that is the primary evolutionary tract, but rather “mobility and firepower”.

As we look at the Jatu for example, they are not greatly armored, but they do have two distinct advantages.  They are extremely fast, and they hit hard. 

What was interesting to me, and the thrust of this post, was we gave to the Jatu these “Honor Lances”, which were just a bit longer (but on-par damage wise with the other lances).  There were no other changes to them from 2.5.  The effects of this minor change make these troops significantly more deadly.  This had the effect that half of the Dev team believes that they should be “nerfed” and that they are overpowered.

I thought that you would find some value in this observation and this perspective.

Best regards,

Saxondragon

Saxondragon, the Jatu was one of your most brilliant ideas in a mod full of brilliant ideas. You managed to re-awaken to players a primitive fear all civilized nations felt, whether western (Greeks, Romans and so on) or oriental (Chinese, Indians and so on), towards the aggressive nations of central Asia, such as the Huns or the Mongols, with their hoards that left nothing in their path, sth neither the Khergits nor the D'Shar managed to do. I still remember with dread my first "touch" with them. Never had I faced such a deadly enemy. The Noldors are better fighters of course, but I was not taken by surprise by the time I faced them. The Jatu however were a nasty surprise. As far as the artistic concept is concerned, they are pure winners. I hate them with a passion, being strong AND fast, but the image of a Jatu Lancer on his steed is a marvel to watch. Even names such as "K'Juda", "Zulkar", "Jatu" and "Kajahar" fit the theme properly.

Sarpedon

• Regular
    • View Profile
  • WB
« Reply #976 on: July 22, 2010, 09:54:38 PM »
1. Sir Roland likes Kaverra because she overcame terrible adversity bravely and Kaverra likes Sir Roland because he treats her in a brotherly and gentlemanly way.  There is no romanticism there.  He also probably hopes to convert her to Astraea's worship, as he's very devout.

2. Sir Jocelyn likes Boadice's battle training and fighting skill, but is half-scared to death of her.  She doesn't like men, and considers them inferiors, so there is no romantic interest there.

3. Siggy and Sara like to flirt, bonk and booze it up.

4. Ansen has a crush on Adonja, but she mostly thinks it is funny.  He's a kid, she's pretty, these things happen.

5. Ediz and Sir Rayne like each other because they have similar codes of honor.

6. Fred and Donavan like each other from a militaristic standpoint and because they are both a bit martinet-ish.

7. Alyssa and Sir Alistair like each other because they are both about equally nasty in different ways, so they can relate.

8. Diev and Leslie view each other as much from a trader's business partner aspect as a romantic one.

9. Lethaldiran says that he likes Julia for her martial skills, but he's a reprobate and can't resist propositioning her as well.
She likes him because he teaches her Noldor sword fighting techniques.

10. Riva and Kassim liked one another in PoP V 2.5 - that didn't change.  He also is scared to make a move on her in case he wakes up with his throat slit.

Most of this is explained in the dialogs with Player and each other.  I don't think, based on this, that one can say the likes/dislikes are chiefly between men and women.  As with their objections to certain types of Player actions, we based their likes/dislikes on the logic of the way their characters developed as we worked on them.  They became "real people" to me, as I spent a great deal of time on them, and after awhile quite nearly took on lives of their own.

The mark of an artist. 
Sounds good, Donovan sounds like he will fit in great with a Mettenhiem-ish squad.  He was always the one i wanted to fit in, but couldn't because of Ansen etc. (althuogh I always felt that little woodcock could use a little Donovan style bootcamp)

Fawzia dokhtar-i-Sanjar

• The most sinister Ms. Fawzia
  • Master Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: July 22, 2010, 10:00:06 PM »
Wait until you hear what Fred has to say to and about Ansen, the poor baby.  Look at Abyss' recommended groupings in the FAQ section and you will see where Ansen fits in.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
"Is there no spellchecking or crash testing of the mod?" (MadVader modifies Hoellenbewohner)
"Your soldiers are a bunch of women, and just because women kill thousands of my people doesn't mean I fear them,  much..."  (Daedelus McGee)

HarryB

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: July 22, 2010, 10:48:30 PM »
I never meant to imply that men and women cannot be friends, it’s just that the way it is set up in the companion relationships, every like is set up to be man to woman, except for Frederick and Donovan, but there were no women left for them to be friends with.  :)  So it’s not that there are likes between men and women that struck me as odd, it’s just that every one turned out to be that way. Was that a conscious design decision to have a man and a woman counterpart that tend to feel the same way, or did it just kind of turn out that way without you thinking about it?

I'm not talking about the dislikes here, only the likes.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 12:30:51 AM by HarryB »

froggyluv

• Master Knight
    • View Profile
  • MP nick: KoA_Froggyluv
  • NW
« Reply #979 on: July 22, 2010, 11:04:53 PM »
Jatu! I agree, the Jatu are awesome and the #1 group I like to fight against - good cav challenge!

Also probably my favorite voice acting moment in-game "Jatu!"
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 11:15:55 PM by froggyluv »
Sexy Beast!

Chiksika

• Knight at Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: July 22, 2010, 11:41:16 PM »
@Fawzia, Sara reminds me of another companion, Lady Caroline, in another mod you know well.

saxondragon

• Prophesy of Pendor -Alchemist & Loremaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: July 23, 2010, 12:40:27 AM »
We are in the next few minutes entering the final phase of bug hunting and system tweaking before release early next week.  I will make a big announcement when the final version is uploaded, no worries there. :)

In this version we have lots of updates and minor changes.

The Major changes are:

The MAP:  Smoothed out and not as rough as in Beta 10.

Banners:
Another is that ABYSS and I cranked out some new Banners. We have some nice eye candy.  I know I selected some existing banners from Open Source (Permission and credit given), and I also created a few.  The end result is maybe a dozen banners that I want to use personally.  Makes deciding a coat of arms a pain.

Heartbeat Quests:
The Heartbeat quests should be fully functional and working properly. I made some tweaks and patches some logic errors and the end result is great.  I think it all came home for me when during testing I selected a bone-headed option and the system generated an extreme negative result: my village hated me, it took a hit to productivity and it spawned a heretic coven right on top of my village.  Oh joy. 

LOD Resources:
We swapped out some textures and added a new wave of .LOD resources to help the strain on the game engine and some lower end graphics cards.   We do not have the resources to fully test this out and make all the adjustments that i would like to see.... however we did a very respectable job for a team of volunteers.  Thanks to Mad Vader, LittleMikey, Sysyphe, M0rdred, Abyss, Gerhart, Fawzia, Valorian Endymion, and noosers for helping to track down these graphics issues and being relentless in seeking to optimize the size and load of this offering.

Day before yesterday we passed a silent but significant milestone on the Development Server.  We passed 10,000 posts. 

Best,

Saxondragon

Fawzia dokhtar-i-Sanjar

• Master Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: July 23, 2010, 01:09:40 AM »
@HarryB - you are forgetting Fred and Donavan, both buddies, same as Rayne and Ediz.  As I said, it was a matter of endogamy, not who was male or female.

@Chiksika - Sara's not quite as bad as Lady Caroline!  :oops: I think I went a trifle overboard on Lady C, but Rosha liked her, so she stayed in.  She actually makes a pretty good lord, when you level her up, if you can stand her that long.
"Is there no spellchecking or crash testing of the mod?" (MadVader modifies Hoellenbewohner)
"Your soldiers are a bunch of women, and just because women kill thousands of my people doesn't mean I fear them,  much..."  (Daedelus McGee)

HarryB

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: July 23, 2010, 01:35:26 AM »
Just a note, Sir Alistair seems to have been left out of the companion descriptions in the Wiki.

Selvhan

• Knight
  • Winter is coming.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swadian
« Reply #984 on: July 23, 2010, 02:48:10 AM »
I have a little and easy question about banner : When i choose a banner, will it change all the other lord's banner ? I don't remember in 2.5 what was happening.
I am asking that because i hate to take a banner that belong to someone else already.. Also , if I decide to conquer them all, i want a banner that do not belong to any faction.

That leads me to another point. Based on the screenshot, the colour of the Pendor army are Black&white with a Gryphon as symbol ? Because i want a banner that match them ;)

( Sorry about my english, it's not my 1st language as you surely have noticed. =) )

Fawzia dokhtar-i-Sanjar

• Master Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: July 23, 2010, 03:15:21 AM »
@HarryB - no, Sir Alistair hasn't been left out - in the FAQ he is in the last two combinations in the text part of the companion compositions and also in the bubble on the left midway.

Tsunami

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegir
« Reply #986 on: July 23, 2010, 03:20:53 AM »
We are in the next few minutes entering the final phase of bug hunting and system tweaking before release early next week.  I will make a big announcement when the final version is uploaded, no worries there. :)

In this version we have lots of updates and minor changes.

The Major changes are:

The MAP:  Smoothed out and not as rough as in Beta 10.

Banners:
Another is that ABYSS and I cranked out some new Banners. We have some nice eye candy.  I know I selected some existing banners from Open Source (Permission and credit given), and I also created a few.  The end result is maybe a dozen banners that I want to use personally.  Makes deciding a coat of arms a pain.

Heartbeat Quests:
The Heartbeat quests should be fully functional and working properly. I made some tweaks and patches some logic errors and the end result is great.  I think it all came home for me when during testing I selected a bone-headed option and the system generated an extreme negative result: my village hated me, it took a hit to productivity and it spawned a heretic coven right on top of my village.  Oh joy. 

LOD Resources:
We swapped out some textures and added a new wave of .LOD resources to help the strain on the game engine and some lower end graphics cards.   We do not have the resources to fully test this out and make all the adjustments that i would like to see.... however we did a very respectable job for a team of volunteers.  Thanks to Mad Vader, LittleMikey, Sysyphe, M0rdred, Abyss, Gerhart, Fawzia, Valorian Endymion, and noosers for helping to track down these graphics issues and being relentless in seeking to optimize the size and load of this offering.

Day before yesterday we passed a silent but significant milestone on the Development Server.  We passed 10,000 posts. 

Best,

Saxondragon

don't rush things now....we wouldn't want another beta 10

saxondragon

• Prophesy of Pendor -Alchemist & Loremaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: July 23, 2010, 03:35:12 AM »
I have a little and easy question about banner : When i choose a banner, will it change all the other lord's banner ? I don't remember in 2.5 what was happening.
I am asking that because i hate to take a banner that belong to someone else already.. Also , if I decide to conquer them all, i want a banner that do not belong to any faction.

That leads me to another point. Based on the screenshot, the colour of the Pendor army are Black&white with a Gryphon as symbol ? Because i want a banner that match them ;)

( Sorry about my english, it's not my 1st language as you surely have noticed. =) )

This is tricky to answer.  There are several banners at the end of the banners that are reserved for the player and selecting them will not impact anyone.  However saying that, selecting a banner at games beginning (which in Pop, 4 of the 5 starting options give this to you), any banner you select will merely swap that choice out with another for the intended Lord.  You will never see this in game.

There are plenty of Black/White/Gold banners to choose from.. I freely admit that I went a bit overboard with the concepts around Black/White and Red.   You will like the banner selection I am sure.

@ Tsunami 
We are done and tested, but waiting for the unexpected.  This is where I wanted to be with Beta10 but we did not hit the deadline and there were many last minute changes, issues, swap outs etc.  We have worked through those and are now looking for what we missed. 

We are making the assumption that we did miss something: likely up to several big things based upon statistical probability.   But, that is the nature of this work, the complexity and the distributed nature of the development team will lend itself to hidden issues and errors.

This next week we fix those errors and with any luck we should be ready to go.  Right now my biggest concern revolves around the load we put on the game engine itself.  This extra load is causing crashes with high settings during large battles and also is clearly not playing well with the 64 bit operating systems such as windows 7.  This last week we focused a great deal of effort to alleviate that load with LOD resources.  We may add more.. it depends upon the feedback we get.

Best regards,

Saxondragon

HarryB

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: July 23, 2010, 03:56:30 AM »
@HarryB - no, Sir Alistair hasn't been left out - in the FAQ he is in the last two combinations in the text part of the companion compositions and also in the bubble on the left midway.

What I mean is that all the other companions have a link to their character descriptions down below the chart and he doesn't.

Serazu

• Squire
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: July 23, 2010, 12:29:06 PM »
Also probably my favorite voice acting moment in-game "Jatu!"

Yeah, but nothing can compare to the drunken yell of Alaric's boys before battle! Instant favorite!