Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Users who are viewing this thread

Akong

Knight at Arms
Frictional Games has now made it's new title 'Amnesia: The Dark Descent' available for pre-order. It's super cheap and if 2000 people pre-order before 31st of May we get special developer commentary included.

Frictional Games are the guys behind the Penumbra series. Definitely one of the scariest series of games out there. It utilizes the same physics-based gameplay and will presumably be just as scary.

This probably isn't going to be for everyone. Penumbra didn't have a whole lot of action and the point was to sneak past your enemies instead of fighting them. It does make for a very scary experience, something which games like FEAR and other similar titles haven't quite captured.

An interesting blog about the subject: http://frictionalgames.blogspot.com/

Here's the website if you want to look into it: http://www.amnesiagame.com/#game

Akong said:
It does make for a very scary experience, something which games like FEAR and other similar titles haven't quite captured.

I don't even understand why people talk about horror games and then mention FEAR which is like full action game with few "I'm the scary monster BoOOoo!!" scenes included.

Radalan said:
I don't even understand why people talk about horror games and then mention FEAR which is like full action game with few "I'm the scary monster BoOOoo!!" scenes included.
That's true, but it is marketed as a horror game or, at least, a shooter with horror elements which is much more appropriate as it is literally: Shoot, horror, shoot, shoot, horror, shoot, shoot, shoot.

Yet, some people find it scary even though it is extremely predictable.

What I don't like about the trailer is how stupid the AI seems to be. The player runs into a dead end, but the monster just looks around for a couple of seconds and concludes that there never was a player to begin with.
On the other hand, if I'm ever going to buy this one, the last thing I'm going to complain is how the AI didn't spot me.  :razz:

Looking forward to it, as long as there are none of those ****ing dogs  :mad:

9sbipl.jpg

I suck at scary games, yet I feel intrigued and interested in buying this game, recording myself playing it and then laugh at myself for hours.

Josef_the_Pretender said:
Did you play the demo? The enemies in Amnesia are much scarier than the infected dogs in Penumbra. :razz:
Grauuu said:
I suck at scary games, yet I feel intrigued and interested in buying this game, recording myself playing it and then laugh at myself for hours.
Do it. And don't forget to upload the video for our amusement.  :smile:

Never been good with horror games (I did manage through the first level of F.E.A.R after spoiling every scare twice), but I'm still downloading the demo. :[

EDIT: All right, did a small test run, and while I didn't actually see any monsters yet, the atmosphere almost turns to visible mass because of how dense it is.
It also made me feel like continuing my test run tomorrow. Quite an accomplishment for a horror game.
amnesia.jpg

Apparently some ATI cards have issues with the game. The framerate is at slideshow speed.

Vortex said:
Josef_the_Pretender said:
Did you play the demo? The enemies in Amnesia are much scarier than the infected dogs in Penumbra. :razz:

Ah, it wasn't the scariness, more that my enduring memory of Penumbra is standing on a crate trying to kill those bloody dogs  :smile:

Back
Top Bottom