Quick start tips for 1866

Users who are viewing this thread

Note that improving your riding beyond minimal requirement will help a lot, you will get bonuses to speed and manuver. And bowmen are the bane of all muzzle loaders everywhere

gyrobot said:
Note that improving your riding beyond minimal requirement will help a lot, you will get bonuses to speed and manuver. And bowmen are the bane of all muzzle loaders everywhere

Yes I was recommended by someone (Mouth n Hoof or Keterex, they have the same avatar lol)  to only use about 3 riding skill for companions as they are shooters and dont need speed much.
I think if they are using swords much then riding skill should be loaded up, because apart from being harder to hit and having little more charge bonus, when fighting other cavalry they can chase them down gradually instead of riding around in circles getting stabbed, theory anyway.
If you put them on mustangs though that probably wont happen as mustangs are tough but slow, Im debating using quarter horses which have good speed but less durable. Quarter-horses also have the best charge I think, 28 vs 24.

Percival Goodenough said:
Yes I was recommended by someone (Mouth n Hoof or Keterex, they have the same avatar lol)  to only use about 3 riding skill for companions as they are shooters and dont need speed much.
Bruce Campbell FTW! :grin:

Riding skill for companions is nice, but at the bottom of the priority list for me. If I don't need them as skill mules and every thing else is where I want it, then I dump their points into agility and max out riding skill. By then I usually start a new game...

It is almost a rule of thumb that AI does better on a heavy horse than a light, fast horse. In vanilla there was an exception since horse archers were rare and the ability to stay out of melee was better on a fast horse. In 1866 everyone shoots and you don't outrun a bullet anyway. A melee cavalry will have a hard time vs. the range cavalry no matter what horse he rides. His kills will come from hitting riders than come across his path in the chaos, not from running them down, so again speed is much less important than not loosing the horse. Vs. infantry speed matters less than charge and the ability to take a few hits - they WILL hit the horse with weapons or guns from close range. It is all heavy mustangs for my companions. Except for the clown, I sometimes give him a donkey for the giggles. Is there a spirited donkey in the game?

So far, I only found heavy donkeys. Which were useful in early-game, since they're dirt cheap and can easily be replaced when you used them as cover too much  :grin:

EDIT: Lucked out! Found a spirited one.
Armour: 4
Speed: 25
Manoeuvre: 31
Charge: 9
Health: 100

mouthnhoof said:
Percival Goodenough said:
Bruce Campbell FTW! :grin:

Riding skill for companions is nice, but at the bottom of the priority list for me. If I don't need them as skill mules and every thing else is where I want it, then I dump their points into agility and max out riding skill. By then I usually start a new game...

It is almost a rule of thumb that AI does better on a heavy horse than a light, fast horse. In vanilla there was an exception since horse archers were rare and the ability to stay out of melee was better on a fast horse. In 1866 everyone shoots and you don't outrun a bullet anyway. A melee cavalry will have a hard time vs. the range cavalry no matter what horse he rides. His kills will come from hitting riders than come across his path in the chaos, not from running them down, so again speed is much less important than not loosing the horse. Vs. infantry speed matters less than charge and the ability to take a few hits - they WILL hit the horse with weapons or guns from close range. It is all heavy mustangs for my companions. Except for the clown, I sometimes give him a donkey for the giggles. Is there a spirited donkey in the game?

I agree with what most of what you say but if I remember correctly "heavy" in terms of being able to push through is determined only by the charge stat.
Quarterhorses have 4 more charge than anything else, mustangs are more durable but 40 vs 44 speed and 24 vs 28 charge.
Not sure which to go with for companions yet, myself I use a Heavy Appaloosa as I like being able to turn quick when I miss oncoming cav.

This is one I keep screwing up on when I start out.  Always be sure to see who's actually in a party before you attack.  More than once I've made a solo attack on a small Looter party without checking the details only find myself against Gunslingers, Outlaws and the like.  Not pretty.

What I suspect happens is some Looters join other outlaws in attacking a stage or Vigilantes.  The Looters all die but the party gets a share of the rescued prisoners.

Hate to necro this but is this guide updated?

In my game, USA has gotten rolled twice. They typically declare war on one of the indian tribes and eventually the other tribe and Mexico. Pretty much a three way battle that idiot Grant can't win.

Indians in my game have guns, and are just as effective as Regular infantry. I've had a team of 36 Regulars, Veterans, some cavalry (I think about 8 total), get decimated by 55 Apaches (raiders, spirit warriors, and an assortment).

Bows in my game take out my guys just as equally as guns.

The whole being USA is the easiest route is tough. I can barely afford to maintain an army above 26. Just recently got a town so will have to see how it goes. Odds are having a town doesn't pay much.

Not really a dead thread as it was only a get a feel then go guide. If people really want I will repost a more complete guide. ( don't really want to but will if there is cause).

To answer your questions;

Indians do have guns and are indeed quite tough on open plains ( high percentage of cavalry). Read the tips on fighting large cavalry forces.

Bows are quite deadly at middle-short range but they do not have long range accuracy.

Maintaining huge armies isn't really possible. ( I get the feeling the devolpers don't really want you to). The idea is to have a small elite army for attacks and minimal cheap forces doing defense that your army can back up ( your army will be very busy at times).

Towns do pay well ( with one patch bug they could pay millions...or cost millions. Main reason I quit for a bit)

Keterex said:
Natives in siege battles are super simple to beat ( Hill fort ). Stand way back and plonk away... their arrows are crap at that range. Break siege and repeat. 30 men can take out 150 easy with you seriously killing half. ( This with a high injury stat which means that nearly 75 % of your casualties will be only injured where all theirs will be kills... a few hours rest and repeat )
This seems to be the exact opposite when the natives siege. My army of about 40 (all a medium-high rank too) men got beat down by what seemed to be a less ranked army of less then 10 less in size.
It sucks Especially how they seem to REALLY want to charge

"HOLD YOUR GROUND AND FIRE SOLDIER! :twisted:"
"F**k you! :evil: I'm gonna go and bash their heads in!"

realfear said:
Keterex said:
Natives in siege battles are super simple to beat ( Hill fort ). Stand way back and plonk away... their arrows are crap at that range. Break siege and repeat. 30 men can take out 150 easy with you seriously killing half. ( This with a high injury stat which means that nearly 75 % of your casualties will be only injured where all theirs will be kills... a few hours rest and repeat )
This seems to be the exact opposite when the natives siege. My army of about 40 (all a medium-high rank too) men got beat down by what seemed to be a less ranked army of less then 10 less in size.

10 beat your 40?... Where were you :wink:

Fort defence is a bit tricky at times( In native a few tanks at the ladder head could keep them busy and dying for hours). In your situation maybe let them take the high ground after a few shots then fall back and plonk away at them at a distance as they breach the wall with a couple skirmishers on the sides. A dynamite as they bunch never hurts either)

Keterex said:
realfear said:
Keterex said:

10 beat your 40?... Where were you :wink:

Fort defence is a bit tricky at times( In native a few tanks at the ladder head could keep them busy and dying for hours). In your situation maybe let them take the high ground after a few shots then fall back and plonk away at them at a distance as they breach the wall with a couple skirmishers on the sides. A dynamite as they bunch never hurts either)
I mean't 1-10 LESS then what i had XD
Though i can understand your confusion.

just a small correction about trade runs: in version 0.9.1 I made the best money with this route: Bishop's Lodge - Kuhtu - Buena Fortuna - (by steamboat) El Rio - San Casteabro - El Paso - Bishop's Lodge
where and what to buy: tequila and whisky everywhere except for Kuhtu (you sell it there for enormous profits)
canvas under 40 and building supplies under 190 except Kuhtu
mining tools everywhere except Bishop's Lodge
IMPORTANT! The Indians buy guns from you at a higher price than others, but you won't make any profit from buying guns in US and selling it to Indians, so instead sell your looted guns to Indians only.

Back
Top Bottom