Spencer Reating Rifle feels a bit powerful.

Users who are viewing this thread

insomniac said:
In 0.7 winchester was the king. Now it seems spencer is more popular.

Actually what we want is balance. We don't wan't a stand alone best gun.
In the 0.7 poll the Winchester got 14.3% of the votes, the Henry 6.4% while the Spencer only got 5.6%.  In the 0.8 poll the Spencer/Ball have 14.5% of the votes and the Winchester/Henry 9.3%.  Sure the Spencer is more popular in 0.8 but the gap between the two isn't as pronounced as in 0.7.  Or to look at it another way only 25%(less in 0.8 ) of the people who voted picked a repeater as one of their three favorite weapons.  I'd take that as a sign that balance is pretty good.

In 0.9, repeaters have taken a slight accuracy hit, so single shot guns are even more of a viable option.

Thats good to hear, and it sounds like just a subtle tweak of a couple of points or so , enough to make them an option for variety but not equal. Some already in v0.8 prefer single-shots for mounted NPCs anyway.

Due to NPCs carrying limited ammo, more powerful single-shots have their place at the times when armies are using up all their ammo first instead of charging right away.

I pretty much exclusively use a Burnside or similar, except for in sieges. I go through ammo more slowly, and I can kill people in less shots and miss less because of its superior accuracy. Not to mention there's no super long reload time; just a couple of seconds between shots for inserting the next cartridge.

I have been fallen in love with the Snyder-Enfield recently. Have been a Spencer fan before, but when your long gun skill goes above say 250 and after joining a faction you are getting into bigger fights, for me the accuracy and lethality of a single shot starts to outweight the Rate-of-Fire advantage of a repeater.
While as a beginning character, magazine capacity appears to be more important then precision, so even the Volcanic can be very useful for increasing your long gun skill. Pending market availability, my gun history usually goes:
Random single-shot Breachloader --> (Volcanic) --> Winchester/Henry --> Ball/Spencer --> Sharps/Snyder
while occasionally carrying repeater and single-shot at the same time.

For me any of these guns have its uses, depending on the circumstances. Can't stress enough how much I like the fact that each gun has its own character  :cool: 

I don't think I can use single-shots anymore. I'm just far too used to just facing a group of enemies, zig-zagging in on my horse, shooting as many people as I can manage and riding out the other end to reload. Quick, dirty, brutal, wasteful...but oh so amazing  :cool:

For me any of these guns have its uses, depending on the circumstances. Can't stress enough how much I like the fact that each gun has its own character 

+1. That is exactly what they want to hear/Want to emulate.

Our job is to dispute that and have a laugh while trying :smile:

Single shots are very useful in sieges. There is no inventory box, so you have conserve ammo as much as possible.

There had been several times, i got shot in the head while searhcing ammo on the ground. :razz:

I prefer single-shot rifles for siege attack, while i still prefer repeaters for siege defense, especially when the enemy has outnumbered us.

I just noticed - I have a high stockpiling skill and a HUEG collection of highest-usable-level rifle ammunition for me and my companions. I suspect my love for repeaters might be a little biased due to that  :oops:

Alright, after much testing and gnashing of teeth, I'll say that even on foot, and with a merely average proficiency of 150, the Spencer repeating rifle, once acquired, is the best weapon in the game, bar none. The Winchester, Henry and Volcanic rifles suffer from slow reload (thus mitigating the Spencer's disadvantage there), and all the single-shots are too slow to compare, with their advantage in power being insufficient to compensate. Pistols fail to compete entirely, since their only strong points are speed (In which the Spencer is about equal to most of them) and ammunition quantity (Which they make unsatisfactory use of, due to their low power).

I cannot think of any scenario in which any rifle or pistol would ever be superior to the Spencer  :sad:

(Shotguns, Bows, Explosives, Throwables, Horses and Melee weapons I'll consider niche weapons for special situations.)

ammm well, yes and not,
as you would have to measure the barrel by the groove or the  crest of the rifle
giving different numbers  :razz:
maybe crest of rifles is 52 and and grooves is 54 or so?
just to keep pressure down.

But, anyway, i used always spencer (in game at least)
and seemed a bit weird that as soon as I start a battle screen
i (not always but sometimes) can hit the guys on the other side with it.
(yes, aim very high) dunno what kinda disperssion spencer had 
besides trajectory issues at that distance.

That i would believe from a Sharps.  :mrgreen:

Nocturno said:
ammm well, yes and not,
as you would have to measure the barrel by the groove or the  crest of the rifle
giving different numbers  :razz:
maybe crest of rifles is 52 and and grooves is 54 or so?
just to keep pressure down.

But, anyway, i used always spencer (in game at least)
and seemed a bit weird that as soon as I start a battle screen
i (not always but sometimes) can hit the guys on the other side with it.
(yes, aim very high) dunno what kinda disperssion spencer had 
besides trajectory issues at that distance.

That i would believe from a Sharps.  :mrgreen:

Most rifles back then were accurate to a couple hundred meters (a bit less than the size of an M&B battle map)

A bit more of 200 meters for the battle map... well i though was more  :oops:

I was used to shoot muzzleloaders with some regularity,
had a Tabatiere .69, and some friends from the club
had some towers 1768 in cal 69,  BBs, a BB India musket, b.s roberts cal. 58,
several revolvers, a SS pistol or two, and so on.
Many a time fired winchesters 1892  in 44-40, the most common around, factory and hand loaded ammo.
Never a henry or any of those rimfire from that period, but a Rem rolling block
in 43 Spanish (black powder), similar to a , say, 44-60 from that era, and of course 45-70s.

I was wondering about a cartridge of such performances, as of .56 spencer,
could do at long ranges. Some guys were working on handloads for the centerfire,
and got something (if i remember) around 1300-1400 fps for the modern Rapine 350gr bullet.
Thats pretty impressive. And got some nice grouping @ 100 and 150 m.
Still, again, i never managed to fired those, so i cant quite tell my own experience.

I saw those tiny tiny human figures...  :roll:

btw, i stumbled upon an old debate over a 1500-yard shot with a sharps and so.
and the “Why don’t you take a crack at them with your ‘Big-Fifty’, Billy?”
on billy dixon shot which from a sharps 50-90 2 1/2" dropped a mounted native chief,
at 1538 yards, finishing the 2nd battle of adobe walls.

o man, i always talk too much :razz:

sexy both in game and handling those nice carbines,
as i said fired those just in game, so far.  :roll:

In game i always use that one, found no better weapon. :mrgreen:

yeah spencer is better than winchester i think. But in some sieges i prefer snider enfield or scoped sharps.

When the distances are very long, a little more accuracy and damage comes handy.

In the upcoming version, spencer will have a sexy looking competitor: Tripplet scott repeating rifle.

ooo sweeet
a good one indeed.

May I suggest some possible candidates?

*The artemus wheeler, a  revolving flintlock 7-shot in caliber .51

51caliber-7barrels-right.jpg

* Lee Single Shot Carbine

LEE.jpg

* The J. D. Greene Rifle, Underhammer Bolt Action Rifle , cal .54, maybe the 1st bolt action ever

greeneaxn.jpg

* The Collier Five-Shot flintlock revovling rifle in cal. 35

d4833575x.jpg

* The Ellis-Jennings repeating flintlock rifles, cal. 44

The 4-shot

57427.jpg

and the  12-shot with detachable stock
0468_1.jpg

some went into war and some underwent testing by army.

I've mentioned the Greene, I think I said it would have to a ridiculously high weapon master requirement in the game, thanks to its absurdly elaborate/complex/overcomplicated firing mechanism.

Back
Top Bottom