Strategy Advisor Preview and features

Users who are viewing this thread

Cyclohexane

Knight at Arms
Alright guys, I want to show ya'll some of what I have been working on and let you know that my work should be completed by this weekend.  In addition to the new Guilds, I just finished tweaking the Imperial Expeditionary Force and tweaking the shininess level of all 5 SOD factions for a more realistic look.  I highly recommend you run the graphical enhancements mod!

OK,
Back on topic.  Here are some of the features of the strategy advisor:
16d2230560444ee7f873eee89919f9dd5g.jpg

1.) He will have a troop tree for every faction including villagers and random mercenaries.  The troop tree will look similar to other pop up screens in the game (old photo look) and be available at any time.  It will now be easy to start a game and understand how each troop upgrades (yes all of them).  After studying this, you may decide this is not the civilization for me and can restart early instead of spending many ingame months before deciding you do not like playing an archer civ (for example). 

2.) He has dialog that describes every faction in the game and extensive background story how he knows all of this.  I spent a lot of time on it, so I am biased when I say it is bad ass. 

3.) A new face texture with a missing eye (his background story discusses this).  The missing eye is on a different side than the black army guild master.  Yes you can use this texture on your character if you desire.  It looks better up close in a castle… screenshots always look worse than the game. 

4.) New civilian noble cloths

5.) He starts with your starting party and later in the game there is a trigger that will cause him to join your council (so will always have access to troop trees). 

6.) He has many different random messages as greetings.  All of them are strategy related.  For example, here are a few greetings before you take your first castle.
A. Do not swear an oath of loyalty to any of these local kings my lord.  It is tempting but this strategy will fail.  Instead, siege a castle as soon as you acquire enough men to take the territory from one of these unsuspecting lords.  The people will hate you now but love you when your faithful men prevent the Imperial Legion from creating dog food of their children. 

I recommend you wait until they are at war with each other and strike the weakest civilization at the gates of their castle while the lord is absent.  We can use mercenaries to fill our ranks until we can rally more troops and nobles from our homeland. 

B. My classification of troops may be different than what their homeland considers them to be.  I may consider a unit to be the backbone, while their Lords incorrectly call them veteran.  I rank troops based on their experience in battle, not their gear.  Levels 1 to 9 are recruits, level 10 to 14 are the backbone average run of the mill troops, level 15 to 19 are veterans, level 20 to 24 are elites, and finally level 25+ are legendary. 

The dashed vertical lines represent different classifications of troops (i.e. melee infantry, ranged infantry, melee cavalry, and ranged cavalry).  If a versatile troop crosses over the dashed lines, it is possible they will come to battle as one or the other.  For example, a melee infantry troop that crosses over into ranged infantry will often come to battle with some sort of ranged projectile he may use from time to time. 

His greetings will change after you take your first castle.  I thought those were very important and should be seen because I always see people asking questions about serving under a lord and this or that is not working.  Post your ideas for cool strategy advice here.  It has to be relatively short because it is a greeting, but if you have something I didn’t think of and is useful, I can include it.    I already have a lot, but the more the merrier.  Will give you a reason to keep coming back. 

7.) He will wear the gear of your starting faction and look like one of your troops regardless of what faction you choose (i.e.  zerrikanians or adenian will wear completely different gear).  He is fairly high level and a good soldier.  Not quite a faith troop but definately a legendary warrior.  He will be very helpful taking your first castle (6 in tactics and decent skills). 

I cannot take all the credit, Kuba was instrumental in getting all the code working properly and always great to work with. 

So I’ll answer the question, when is it coming out.  Soon guys, very soon….

COOL!

Some tips that new players do not know about, or forget:
1. He should give advice about using regiments. Many players new to SoD do not know how to bring enough troops to take a castle in the early game.
2. A good tip is about troop wages. Mounted troops are much more expensive and are not better in sieges. Advise the player to use primarily foot soldiers in garrison and siege, while the mounted troops are very powerful in the open field. Leadership reduces wages considerably!
3. Tip the player about training. To build a strong army you need to train the troops. Having many trainers in your party will turn your peasants into hardened soldiers quickly, before they are thrown into battle.

I am sure you can rephrase these in a more interesting and colorful way.

Arzeal said:
1 tiny little suggestion: can we get a "she" instead of a "he"? :mrgreen:
bah, this is before the false invention of "women's rights", how the hell would any woman have any good strategic advice. :grin:
anyways,  maybe he could discuss the pros/cons of various basic tactics, e.g stand on a hill and arch them to death vs, say a cavalry charge, could help the true newbies a little

Arzeal said:

This isn't tiny at all! The clothes are tailored, the face is just so, the dialogue is written!

And that Strategy Advisor is beautiful enough without boobs. Just gaze into his empty eye socket and tell me you aren't inspired to follow that man to the gates of Hell!

now come to think of it, there arent any proper clothing to make our toon or our party members wear. normal clothing i mean. male clothing for men, women clothing for women, noble or commoner. its as if we are living in a world that doesnt wear normal stuff during the day.

lords and realms, if i remember right, had such vanity clothing. cant we include some like that in sod ?

Sibilance said:
Arzeal said:

This isn't tiny at all! The clothes are tailored, the face is just so, the dialogue is written!

And that Strategy Advisor is beautiful enough without boobs. Just gaze into his empty eye socket and tell me you aren't inspired to follow that man to the gates of Hell!

I'm glad you guys replied because I just didn't have the energy to...

Back
Top Bottom