Language

Users who are viewing this thread

The first one I did guessed right that my native language was Portuguese. Turns I had misunderstood some questions, and now I've done it again.

Our top three guesses for your English dialect:
1. US Black Vernacular / Ebonics
2. American (Standard)
3. Singaporean

Our top three guesses for your native (first) language:
1. English
2. Dutch
3. Swedish

Well. :lol:

AWdeV said:
Now I'm really curious what this silly thing uses to determine dutchitude.

I imagine if you chose sentences with grammar resembling that of X language, it uses that as a basis to suggest what your mother language is.

Remember that Dutch is linguistically the closest language to English. Not counting stuff like Scots or Old English, of course.

Pimple_of_Pixels said:
AWdeV said:
Now I'm really curious what this silly thing uses to determine dutchitude.

I imagine if you chose sentences with grammar resembling that of X language, it uses that as a basis to suggest what your mother language is.
Or lack thereof. Seems the English-Dutch-Swedish combo is rather flattering.

(Ektor was a bit faster, but didn't say they're also supposed to be exposed to it a lot)

LOL

1. American (Standard)
2. Singaporean
3. US Black Vernacular / Ebonics

1. Romanian
2. English
3. Vietnamese

Romanian & Vietnamese o_O  Interestingly I used to live in Singapore at one point in time  :razz:

Eктωρ said:
Remember that Dutch is linguistically the closest language to English. Not counting stuff like Scots or Old English, of course.

Nope, Frisian is. Which, while a language in the netherlands, is not a dutch language. :razz:

Voilá.

Paronomasia12 said:
It judges you on whether you speak with a shilly Dutch akshent.

British place names' toponyms are so simple (true of other countries aswell). You don't need to be a genius to realise that Norwich means "Northern settlement", Cambridge "Bridge over the river Cam" and Boston comes from "Botwulf's stone". I even live in a town called "the settlement by the yawning estuary". Wikipedia lists some generic British and Irish forms of place names.

Apparently I don't have a shilly dutch akshent in my written English, despite being a shilly dutchman myshelf.

Also, Dutch and Frisian definitely have the same kind of toponyms going on. Amsterdam is named after the dam on the river Amstel, Rotterdam is named after the dam on the river Rotte, The Hague is a frenchified form of "den haag" which means "the hedge". (older name for the city is 's-Gravenhage which means the count's hedge)

1. English (England)
2. Welsh (UK)
3. Scottish (UK)
1. English
2. Hungarian
3. Chinese
I can't possibly imagine English, Hungarian and Chinese are that closely related to each other. Not surprised about the dialects, however. Whenever I try to mimic an American accent, I end up sounding like a character from True Blood.

It seems in Spain they use the Spanish Subjunctive tense more than usual.

It's something in Spanish that I've come to find very interesting how Latin America seems to talk in a more literal, less inquisitive and more certain style, while Spain comes off as the opposite.

Then there's a place like Chile, where everything gets the -ito suffix (it makes the noun 'small', so 'carne' is meat, but 'carnita' is 'little meat') which makes the Chileans come off as humble. In Argentina it's the opposite, they make everything sound bigger.

Just something I've noticed from speaking with people from those places. Thought it was interesting and worth sharing.

1. English (England)
2. Welsh (UK)
3. Scottish (UK)

1. English
2. Hungarian
3. Chinese

Why the **** does it think I'm either a Southern poof or a sheepshagger before a drunken Northerner?

1. Singaporean
2. US Black Vernacular / Ebonics
3. American (Standard)

1. Finnish
2. Greek
3. German

Interesting :lol:

Our top three guesses for your English dialect:???:

1. Singaporean
2. Australian
3. New Zealandish

Our top three guesses for your native (first) language:???:

1. Arabic
2. Chinese
3. Greek
The irony.

Yeah, I did it and it called me a Romanian. I don't think I've ever been so severely insulted on the internet before.

Orchid said:
I can't possibly imagine English, Hungarian and Chinese are that closely related to each other.
The next ones on the list probably would have been Urdu, Aleut, and the one with the clicks and whistles spoken by those black hobbits.

Back
Top Bottom