SOUTH RHEGED

Towns: Caer Maunwid

Castles:
Caer Legionis
Caer Robais

Villages:
Lyme
Dwfr
Rumcofan (saxon name. South Rhegne was invaded for Edwin of Deira)
Ced
Eclesia Hyll
Rheged Dale

Caer Wenddoleu had be conquest for Alt Clut in my mod (year: 634)

You can use it if u need.

They are usual fonts: Nennius, Beda, Interpretations in brythonic, Annales Cambriae, Taliesin song, St Gildas...

Un saludo

Hi, good list.
However, one major point: South Rheged never existed.

The heart of the kingdom of Rheged wasn't apparently the Solway region, but the Rhinns of Galloway, with a possible capital at Dunragit (Din Rheged ?). Several petty kingdoms are known in Cumbria and Salway, including Gwenddoleu's kingdom, and Craven or Crafu, maybe the kingdom of Dunaut Bwr.
Under Urien Rheged may have reached its maximal expansion, while his famous king gathered many kingdoms of the north in alliance and may have acted as an overking.

Check Mike McCarthy, Rheged: an Early Historic Kingdom near the Solway, Proc Soc Antiq Scot, 132 (2002), 357–381
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/adsdata/PSAS_2002/pdf/vol_132/132_357_381.pdf

Interesting, i didn´t know that book, thanks u.

True, it is clear that references to Rheged need tweezers (I hope that this expression exists in English  :lol:), We have few most that Hen Ogledd, Nenius (about Urien) or Taliesin when he speaks of 'Ruler of Rheged' (about Urien also).
Scholars speak of a kingdom around Carlisle, with a possible subsequent extension of Galloway (din Rheged. That this was the capital at the beginning is a little risky, but when Rheged began to disintegrate in the seventh century may arise several " Powers "  :roll:)

Regarding the south, everything is speculative, and there is a terrible vacuum in the area difficult to fill. There is a Llywarch's kingdom and others, but there is no solid basis.

South Reged seemed me less bad (The zone was conquest (or tribute) for Deira in early seventh century) , but I'm open to suggestions.

Sorry my english,it  is difficult to explain, I hope you understand.

No problem. There is definatly a separate cultural identity in Solway region/Cumbria and in Galloway where true Rheged heartlands seems to lie. Cumbria and the Hadrian wall area was a region under roman military rule for many years and it's quite possible some post-roman rulers had their ancestry in the last local roman commanders. Some roman fortress were reoccupied, such as Birdoswald/Banna where a timber hall was built. In that region there is no evidence however for the use of hillforts.
In Galloway, and north of the wall generally speaking the culture seems to be quite different. Most known defended settlements beeing hillforts.

If you want a 'southern' kingdom then Crafu (Craven) seems to be most indicated. It was set on the northern boundary of Elmet, in the Penines, so it's likely the real 'South Rheged'. The kingdom of Llywarch Hen could possibly be the area around Carlisle. Now there is little proof about the historicity of Llywarch in comparison with other characters. Certainly the Brittonic kingdoms of the area, except Alt Cluit, were overshadowed by the growing power of what was becoming Northumbria. They kept a different identity and few received any germanic settlement (even in Bernicia there was no massive settlement but more a general adoption of anglo-saxon culture mixed with British native elements), but don't seem to be significant power by the 7th century.

Crafu? Yes, same as the area more or less, can serve perfectly. I have to check documentation and dates.

The idea is to create a zone "empty of power," but under the influence of Deira. Bede said that Edwin conquered Elmet (referred to only as conquest itself Elmet) and put other areas under tribute and installing Anglos (-settlers?, Warriors?, Perhaps both), in them, as the case may be Crafu / south Regher (that I'm trying to send with the mixture of names of settlements in other places like Hwicce also)

With the rise of Oswald and his great victory over Cadwallon in 634 in Denisesburna, the kingdoms of northern Britons seem doomed to fall under the yoke of Bernicia and Deira (Northumbria future). This is the time when the mod starts.

Edwin and Cadwallon were figures impressive. It is certainly an exciting time and it is well suited to the style of game Mount & Blade. What times when you could create a kingdom with an army of three hundred men!  :grin:

Back
Top Bottom