B Tutorial Animation No Assumed Skill: Making and Implementing Your Own Animations

Users who are viewing this thread

For me, it was absolutely necessary. Not so much for smoothness - all animations will be smooth within themselves - but for realism of the movements, yeah.

Smoothness really comes from the way the animations are designed to fit with the mechanics. If you want the character to do one attack after another for example, you need to design each attack so that they will flow together.

Read the rest of the paragraph  :razz:

That step isn't necessary. It's just to teach you a bit about how the animations are set up. Just skip it and go on with the rest of the tutorial.

ohh right. Some of the actions that i wanted to use for reference, like 2h swing, arent there. But no worries, i'll be working from scratch anyway.

Also, should i be able to see a mesh when moving the bones around? All i see are the green crosses, but no body

Yeah, you should be able to see a mesh. I think my tutorial discusses that. If you read the whole thing you probably won't meet anything that's not dealt with. Let me know if you do though.

I followed your steps as closely as possible. I still only get nodes when importing something like "anim_human_ready_thrust_twohanded.smd", but I can see the whole mesh when I import the "skel_human_skin_A.smd." Additionally, in the first smd the f curve has a bunch of coloured squares all the way across the line, whereas the latter smd has them only where i put key frames, like you explain in the steps.
Sof or clarification, which do you open when you want to animate from scratch? I've been using the skel_human_skin...

Did you ever have a crazy spinning wrist problem?? My simple 2h slashright animation keeps wanting to twirl the right wrist 360 degrees even though no such thing exists in the scene.

It usually happens in game at the beginning and the end of the animation, when the character goes from standing still to holding the swing, and also between finishing the swing back to standing still

Sounds like it's happening during the blending between animations, not in the animation that you actually created. I'm not really sure how to fix that, but maybe you could just go into the animation editor and subtract 360 degrees of rotation from all keyframes for the wrist? I don't know what program you're using, but you should be able to do this to all keyframes simultaneously using the animation curves.

Cookie-cookies-161527_1193_911.jpg
  :lol:
Thanks a ton for this great guide, really makes it sound do-able!  :mrgreen:

@Ulter:
http://www.moddb.com/downloads/autodesk-softimage-mod-tool-75
please if anyone asked where to get it, just google it for love's sake.
Your welcome

@Papa Lazarou
For some reason when I play my animation, the character doesn't move(when the hitbox is checked the hitboxes are far off and all sort of balled up), and in the data box it says the # of bones are 22 instead of 20, where do you think the problem is located at and what do I have to do to finally get a "working" animation to play?

Every time when I export a animation from brf and import it back openbrf crash, the same with animations from the mod tool, why?
and wtf just happened here:

anyone know where i can find the animation for the weapon sheathed , like when its on the back i want to change that. But for some reason i cant find it.

Nice tutorial, even tho it's very old it is still valid and probably the best tut about M&B animation.

Back
Top Bottom