B Tutorial Animation No Assumed Skill: Making and Implementing Your Own Animations

Users who are viewing this thread

Thank you MUCH!!! I was about to lose my noggin, I created a Mesh that was intended to be large, but when I tryed to add it to the Human skeleton the Hands werent attached properly, So i Think if I just move the arm bones and such up a little the rest of it should align properly! (hopefully anyway)

I can't get it export my skeleton? it exports it as one bone? everytime I move the abdomen bone up on the Y axis? any thoughts?

skeletons might not respond well to translations, I should have mentioned that, but I wasn't sure.
I will try to do exactly what your doing and report back.

Im having some serous problems with exporting the smd file. Every time no matter what I export as far as an animation, or even if I just export it without doing anything I get the same result, which is that there are either NO bones, Or just one in the Center of the floor in OpenBrf. Ive exported it as I should, is it the Software? cuz every time I import the smd. it tells me argument with source? ANYONE  have any thoughts? really need help..Thanks much!

This is better than best, I already got animations and I need to implement it, so I just needed to know how, now I do, thanks.

I've got a problem with exporting the smd file. There simply IS no "Export SMD..." I already created the test animation. Did I just miss something?

smda.jpg

Quick question.
Can more than one animation be made for a certain movement?
Say I want my thrust to be 2/3 animations that occur randomly. Is that possible?

Outlawed said:
Say I want my thrust to be 2/3 animations that occur randomly. Is that possible?
Yes. Look into stand or cheer animation (I don't remember exactly which). All other actions can be defined like that list, with several animations and game picking randomly from them.

If you want to edit only txt files, look into 1st link in my sig

GetAssista said:
Outlawed said:
Yes. Look into stand or cheer animation (I don't remember exactly which). All other actions can be defined like that list, with several animations and game picking randomly from them.

If you want to edit only txt files, look into 1st link in my sig

That is very good to hear.
I shall embark on a total re-animation project for one of the mods i've been watching. But first to contact the maker.

Edit: I've ran into a problem. I've downloaded the Autodesk Softimage program, but everytime i try to add the ValveSrouce plug-in, the software reports its already installed and that I have to uninstall it before re-installing.
The problem is I don't get Import smd anywhere on my ValveSource drop down menu.

Papa Lazarou, that's a great tutorial!

A minor thing: you don't need to reformat SMD files exported by openBrf.
Just edit it with any editor smarter than notepad. Basically any other plain text editor will see it formatted already.

(explanation: these SME files needed to be exported in unix text-format instead of dos text-format, otherwise some --I can't remember which-- application would not understand them.)

Even lesser thing: you can edit and add your own skins in openbrf. That's why you are given a choice to choose which one to use. For example, you can make a skin with your fav armour and weapon. Useful, for example, to make animations.

For people running 64-bit windows, DO NOT install the 64 version of the XSI software.
It doesn't work fully with the Valve Source Engine, and hence obstructs you from editing, importing and exporting certain .smd files.

Oop, I've neglected my thread!

Ray551 said:
I've got a problem with exporting the smd file. There simply IS no "Export SMD..." I already created the test animation. Did I just miss something?
Judging by the screenshot, something has gone wrong when you imported the skeleton. The vertices shouldn't be coloured like that. Import the skeleton again (and again and again) until those coloured dots go away.

mtarini said:
Papa Lazarou, that's a great tutorial!

A minor thing: you don't need to reformat SMD files exported by openBrf.
Just edit it with any editor smarter than notepad. Basically any other plain text editor will see it formatted already.

(explanation: these SME files needed to be exported in unix text-format instead of dos text-format, otherwise some --I can't remember which-- application would not understand them.)

Even lesser thing: you can edit and add your own skins in openbrf. That's why you are given a choice to choose which one to use. For example, you can make a skin with your fav armour and weapon. Useful, for example, to make animations.
Ah, thank you for this! I'll add that note about the text files to the tutorial.

Outlawed said:
For people running 64-bit windows, DO NOT install the 64 version of the XSI software.
It doesn't work fully with the Valve Source Engine, and hence obstructs you from editing, importing and exporting certain .smd files.
Thanks for this heads-up, Outlawed. I'll add this to the tutorial as well.

Now I cannot get the skeleton to import properly. I've done it some 20 times and I still get the colored vertices. Any ideas?

Papa Lazarou said:
Have you tried exporting it with OpenBRF again?

Yes I have actually. I've done that several times. Still not working =(
And the weird thing is that everytime I import the Skeleton it 'morphs' differently.

Yes, that's the problem that coincides with the coloured vertices. Unfortunately, at this stage I don't have a solution other than to just try importing the skeleton again and again (clearing the scene or starting a new one each time) until it works.

Strangely if i try to do the unfold of the animation the openBRF goes not reponding for ages. It creates the new TXT but with an abnormal size, 1,88 GB plus...

any ideas ?

Back
Top Bottom