New Game Mode: Hunt (Mod out, check release thread!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We came up with this one last night. It's quirky, but pretty fun. Here's how it works:

Probably the ideal map for this out of the current crop is the one we started playing it on, namely the hidden scene 6. It has enough cover and close spaces to give the beast(s) a sporting chance. You'll probably want to play this on a DM server (no team indicators), but you do have two "teams": the hunters and the beast(s). I'd say a good balance is up to four hunters to a beast, but it can vary; 4 vs 2 might be pretty nightmarish for the hunting party. What do these teams mean?

Hunters
Armed only with a single ranged weapon. Crossbows are the most sporting choice, due to the reload time, but we used bows as well. Play it by ear, see what feels right.
Always wear clothing to distinguish themselves as hunters. Wearing armor would be a bit strange, this being sport, not war. In any case, it'll just weigh you down.
No iron fist blocking the beast's talons. Unsporting.
The hunters hunt the beast(s).

Tips for hunters
Stick together. If the beast catches you alone, you're in trouble. Then again, no guts, no glory.
If the beast comes amongst you: scatter to the four winds. Chances are good he'll only get one of you that way.
Should you wish to heroically try to buy your comrades some time to flee, or if you believe the beast to be near death, you can try to fight the beast hand-to-hand, but be prepared for a swift death. Then again, should you prevail, I've no doubt tales of your exploits shall be related at the hunters' lodge for years to come.

Beast(s)
Armed only with a short, one-handed weapon. Say, a short sword or a one-handed axe.
No gear of any kind besides the single weapon. Your bare skin marks you out as the hunters' quarry.
The beast(s) hunts the hunters.

Tips for beasts
You'll probably die more often than the hunters. Don't worry. It's worth it.
Keep moving. The only time you shouldn't be sprinting full-speed is when you're lurking in ambush.
Lead them on. Give them tantalizing glimpses from afar -- they'll (almost) never hit you at range. Make sure you always know where they are, but they never quite know where you are. Then, when the time is right, spring your trap.
When you see a chance, take it. You might not get another. Remember, you can expect to survive one hit. Very rarely two. Never three.

Switching teams
Generally, a good time to switch is when the beast gets a kill. He can swap out with the guy he took down, or someone else who wants to give it a go. No pressure, though. As long as everyone is happy where they are, it's all good. When you do switch, make sure everyone knows.

The most important rule
Use sense and have fun. This should be challenging and enjoyable for both teams. Neither team should stay still for an extended period of time -- this isn't a waiting game. Keep it fair, keep it moving, keep it fun.

Tally ho, what!

holy **** this sound fantastic-  im attempting to thing of a scenario to put to it for it to be an official gamemode-  how about  a mass prisoner escape, they all go into the woods, and a group of crossbowmen get sent to kill them.

if not, this needs to be made into a mod on full release, with the two factions (beasts and hunters) with well ballenced stats and equipment-  hunters being very slow but packing a punch,  beasts with very very high athletics.

EDIT:  medieval rage-virus outbreak anyone? XD

Yeah, it's pretty awesome! I like your idea too! In fact, maybe I'll step up and make a mod for it... or not. :razz:

We are going to be playing right now if anyone is interested.

okiN said:
I declare myself both King Beast and Great White Hunter, and dare any man to try to take either title from me. :smile:
I can let you have yer Hunter tit, but I think of myself as the King Beast.

Also: Story Behind the gamemode

So, There was me, OkiN, Duraham and some other guys fistfighting the other evening, When one of the guys spawns with crossbow. He aimed at us, so OkiN spawned with a sword to kill this bastard, but hit me instead in the middle of a fight, he got the other guy too, though. When I spawned again, I took the xbow, from the cold dead hands of the bastard and shot OkiN with it, just for the laughs.
Well, then all the other fistfighters became mad at me, and started chasing me. As I was running I dropped the xbow, because it slowed me down a bit, then one of the followers picked it up and shot me in the arse with it. And soon after that they were all chasing me with ranged weapons. "Beast Hunt" was born.

Weren said:
I can let you have yer Hunter tit, but I think of myself as the King Beast.

You may be the progenitor of the man-beast race, but I will continue to consider myself the apex predator of the IRC hunting grounds until proven wrong. :wink:

But yeah, it was all a bit random. First it was just me and Duraham chasing after Weren, then Ursca joined the fun. We soon decided the hunters shouldn't have melee weapons, Weren picked up a sword of his own, and the chase started to take on a new aspect of danger. When he got his first kill, I switched places with him and gave the hunters a taste of Hell. :lol:

Looks like great fun to me :smile:. Makes me think of Savage 1, though humans (hunters) were competent enough in melee there too.

It's kind of like Hunt mode in AvP2, only the pred has no cloak, only gets to use wristblades, and team swaps are reversed. And obviously the human team doesn't have as much high-impact weaponry, or motion sensors. :smile:

okiN said:
It's kind of like Hunt mode in AvP2, only the pred has no cloak, only gets to use wristblades, and team swaps are reversed. And obviously the human team doesn't have as much high-impact weaponry, or motion sensors. :smile:

this just gave me a fantastic idea for another gamemode,  how about when we can mod,  make a gamemode like this-  a supernatural mod, where a group of witchhunters are after an invisible deamon :grin:

they are armed with xbows and holy weaponry, and the invisible deamon has an insta-kill knife :grin:  (probably much better on paper than it actualy would be tbh :razz: hunting wildmen fits with warband gameplay much better)

Played with you earlier Okin with this game mode. Oh god was it fun! It was funny tho watching people shoot there own team mates while they paniced, including me  :oops:

Btw i was "The_ugly_chick" haha.

Seriously, I dont think a forest scene'd be so great. We had great time in scene5, It's a huge city. The beasts were jumping from the rooftops to the poor hunters below.  :smile:

Just played this for a few minutes. Was fun, but rather unplayable:
mb132.jpg

Often when someone came close, my ping rose to 700, I couldn't even draw my bow -_-. The nock animation was just replayed over and over, my enemy made some very strange moves and then I was dead without even an animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom