92% Whiskey?

Users who are viewing this thread

<deniz>

What they claim: Quadruple distillation to get 92%-alcohol-whiskey! Well, this is not for boys!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2059950,00.html

http://www.bruichladdich.com/web_cam.htm

I don't think that at 92% you can call it whiskey any more...
96% is pure ethanol forming azeotrope with water. To remove that 4% of water, some benzene is added. It becomes 100% ethanol with small addition of benzene.
Cougar, what the heck do they have in Estonian liquor?! It should either drop to 96% upon contact with air (which contains water) or it should have some benzene or other organic solvent added - becoming quite toxic!

I've had some 96% pirtu that a friend got from Estonia. drink it with orange juice and you don't even taste it. treacherous stuff.

Worbah said:
I've had some 96% pirtu that a friend got from Estonia. drink it with orange juice and you don't even taste it. treacherous stuff.
Screwdriver! A most diabolic way of getting sex with a girl without her ever knowing about that :twisted:
96% sounds too much for screwdriver though. Above 20% alcohol, one can faintly feel some alcohol in screwdriver. If you want to get someone drunk, make it 10% - the victim will not realize she is drinking alcohol :twisted:
Sure, you can dilute 96% to 10% with orange juce but then again, Vodka will be cheaper...
And 96%... Sounds like pure alcohol to me :grin:

If you hear someone say he got drunk by drinking 96% whisky, he's most likely less than 16 years old and obviously lying. You would have to do some serious watering before it becomes drinkable. I'm no expert in liquors, but I don't think 96% whisky is even possible.

I remember when on ninth grade some kid went to estonia and brought with himself a bottle of 96% pirtu(well that's what we call it in Finland) with him. We splashed some of it on the floor and set it on fire. What followed was everyone laughing their asses off when the kid who set it on fire tried to put it out by stomping on it and panicking "a little" when his shoe caught fire.

As I've said, 96% is an industrial grade CH3-CH2-OH :grin:
This **** is toxic. Theoreticaly, a person can consume that, but he WILL get hurt.

What they do in expensive restaurants is pour some of it over the cake and set the cake on fire. looks cool :grin:

NikkTheTrick said:
This **** is toxic. Theoreticaly, a person can consume that, but he WILL get hurt.

What they do in expensive restaurants is pour some of it over the cake and set the cake on fire. looks cool :grin:

Cake? Usually they do it on stakes.

Ingolifs said:
It would probably evaporate before it got down your gullet.
No. Ethanol does not evaporate that fast. Sure, it will evaporate if you spill it and it's a thin film on the ground, but in a glass it will stay for a while. And once it's in your mouth... If you ever try it, make sure you sip it little by little. A shot of that will leave you screaming on the floor, clutching your injured throat.

Nahkuri said:
NikkTheTrick said:

Cake? Usually they do it on stakes.
And bananas.

NikkTheTrick said:
96% is pure ethanol forming azeotrope with water.
My wife said almost the same (she is a chemist) when I showed her that webpage. Are you chemists (assuming you are a chemist, too) being given lectures on how to make schmooze look more scientific :razz:
Anyway, I don't feel like tasting that freak; at least not before someone tries it first!

Nairagorn said:
I like my whiskey and scotch but... dunno bout this.
This is a rare example of the cases when conservatism takes humankind one step further: gives you a chance to have one more sip before you loose gusto.

You don't drink what? Alcohol or cooking spirit?

How could you managed to sober up? Or have you managed at all?

(****, four sentences and four question marks in a single post?)

I am a chemist :cool:
The toughtest I ever drank was 60% and it was nasty.
96% is the highest you can have without adding highly toxic and cancerogenic substances (we have 100% ethanol in lab, but it contains some benzene).

Sobering up is not a problem : how drunk you are depends on the amount of alcohol entering your bloodstream, quality of alcohol (well, that's mostly about hangover) and the rate at which it enters (carbonated alcohol is absorbed faster. DO NOT MIX BEER AND VODKA).
Therefore, you should get about equaly drunk from 3 shots of vodka and 1 shot of that 96% stuff - provided that everything is absorbed. Since 96% stuff can make you vomit realy fast, you may remain sober after a shot of it - though you would wish you were drunk!
The problem is that while vodka is relatively gentle to your throat (you do feel burning, but just a little bit), ethanol is corrosive. It will feel like drinking acid! If you are not experienced, and gulp a large amount (say, a shot) of 96% stuff, inside of your mouth and throat will be covered in burns. You will REALY regret taking a shot.

<deniz> said:
You don't drink what? Alcohol or cooking spirit?

alcohol. for years.

the cooking (whiskey? or something) was pretty ****ing nuts. god it was awful. it was mixed with a glass of dry ginger ale though, but it still tasted through.

What willpower!

But I'm not surprised. What you describe sounds like a guaranteed way of quiting drinking alcohol.

Back
Top Bottom