[Werewolf: Archives] Werewolf Allstars: (Werewolves Win!)

Users who are viewing this thread

CryoNomad

Llandy was here
Grandmaster Knight
Game: Werewolf Allstars

Alive:
  • Adaham - Alpha Werewolf
  • Orj (Rep. Locke) - Werewolf

Dead:
  • okiN - Vanilla Townie - Killed Night 1
  • Silver (Rep. Oubliette) - Werewolf - Lynched Day 2
  • Merentha - Guardian Angel - Killed Night 2
  • Vilhjalmr - Vanilla Townie - Lynched Day 3
  • Vulkan (Rep. Orj) - Vanilla Townie - Killed Night 3
  • MaHuD (Rep. Alex_Augmented) - Vanilla Townie - Lynched Day 4
  • Captain Kris  - Vanilla Townie - Killed Night 4
  • Xardob - Vanilla Townie - Lynched Day 5
  • Ativan (Rep. ComingWinter Who Rep. Ativan) - Vanilla Townie - Killed by werewolves overrunning town
  • Whoopin - Seer - Killed by werewolves overrunning town

Werewolf Thread:

This was the thread used by the werewolves during the night phases to chat:

Game Rules:

General Gameplay and Etiquette:
  • You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind.  Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
  • There is no editing or removing of your posts. Please use the preview feature before you post.
  • There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.
  • If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline.  If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions. 
  • Roles with Night actions will not be able to submit an action on Night 0 (i.e. during the confirmation stage).
  • Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.
  • In order for all players to play at least one game day this game will start with a Day phase.  Communication outside the thread (if your role specifically allows it) is allowed until the game begins.
  • As a general rule you should aim for one post every 48 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.
  • All days have strict 1-week deadlines.  Extensions are given only in extreme circumstances.

Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:
  • A simple majority of all living members must agree on one person for a Lynch to occur (simple majority = ½ # of living players +1, rounded down).
  • Votes should be bolded or they may not be counted (e.g. Vote:  Player).
  • Vote revocations should be bolded or they may not be counted (e.g. Unvote: Player or Unvote).  Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
  • You may Vote:  No Lynch - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a Lynch.
  • Votes/Unvotes that are bolded correctly and are unambiguous (with respect to player nicknames/abbreviations) will count.
  • If no one has reached a majority of votes at deadline, a No Lynch will occur.
  • Once you have reached a simple majority no further unvoting will change someone’s fate.
  • Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; the lynched player may not post during twilight but all other living players may continue to post.
  • Once you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post except for a brief “Bah!”-type post.

Miscellaneous/Mechanics:
  • Red or Purple text is reserved for the Mod. No invisible/small text is allowed.
  • Votecounts will be posted once per page or once per day, whichever is less.
  • If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately.  Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
  • The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed.  These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
  • Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.
  • Prods of missing players will be issued upon request or on the 4th day of no activity.  A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to possible replacement without further notice.
  • Rules violations will be dealt with according to their severity, up to and including a Modkill.  Modkills may be accompanied by a change to day/night.
  • Any situation not explicitly covered above is subject to Mod discretion and will be handled as the Mod sees fit on a case-by-case basis.
  • If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread. Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.

The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun!  Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.

The setup is in a simple role format for this All-star game. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, this game is Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly (=Rand(1,4) in Microsoft Excel) chosen from one of four possible setups as detailed below:

* 2 Regular Werewolves, 1 Alpha Werewolf (Roleblocker), 1 Sane Seer, 1 Sane Guardian Angel, 7 Villagers
    * 2 Regular Werewolves, 1 Alpha Werewolf (Roleblocker), 9 Townies
    * 3 Regular Werewolves, 1 Sane Seer, 8 Townies
    * 3 Regular Werewolves, 1 Sane Guardian Angel, 8 Townies

If either of the first two setups are in play, and the situation occurs where the regular werewolves are lynched first, the Roleblocker will still be able to submit both night kills and roleblocks (roleblocking is a function of the Roleblocker; night kills are a function of the scum team as a whole).

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players: (Again chosen by =Rand(1,12) in Microsoft Excel)

You are a member of the Werewolf group along with your partners name and name. You will attempt take the village by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber or equal the populace.

* During the day, try to blend in with the normal Villagers, and attempt to get someone lynched.
    * During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow werewolves (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
    * You may communicate privately with your fellow Werewolves up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
    * You win when the number of Werewolves equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
You are a member of the Werewolf group along with your partners name and name. You will attempt take the village by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber or equal the populace. You are a smarter than a normal werewolf and can help your group by harrassing a player keeping them from leaving their house.

* During the day, try to blend in with the normal Villagers, and attempt to get someone lynched.
    * As a Roleblocker, you have the ability to distract any player throughout the night, effectively negating their night ability, if they have one.
    * Send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to block. If they have no Night action, it will have no effect. You will not be informed as to whether your roleblock worked or not, and players without Night actions will not know you targeted them.
    * During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Werewolves (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
    * You may communicate privately with your fellow Werewolves up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
    * You win when the number of Werewolves equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
You are a normal villager, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.

* You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
    * Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
    * At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
    * You win when all the Werewolf players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
You are the local Seer, and can tell the good guys from the bad.

* Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate.
    * The Moderator will inform you as to that person’s alignment.
    * You will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
    * You win when all the Werewolf players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
You are a Guardian Angel, and can protect the people from harm.

* Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect.
    * If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
    * You may not protect yourself.
    * Your protection target will always live through the night (no quacks).
    * You win when all the Werewolve players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

A thanks to ComingWinter for helping me flesh out my narrative.

It's a cold afternoon in downtown Chicago when Mike Fleming walks into his favorite bar. It's been his place to come after a stressful day at the museum, with warm cherry colored woodwork and polished brass. A cold honey colored beer slides under his nose as soon as he takes his usual spot, five seats from the flatscreen tv.

"You gonna sit there all staring at it or drink up?" the Bartender asks, raising one eyebrow.

Mike laughs and puts a hand through his short, dark brown hair. "Sorry Bill, been a long day at work." As he raises the glass to his mouth, the entrance opens and a gust of cold wind comes in and blows over him. Standing at the door is a young man, no more than twenty five, but tall with broad shoulders and piercing gray eyes. He is wearing a long black wool coat against the cold, making him that more intimidating. He pulls up and sits a seat away from Mike and gestures to Bill.

"A club soda with lemon," he says in deep voice, "if I may." Bill nods casually and ducks beneath the bar for a clean glass. He fills the glass, squeezes half a lemon and slides it deftly to the stranger.

"Chilly weather today," he remarks, sipping his soda.

"Aye," says Mike, trying not to look at the man's face again. Something is odd about his eyes, the way they seem to see right through him.

"What do you do here," he asks, looking at Mike.

Mike shrugs and says hesitantly, "I'm a curator at the local history museum. You?" The stranger smiles broadly, "James Merrilin, entertainer, magician, illusionist and story teller, and you won't find any better!"

"I would not have guessed," replies Mike taken back, "you don't look the type."

"Not many people do," James laughs loudly. Mike is somewhat relieved, the inner anxiety at the stranger somewhat abates. "A storyteller are you?" asks Mike. "I guess you and I have both that in common," he smiles broadly, "but my stories are of more fact than fiction."

"Oh my stories have plenty of fact in them." says James.

"What stories do you tell?" Mike asks, drinking from his glass.

"The recounting of Trebius Germanus, and the event he recorded about the attack of werewolves on the town of Locketside," replies James.

Mike begins to laugh, "I thought this was going to be a story of fact! You started off well it seems the fiction has just started." 

"Indeed," says James almost reprovingly, "Just listen to the story and be a judge of it when it ends."

"Now where was I? Ah yes."

"It was in the year 126 A.D. Trebius Germanus had just finished the first phase of Hadrian's Wall."

"As you know, the land to north of the wall was Valentia and to the south lay Maxima Caesariensis," looking up at Mike, who was getting intrigued by the story.

Mike nodded and James continued on.

"Hadrian's Wall was being built to keep the Picts out of the fertile lands of Roman Britian, giving farmers there peace to plant their crops and settle the land. Locketside was a small town just a stone's throw north of the wall. An encampment mainly, used for the soldiers and their families for shelter as the wall was being built. One day terrible strange things began to happen; foraging parties began to go missing and the dead they found bore gruesome wounds. Wounds no instrument of human hands could make. Huge claw marks were found in the trees outside the town, higher than any bear could reach. Stories spread through the town of men that could change their shape and become giant wolves that terrorized at night. No man or beast was immune to their attacks, for they could outrun any horse and neither fire nor steel held any fear for them.
Trebius and his generals convened at the town, as at this time, the panic was so great that most of the citizens had fled, leaving a handful of men.
They gathered in the great hall, and around the hearth fire they made their deliberations as how to find these wolves."

Day 1 Starts Now. Begin Posting!

Today's Deadline is December 19th at 12:00PM EST.
With 12 alive, it takes 7 votes to lynch.

Well, its been a while.  Anyhow, I like the randomization of the game-type and whether or not we have certain specials.  Interesting.  Anyhow, this means that the Specials can narrow the guess as to which other specials are in play.  If the wolves have an alpha, they know they're in one of the first two types, if there's a seer, the seer knows they're in 1 or 3, and if there's an angel, they know we're in 1 or 4.  Its the third gameplay type that is most interesting to me.  The wolves have a roleblocker while the villagers have no roles. 

This also allows people to falsely claim positions and, unlike the last game I played, there is no certainty that someone can actually claim that role.  For instance, in previous games, someone about to be lynched can claim "hey, I'm a seer."  In previous games, there'd always be a seer available to know that they were lying (or weren't).  Currently, that's not guaranteed.  At best, all it could do is allow one of the villager specials to do is guess at the presence or absence of an alpha wolf. 

If the villagers manage to lynch the alpha wolf, do they get a different victory message than if they lynched a normal wolf?

Vote:  Captain Kris.  I've never played or read a game with him in it, so he's more of an unknown to me than most.  While this is not necessarily bad (some of you are frightening as wolves) it does mean that I have less to work with.  So, no hard feelings. 

Seff said:
Where was the signup for this game? Would have liked to participate.
It was by invitation only.

Merentha said:
Well, its been a while.  Anyhow, I like the randomization of the game-type and whether or not we have certain specials.  Interesting.  Anyhow, this means that the Specials can narrow the guess as to which other specials are in play.  If the wolves have an alpha, they know they're in one of the first two types, if there's a seer, the seer knows they're in 1 or 3, and if there's an angel, they know we're in 1 or 4.
I don't think it makes much of a difference. With 25% chance for each setup, each special/special werewolf has a 50% chance to occur. Even though the specials/alpha wolf can rule out the scenarios where their role doesn't feature, the odds of the other roles featuring is still the same. The only way to ascertain what scenario we are in will come from lynches and night results, or if a special realises they've been blocked during the night.

Merentha said:
If the villagers manage to lynch the alpha wolf, do they get a different victory message than if they lynched a normal wolf?
I'd assume so since it's treated as a different role.

Merentha said:

If there is an Alpha Wolf in this game and you managed to kill him I would announce it. All roles are announced upon being lynched.

Seff said:
Where was the signup for this game? Would have liked to participate.

As Oubliette said. I invited players based upon nominations by other players. No sign-ups were posted. However, I will keep you in mind should I need to replace.

Oubliette said:
I don't think it makes much of a difference. With 25% chance for each setup, each special/special werewolf has a 50% chance to occur. Even though the specials/alpha wolf can rule out the scenarios where their role doesn't feature, the odds of the other roles featuring is still the same. The only way to ascertain what scenario we are in will come from lynches and night results, or if a special realises they've been blocked during the night.
It isn't a huge impact, no, but it still is something to consider and definitely more useful to talk about than random votes.  And it absolutely has an impact on the villager specials.  For instance, if there is an alpha, the angel doesn't have to be killed to be shut down.  Sure, its probably in the wolves' best interest to kill a "known" safe individual, but if they have an alpha, the angel becomes no more powerful than a known villager and the wolves have the ability, during the day, to get the angel lynched by claiming that the angel was clearly lying since nobody was protected.  Seers have to take a bigger gamble if and when they chose to reveal themselves as seers.  If they know there is an angel in play, they can feel a lot more confident in revealing at a crucial moment.  If they don't, which is far more likely, its a much larger gamble since they don't know if they'll survive the night.  In previous games, someone attempting to lay claim to a role could feel confident that someone would either contest it or that there would be information made available during the night.  Without knowing if a role is in play, people claiming roles can have a greater effect on play. 

Basically, there's a lot more uncertainty.

Compared to the last games we had (or at least the currently running game), I´d say there´s a lot more certainity in this one than usual. At least we know all the possible rules and I assume that the latest by day 3 we´ll have the setup figured out.

Anyway, it means we have a minimum of three villains/specials and a maximum of five villains/specials out there. That means at least a quarter of the village is evil/special and at the maximum always half of the village has an interesting role. Considering we have a lot of good players out there (hell yeah, it´s the Allstar game), I think any special or wolf would be very careful to draw too much attention to them early on. Even by the logic of double-bluffs etc., the days are so short, that it´s easiest for them to just float along. The rule is to post once every 48 hours, so it´s perfectly possible to lurk your way into nighttime (without being replaced) with only 3 or 4 posts a gameday. Whether we should root out these people necessarily is another question, as it could just as well be a careful special, but it´s something I´d like to bear in mind.

Another thought goes to the different setups. As a matter of fact, the scenario with the three wolves and no specials seems to be the only one slightly off balance compared to the others. Not so much because of the role-blocking (which would become useless anyway), but because of the fact that it gives the wolves the best odds, as they have no special opposition. While 2 wolves and 1 special can be considered as balanced in comparison with 3 wolves and 2 specials, 3 wolves and no specials would make it a really tough call for the village. But ok, since it´s random, anything goes.

And I agree with Merentha that even if it´s idle talk, it´s better than waiting for everybody drop in and vote randomly so we can start the game...

P.S.: Maybe I´m silly, but where has the smiley bar gone in the new forum layout?

Actually this post is full of words missing or appearing at wrong spots, but I suppose you all catch the drift. Gotta get used to not moderating anymore and thus no editing. Excuses for the triple post.

Merentha said:
(What Mer said)
I agree with that. It was just the bit about specials being able to narrow down their guesses to which specials are in play which was wrong. As soon as another special or the alpha werewolf is killed, a special will, however, know for certain what setup we are in, whereas the villagers have to wait for more than one to be confirmed. 'Course, if we're in the second setup, we might not know it until the end of the game.

Oubliette said:
Merentha said:
(What Mer said)
I agree with that. It was just the bit about specials being able to narrow down their guesses to which specials are in play which was wrong. As soon as another special or the alpha werewolf is killed, a special will, however, know for certain what setup we are in, whereas the villagers have to wait for more than one to be confirmed. 'Course, if we're in the second setup, we might not know it until the end of the game.
Ah, yes.  I understand what you meant now.  And yeah, Adaham:  The one with no human specials does seem a bit...****, honestly.  I like it being a game without any particular roles, making it the most "pure" but I also don't know how I feel about having to lynch three wolves successfully to win. 

Back
Top Bottom