Mount & Blade Warband Infantry Primer

Users who are viewing this thread

ares007 said:
Also, Scientia Excelsa, if you want to ever practice manual block or another aspect of melee let me know. I've got some drills that are good for working on certain things (btw, did you read my melee articles on the "you know what wiki I'm talking about *wink wink*"?). I also really wouldn't mind helping the less-skilled HOBOS improve their melee as well.

Well, I don't consider myself one of the "less-skilled HOBOS", (pardon my self-assertion) but I would love to spend some time on my manual blocking.  I've only lately realized that I didn't put nearly enough work into it in my early days of Warband, because I'm primarily a spear user.  Spears having an extremely aggressive playstyle and requiring much more distance control than blocking skill.

Scientia Excelsa said:
Well, I don't consider myself one of the "less-skilled HOBOS", (pardon my self-assertion) but I would love to spend some time on my manual blocking.  I've only lately realized that I didn't put nearly enough work into it in my early days of Warband, because I'm primarily a spear user.  Spears having an extremely aggressive playstyle and requiring much more distance control than blocking skill.

sorry, I didn't mean to indicate that you were a less-skilled HOBO  :razz:

I certainly wouldn't consider myself to be an uber awesome 1337 pwnzor  :mrgreen: . I'm actually pretty rusty now and have only recently started to practice again. Currently I think there are a number of HOBOS that would best me in a duel (though I can still beat Julia in melee most of the time  :razz: )

I merely wanted to offer myself as a practice partner, and also to offer my services in case some Hobonoobs needed some instruction/practice, perhaps a Hobotrainer, Hoboinstructor, Hoboprovost, or Hobocoach (though I still do love the title: HoboBond :grin: ). Actually, "I think I'd make a better coach than a player" (a Hobocookie if you know what that line is from). After all, I am still technically the "head instructor" or "director" of Calradian Academy of Arms (founded by me some months ago :razz: ).

Of course, I don't mean to take this off topic.

Perhaps we could talk some about what are the indications about whether you should play defensively or offensively.

Scientia Excelsa said:
Nor I, sadly.  It's not as vital as some people think, but it puts a big hole in your combat prowess.  I need to spend more time in a DM server practicing this, but that mode usually just makes me rage.  :???:

Scipio you bum, if ever you want to learn manual block just tap me on the shoulder.  I will be happy to practice with you...it is the least I can do for the person who "taught me everything."  :lol:

Excellent guide.

Two comments:

1.At the start, you mentioned that all weapons can attack from the side. Not true of pikes/awlpikes/ashwood pikes and of course lances of all descriptions (and melee javs if you wanna be picky).

2. You said that pike can not be used with a shield. In fact, regular pike can, it's only awl/ashwood pikes that can't.

Manual block is hard  :sad: I spent ages in DM practicing, forced myself to get a 2H and just manual block i can block left and right attacks and sometimes overheads but stabs get me everytime :sad:

In 2v1 or more situations i find the best tactic (If you have the best sheild) is to coax them into being stupid, keep back peddaling and blocking after a while suprise someone with a stab and you usually get a kill, Best to block one then stab the next guy attacking because usually the 2nd guy is behind the first guy so you can stab him if he's being reckless and preparing an attack ahead of time

A very good guide (except that you encourage people to use several shields...)

Nice work! :grin:

HTAPAWASO said:
2. You said that pike can not be used with a shield. In fact, regular pike can, it's only awl/ashwood pikes that can't.
No, not since last patch. No pikes can be used with shields anymore.

Hey thanks HTAPAWASO, I'll fix that up towards the top, and what beaver said, the last patch made it so the pike isn't used with a shield anymore.

Well, it looks like I've got two sparring partners now!

As for defensive style vs. aggressive, I think it depends more upon the weapon selection than the player.  That's why different players usually prefer a certain gear setup, because it matches their personal style.

Well now there is a whole new bunch of stuff to try out. I got invalidated after a day :wink: I'll have to update this after I figure out how to play again now hehe.

Reapy, this is an excellent guide that will help beginners for sure. You could lead groups of tourists! Just kidding...  :mrgreen:

Nice guide Reapy. You're definitely a very skilled infantry player, I remember the first time we fought I'd break your shield and we'd have a big block-and-strike fight, usually with you the victor.  :razz:

Nice guide reapy but why did you say picks are reasonably fast?  They are the slowest one-handers in the game with the exception of bastard weapons used with shield.

Beaver said:
A very good guide (except that you encourage people to use several shields...)

Nice work! :grin:

HTAPAWASO said:
No, not since last patch. No pikes can be used with shields anymore.

Oops, my bad, haven't tried it in a while. Thanks for correction.

Hey everyone!

What do you think about the new melee combat changes? How do you think they will affect melee combat tactics?

-parries
-chamber blocks
-long axe polearm mode
etc

Hrm, I guess with picks I was thinking vs like a winged mace, always seemed a bit faster then that but I could be wrong.  Also, I won't really be able to update this for a while since I can't really get in to play... Just had our first son born 12/15, so things have been sort of hectic, but we are settling into it, but in the mean time, my gaming time is severely cut back :smile:

Hopefully everything here still stays pretty valid as patches move on as most of it up top is pretty general guidelines.  The game has always been changing a bunch anyway, so more specific info probably isn't a good idea. Anywho, when I have more time to play so I know a bit more what I'm talking about, will try to keep it up to date as more patches come in.

Picks ARE reasonable fast in the new patch, and their reach makes them a viable weapon again.  They also got a damage buff, if I'm not mistaken.  I still want a falchion for the Rhodoks, though.

What would be a recomendation for noob (like myself :oops:) to setup controls - like what kind of setup for atack and block direction is better in long run?

I've tryed setting atack direction to movement keys, but this basically shows off your swing/thurst as you start moving the same way. Right now for manull blocking mouse movement (not inverse) looks just fine as doing it with movement keys simple dosn't work if you press two buttons at the same time, like forward and right for example.

So what would you recommend?

Probably in the long run stick with the mouse. They keyboard blocking got added in later but I don't think many people use it. I know I said when I started that it would be better, and it is good to have more options, but after playing a bit, having the attack and block direction with the mouse is the quickest and best way to go in the end. Whether you pick inverse or not is personal preference.  Also if you change any keys that is personal preference also.

I finally have weened myself of asdw and have moved to the right with sdfe so I have more extra buttons to push around. I did it when playing wow as I ran out of buttons on the side and now it's my default set up. I know some players have moved block or attack off the mouse and used a key also.

In general I'd say what you should do, esp since warband doesn't have too many keys, is make sure from your setup you can do everything without your hands coming off the movement keys. Also you will probably want kick and the swap between thrown/melee buttons set to keys that you can hit pretty fast as you tend to want to him them in the heat of combat. Weapon dropping and picking up can be stuff you leave off to the side if there is no room over by your left hand.

Also this current patch is a bit weird, I am sort of waiting for the next one before I start playing heavily again (Not having much free time anyway :smile: ).

But yeah as always with any action game, make sure you find what is comfortable for you and you can hit whatever button you need without hunting around and you'll do fine. :smile:

Back
Top Bottom